• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The new ANZ stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So how much is going to cost?
700 mil, apparently:

The NRL is being inundated with offers from interstate and overseas to host the grand final but ANZ Stadium management has defiantly refused to give up hope of retaining the game’s showpiece event during the four-year period when it undergoes a major refurbishment.
“I hope this doesn’t become a squabble over one, or two, or three grand finals,” Kerry said.​
“I hope common sense prevails. Whatever that means, I am never going to advocate so strongly there are no alternatives. Clearly there are always going to be alternatives.​
... “Our view is that what we should do is keep the stadium open under its refurbishment and reduce the capacity at key times. We have done that on the basis that we certainly don’t want to lose any major event, let alone the grand final.​
... The Queensland, Victorian and West Australian governments, along with Auckland super stadium Eden Park, have already expressed an interest in hosting the grand final while ANZ Stadium is undergoing a $700 million facelift.​
... The most likely scenario would appear to be the NRL moving two of the four grand finals while ANZ Stadium undergoes an overhaul, with Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium and Melbourne’s MCG the favourites.​
The other two grand finals would remain in Sydney. The temptation for the NRL, which has already declared it will not play the grand final in a construction zone, to take the game on the road is amplified by the financial carrot.​

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Moving the ground-level seats closer to the action shouldn't be too much of a problem, as is squaring off the ends. But I'd dearly like to know how the upper deck seats are going to end up some 30/40m further forward, as indicated in that rough sketch.

Presumably they'll build a new bowl inside the old one.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
What's wrong with the SCG, one of the great cricket grounds of the world?

absolutely nothing, but I hope as the population of Australia grows we are not stuck with a 50000 capacity cricket ground in our biggest city.

We will also lose a ground capable of an Olympic or Commonwealth games bid if it goes rectangle.

I guess I am doing something that government does not think of...the future.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
absolutely nothing, but I hope as the population of Australia grows we are not stuck with a 50000 capacity cricket ground in our biggest city.

We will also lose a ground capable of an Olympic or Commonwealth games bid if it goes rectangle.

I guess I am doing something that government does not think of.the future.

1) Melbourne will soon be the biggest city in Australia

2) There is still room to develop further at the SCG, fear not.

3) Why the hell would we ever go for hosting the Olympics again? Massively corrupt piece of shit, and financially well beyond our reach at this point.

4) If they can host the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast, then they can probably run them in Blacktown.

T

TOCC

1) Melbourne will soon be the biggest city in Australia

ABS don't forecast this occurring until 2056, a lot can happen in 40 years as well, and Sydney population growth has really increased in recent years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I guess I am doing something that government does not think of.the future.

No one thinks of the future LB. Back in the 1980s, the SFS/Alliance was supposed to be 60,000 capacity - save a bit of money, keep the local residents happy and make it 40,000. It soon became apparent that it was too small and there have been efforts made over the years to fit more seats in - currently it's up to 46,000. Unforunately the design of the ground means that its virtually impossible to do anything major there as the stands and roof are essentially one structure. So, farsighted people come up with an idea to knock it down and build a 55,000 seat stadium in the Suncorp mould and we get it knocked over by some good old-fashioned petty parochialism and short term self-interest.

Result for rugby - the ground which we use once a year for Bledisloe gets most of the money, the ground which the Waratahs refuse to consider (Parramatta) gets a complete rebuild and the ground which most major rugby games are played at (SFS/Alliance) gets a minor makeover with whatever money is left over from the first two.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
How often do they fill the SFS? The current capacity seems ample from what I can see. Do you really want a ground that is 3/4 empty for 99% of games?

And I wonder if having a smaller ground helps with membership sales. In a big ground you could be more confident of just buying a ticket on the day and still getting a decent seat

T

TOCC

Expanding the capacity of the SFS is impractical, it rarely reaches capacity in its current state and the stadium itself is limited by accessibility constraints, light-rail will help in this regard but it's not the ultimate solution.

Best location for a Eastern Suburbs station would be in vicinity of Central Station, but for political and financial reasons that won't occur.

An upgrade of the existing stadium is the sensible outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The diagram puts the uppermost seats about 25 seats forward of the original position, and about 13 seats down.

Easily 30 metres.
Ok, Yeah the last row is a fair bit lower, so a little better than I thought.
Still the biggest improvement is behind the posts ( where I like to sit)
And the bottom 1/3 along the sideline (which is also good)
The sceptic in me worries about the pitch being lowered by 3m.
Surface quality seems to be an issue in stadia worldwide.(Melbourne last week, is a good example)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So how much is going to cost?

Building new and/or upgrading existing stadiums is a cheap alternative compared with building some public infrastructure that is actually needed (like upgraded/new rail lines).

Like all the current political events, there's a Utopia episode that covers it (about building a new stadium in Tasmania).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How often do they fill the SFS? The current capacity seems ample from what I can see. Do you really want a ground that is 3/4 empty for 99% of games?

And I wonder if having a smaller ground helps with membership sales. In a big ground you could be more confident of just buying a ticket on the day and still getting a decent seat

Expanding the capacity of the SFS is impractical, it rarely reaches capacity in its current state and the stadium itself is limited by accessibility constraints, light-rail will help in this regard but it's not the ultimate solution.

Best location for a Eastern Suburbs station would be in vicinity of Central Station, but for political and financial reasons that won't occur.

An upgrade of the existing stadium is the sensible outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using the logic that you only cater for the capacity which can be regularly filled, then we wouldn't build anything over 30,000 capacity anywhere in Sydney.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Building new and/or upgrading existing stadiums is a cheap alternative compared with building some public infrastructure that is actually needed (like upgraded/new rail lines).

Governments of all persuasions waste our money on any number of nonsense projects every day of the week. If you think that any money saved by not building sports stadia will go to some other more desireable use, then I fear you may be disappointed.

If a department is allocated money and aren't going to spend it all, they just reallocate it within their own area - making sure that the money is spent within a certain time frame. After holding numerous committee meetings and the like over many months (at our expense).

EDIT: Manly Rugby League already have their hands out for $10 million of it.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A relatively small stadium that sometimes fills completely is fine. Some people miss out sometimes. Unlucky. But regular users get a better experience often. What SFS needs is a quality upgrade, not more seats.

How often has SFS actually sold out, and when has anyone ever considered that to be a bad thing? Who apart from politics tragics has ever looked at a packed sports stadium and complained about the opportunity cost that implies?

ANZ doesn't get big games because it's a better choice. It gets them because its own economics forced its owners to offer rugby an unbeatable price. And there's nothing we can do to the SFS to change that, apart from making it so unsuccessful that it has to offer knock-down prices too.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Like all the current political events, there's a Utopia episode that covers it (about building a new stadium in Tasmania).

Trust me mate, we here in WA understand that completely.

That said, Subiaco Oval is well past its use by date and the new stadium needed to happen sooner or later. We have at least had new railways lines and extensions to existing ones put in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.