• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The new Wallaby jersey

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
and unfortunately therein lies the problem with modern jersey design. Need to be fashion statements.

To be honest, I'm not as disappointed in this thing as I was the last one, but that's mostly because I just wasn't really expecting much from ASICS. Perhaps they were trying to be fashionable with this, but if so I think they missed the mark.

It works as a training jersey, or even fan t shirt, but it doesn't feel like it should be the wallabies' jersey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Wouldn't a simpler design work best for that then?

I'd like to think I'm a pretty fashionable bloke, in line with my own thinking, plain Crew neck and V neck T-Shirts are a lot more popular than Ed Hardy shirts from what I see out in public.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Who cares - if they win the RWC Cup in it, guarantee most of you will be wearing it with pride for at least the rest of 2015 and probably half of 2016.

Probably buy 3 or 4 so you never have to wear anything else ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is a truly horrible design.

What is that shit on the shoulder?

Why make the thing canary yellow?

Why make it look like a gay cycling shirt with that anus motif (sorry ASICs logo) in the middle of it?

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
When your sport is as short as many dollars as the ARU seems to be, having a jersey that supporters can see themselves wearing to more places than the couple of Tests they might go to is a pretty good idea.

I see your thinking, but do you think people will buy this thing? In team sports like rugby what sells best is history and tribalism; keep chopping and changing your designs all the time and you undermine that.

I'd personally be more inclined to buy a League Kangaroos jersey over this because like the All Blacks the design is constant and only the minor details are tinkered with.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I see your thinking, but do you think people will buy this thing? In team sports like rugby what sells best is history and tribalism; keep chopping and changing your designs all the time and you undermine that.

I'd personally be more inclined to buy a League Kangaroos jersey over this because like the All Blacks the design is constant and only the minor details are tinkered with.

Yeah that's fair enough - I too like teams that don't stray too much from their core design/colours etc.

In saying that, this is a jersey I would probably buy and wear if it wasn't a Wallaby one and I wasn't such a staunch AB fan. I actually like the sleeve cos it gives it just that little bit of a break from the all gold look.

Each to is own though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It is a truly horrible design.

What is that shit on the shoulder?

Why make the thing canary yellow?

Why make it look like a gay cycling shirt with that anus motif (sorry ASICs logo) in the middle of it?
Really? Not sure this bit is necessary.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That's a shocker! Looks like something you'd get for free if you buy two cartons of XXXX and then send away your bar codes.
Is it legit? I only ask because the Wallabies Facebook page is saying that the new Jersey is launched tomorrow. That's a big leak if it's on here today.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I maintain that if the actual colour of the jersey is more gold like last year's design then it's going to look ok..............

I'm glad they got rid of the raised white fake "popped collar" look from last year..............

I mean, the fake collars some jerseys have are bad enough, but a fake "popped collar" is just a crime against humanity.

At least it's better than the Bok one with the strange armbands............

Still, it would be nice if we had Nike on board and received the consistently simple yet perfect jersey designs that the Socceroos get.........

T

Train Without a Station

It's not better than the Bok one. The Bok one is basically the most popular Wallabies jersey ever with the colours inverted.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
It's not better than the Bok one. The Bok one is basically the most popular Wallabies jersey ever with the colours inverted.

Beat me to it. Was about to say the same thing. Last year's Bok jersey was genuinely good, but this year's wasn't the worst thing by a long shot

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, those golden armbands are an eyesore, and what's with the bedazzling on the front?

T

Train Without a Station

W-AS-122918SR_1.jpg

Inverting the colours of this (And of course changing the logos) would have probably been the classiest option. Inverting the current Boks one for a modern take on the 99-2004 model would have also been slick.

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
I wish the Wallabies would adopt a similar position taken by the NZRU in keeping a traditional jersey/strip. The All Blacks have essentially never changed their jersey apart from some minimalist additions over time I.e. sponsors etc.

As mentioned previously on here, the Wallabies should go back to their early 1990s design, like what Nobody is wearing below. A classic jersey.

nobody.jpg