• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The new Wallaby jersey

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Me, but we established yesterday that I'm not In my right mind. :)

I have grey version that I bought on sale. I put it on when I get out of bed in winter. Then I turn on the heaters and go 'crap it's hot in here' and then I take the jumper off.

You're 22, how on earth can you afford a jersey? Shouldn't you be saving the deposit for an apartment?

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
This may not be the correct forum, and probably no-one will even read it, however I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't make some sort of effort to have my thoughts heard.
Why do we need to introduce an indigenous Wallabies jersey? I recognise that other codes have done this and I have admired Australian Rugby's stance not to introduce any of that nonsense to their apparel. The Wallabies jersey is unquestionably worn without any reference to race or colour. It is one of the few items in life that can only be given to a person that has worked hard, sacrificed much and deserving . It is the emblem of one of our greatest national teams and most certainly the Wallabies jersey nor its does not care the race or colour of who wears it, only that he is worthy and has the appropriate character to continue it's legacy. It is one of the few things that unites us, ignores colour and race, and ultimately wants everyone to strive for the same goal of success. I think it is a wonderful representation of the ideal society. Keep it unchanged, its neither black nor white, it belongs to the Australian people.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This may not be the correct forum, and probably no-one will even read it, however I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't make some sort of effort to have my thoughts heard.
Why do we need to introduce an indigenous Wallabies jersey? I recognise that other codes have done this and I have admired Australian Rugby's stance not to introduce any of that nonsense to their apparel. The Wallabies jersey is unquestionably worn without any reference to race or colour. It is one of the few items in life that can only be given to a person that has worked hard, sacrificed much and deserving . It is the emblem of one of our greatest national teams and most certainly the Wallabies jersey nor its does not care the race or colour of who wears it, only that he is worthy and has the appropriate character to continue it's legacy. It is one of the few things that unites us, ignores colour and race, and ultimately wants everyone to strive for the same goal of success. I think it is a wonderful representation of the ideal society. Keep it unchanged, its neither black nor white, it belongs to the Australian people.

I think recognising and celebrating our indigenous heritage rather than ignoring it is a great step forward for Australian Rugby and something that we need more of in Australian society.

It is a jersey to wear once at this stage.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
I think recognising and celebrating our indigenous heritage rather than ignoring it is a great step forward for Australian Rugby and something that we need more of in Australian society.

It is a jersey to wear once at this stage.

I don't think anyone was ignoring it previously. In my opinion the jersey is an Australian jersey. Owned by all people, if we celebrate the indigenous is not also far to say we should have an Immigrant jersey as well? Where does it end?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yeah, nah..............

I don't see how celebrating our indigenous people affects any of that.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Your argument would suggest that we could see a migrant jersey in the near future. This type of recognition only creates division. One jersey one country.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Perhaps maybe ponder it a little more and it may come to you, try and use logic rather than emotion.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Perhaps maybe ponder it a little more and it may come to you, try and use logic rather than emotion.

No, this kind of rationale has been trotted out by prejudiced people before on other issues..........

If you could try to explain how celebrating our Indigenous culture with a jersey somehow leaves to division and a need for jerseys for cats and dogs then I'm all ears.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd suggest that it is you using straw man/slippery slope arguments which have no basis in reality.

The fact that we have introduced a Wallaby jersey celebrating our indigenous history and culture in no way suggests we will now have a multitude of other jerseys.

I think you should examine your own values if you think a jersey celebrating our indigenous history and culture is something that creates division.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
I'd suggest that it is you using straw man/slippery slope arguments which have no basis in reality.

The fact that we have introduced a Wallaby jersey celebrating our indigenous history and culture in no way suggests we will now have a multitude of other jerseys.

I think you should examine your own values if you think a jersey celebrating our indigenous history and culture is something that creates division.

Firstly please discount any prejudice as I have none.
My argument is based upon the same reasoning Mandella's Springboks would not play the Maori All Blacks, division,isolation, and celebration of one race over another causes problems. The jersey should belong to all Australians.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It does...

Indeed.
Just as God Defend NZ, and nkosi sikelel iAfrika are sung in different languages; and all Kiwis do the Haka. I don't think white South Africans feel disenfranchised singing nor do Kiwis of any cultural background other than Maori feel it's inappropriate to do the Haka. Recognising cultural heritages should never be a problem. Especially indigenous ones.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My argument is based upon the same reasoning Mandella's Springboks would not play the Maori All Blacks, division,isolation, and celebration of one race over another causes problems.

It is also worth noting that SARU removed this policy because they realised how stupid it was.

An indigenous team is not the inverse of a team that excludes people based on race.