• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The new ANZ stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

The stadium will be redesigned. Construction of the new stadium will finish in 2021, with Sydney guaranteed one Bledisloe Cup Test for the following decade.

The redeveloped ANZ Stadium will have multiple operational modes to ensure that the atmosphere and spectator comfort is optimal at every event.

Under the Stadium rectangular redevelopment plan, capacity will be about 75,000 for major events, fully scalable for club matches. The three match-day modes are: Intimate Mode – 20K; Big-Game Mode – 35K; Major Event Mode - 75K.

At the heart of the redevelopment is the ability for the Stadium to configure appropriately for small, medium and large events. A high capacity is crucial for the major-events Stadium in Australia’s largest city. However, there will be a dramatic down-scaling of the venue for regular-season club games involving any code.

The existing one-tone blue seats at the Stadium will also be replaced, with a seating profile similar to that used at the Gabba being introduced, so that any empty seats are less obvious.

By bringing fans up to 48m closer to the action, and to within 5m of the field of play, the atmosphere and energy will go to a new level.

The proposed retractable roof, even in the open position, will cover more of the Stadium, so will further improve atmosphere

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/the-stadium/anz-stadium-redevelopment/

This topic is important for Aussie Rugby, is the home of the Wallabies. I couldn't find a thread about this. If there is a thread, please close this one.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Looks impressive.
There had been some discussion on the Stadiums in the Tahs thread and debate as to whether the Tahs need to embrace the West rather just being the East Sydney Tahs.
It's not just an East vs West thing. The North Shore and Hills District are strong rugby heartlands, however I'm aware of many rugby fans in those areas who don't travel to Allianz because it's a challenge to get to, either by train or travelling across the bridge/tunnel. They don't particularly like ANZ in its current version but it is much easier to access from where they live. Thats one of the reasons why the Tahs (and Wallaby) games get good attendance there.
Rugby needs to connect better with the West, ANZ is one part of that, but it also better services current heartland areas.
It's a very important step to redo ANZ. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Only 1811 more sleeps to go.

T

TOCC

We should clarify its not a 'new' ANZ, it is merely an upgrade of the existing one, albeit a bloody expensive upgrade. Which means the same fundamental issues will remain, the overall superstructure of the stadium won't be changing too drastically, the main stands and the majority of the seats will remain in the same spot they now are.

Building a new lower tier which pushes seats right up to the sideline is an improvement and should improve the experience, but the big issue is that the seats in the main stands won't be any closer to the game. Anyone who has sat in those seats will know how difficult it is to watch and get involved in a game.

Atmosphere may improve with a roof echoing noise but this 'scaling' for events won't really improve the experience. When they say 'scaling' they are talking abut pulling giant curtains across the seats which aren't been used(check out Vancouver Seven's for more on this). It may improve intimacy slightly but it won't reduce the overall size of the stadium.

I actually think this upgrade is a bad outcome, Sydney needs a dedicated rectangular stadium built from scratch, not a converted oval stadium.

The great rectangular stadiums in the world have stands which are almost directly above the lower tier bring the fans in the upper tiers closer to the action. Suncorps stadium upper tier still has great seats and gives you the feeling you are looking directly down on the action. That's what ANZ needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
TOCC, they're building an entirely new seating bowl. This image suggests that most seats will, in fact, be much closer to the action:

east-west-stands.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Remembering of course that rugby isn't footing the bill, that is a good result.

NRL will have a lot of games there during the season, as well as finals and bigger events like ORRRRRRRJN! and internationals.

FFA will probably use it for internationals, as it will be the largest rectangular ground in the country. Don't be surprised if they end up using it as their home base moving forward, to give fans the best experience.

Throw in gala events like visiting EPL clubs and it will do alright.

T

TOCC

TOCC, they're building an entirely new seating bowl. This image suggests that most seats will, in fact, be much closer to the action:

east-west-stands.png

There you go, I was unaware of that, some of the renders seemed to indicate they were retaining the existing stand.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Moving the ground-level seats closer to the action shouldn't be too much of a problem, as is squaring off the ends. But I'd dearly like to know how the upper deck seats are going to end up some 30/40m further forward, as indicated in that rough sketch.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Moving the ground-level seats closer to the action shouldn't be too much of a problem, as is squaring off the ends. But I'd dearly like to know how the upper deck seats are going to end up some 30/40m further forward, as indicated in that rough sketch.

I reckon that they'd have to demolish the entire current second deck and roof to do what is implied in the sketch. And realistically, that's the biggest single problem with the ground. There's plenty of money, so here's hoping the result is good.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Remembering of course that rugby isn't footing the bill, that is a good result.

NRL will have a lot of games there during the season, as well as finals and bigger events like ORRRRRRRJN! and internationals.

FFA will probably use it for internationals, as it will be the largest rectangular ground in the country. Don't be surprised if they end up using it as their home base moving forward, to give fans the best experience.

Throw in gala events like visiting EPL clubs and it will do alright.

If it's done well, there's no reason why it can't be one of the best stadia in the world.

T

TOCC

That's my question mark on the project, I'm not convinced that they will move those seats that much closer to the ground..

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Looking at the rough sketch I don't think the upper decks will be 30 or 40m further forward.
Looks like the bottom 1/2 seats are substantially improved.
Not so much the top 1/2.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looking at the rough sketch I don't think the upper decks will be 30 or 40m further forward.
Looks like the bottom 1/2 seats are substantially improved.
Not so much the top 1/2.
The diagram puts the uppermost seats about 25 seats forward of the original position, and about 13 seats down.

Easily 30 metres.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
As an outsider from QLD I would prefer it to stay oval shaped and have a larger cricket ground in Sydney to host international cricket and rebuild the new rectangle design somewhere else, maybe Parramatta?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As an outsider from QLD I would prefer it to stay oval shaped and have a larger cricket ground in Sydney to host international cricket and rebuild the new rectangle design somewhere else, maybe Parramatta?

Parramatta Stadium already getting a rebuild to upgrade to 30,000 seating capacity, with offices, training facilities etc. That will host the NRL and Wanderers nicely.

Another cricket stadium in Sydney is out of the question. The SCG holds enough for cricket @ 45,000 and can be expanded further if required - PROVIDED they retain the Members and Ladies stands. It also holds the Swans for the next 20 years. The Giants are stuck out at Spotless (Showground) until their popularity improves - and it has room to add more seating if required.

With the SFS serving as the 45,000 stadium in the Eastern Suburbs, redeveloping ANZ is a sensible option. A city this size needs a gala venue that can hold over 70k for big events, and most of those in NSW occur on a rugby, league, or soccer pitch.

T

TOCC

The diagram puts the uppermost seats about 25 seats forward of the original position, and about 13 seats down.

Easily 30 metres.

Nah 16.5m for the main stands

I've seen the plans elsewhere, il try and find a link.. The stands at the goal posts end will be rebuilt closer.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Is this the ANZ Stadium competing with Allianz Stadium to see who gets the bucket of (state) government cash?

Even more dramatic plans for the end stands:

kyo1eku.png

Status
Not open for further replies.