• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The new Wallaby jersey

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can someone tell me the history and reason why we used to have an almost Orange or burnt orange coloured jersey back at least to the 2nd world cup.

Then it stated morphing into the Yellow and Gold colour.

Why the change?
It's an interesting story. The jerseys actually morphed in colour due to the properties of Phil Kearns tears (of joy) at winning the 1991 RWC. Of course, modern science hadn’t yet caught up to the caustic properties of said tears and so the mystery of the salty beggars continually leaching down and into the jersey, and into the other jerseys in the wash, and affecting the jerseys colour, was a mystery that had remained unsolved to this very day.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Can someone tell me the history and reason why we used to have an almost Orange or burnt orange coloured jersey back at least to the 2nd world cup.

Then it stated morphing into the Yellow and Gold colour.

Why the change? I actually like the original colour better and is not similar to any other nation.

Loved the egg-yolk gold of the 91 world cup, and the years surrounding it. Don't know why they changed from the winning colour. So many people fell in love with Wallabies under that shade of gold. It was also a similar colour for the 84 grand slam jersey, although that jersey had the green adidas stripes (also very cool). People also feel in love with the Wallabies then too. Why change from that? Obviously, it can't look like an adidas brand. But the shade of gold is what counts.

I reckon they should bring that shade of gold back. It's pretty close to the shade of gold on the bok's jersey.

Apparently there is an official Australian gold, which might be what they're aiming for. But the gold of old was 'our' gold.

I like the new indigenous jersey, but the green should be darker. Again, similar to the bok's green - the colour of dark gum leaves of the Australian bush.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Have to agree with the above. The canary yellow is garish and I can't remember the last time I was tempted to buy a Wallabies jersey. They seem to be getting worse with the shiny plastic coating they've started incorporating for the sponsor's logo. The cotton throwback versions aren't much better, but I do appreciate the effort. Instead I find myself intermittently checking eBay for a jumper from those golden years, one in my size, in decent condition and that doesn't cost a bomb. Needless to say I'm still searching.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm sure this has been said elsewhere, but I couldn't but an Australia or Queensland replica jersey. To me they're still rep jerseys, to be earned. Iwish they'd just produce a supporters jersey that can be worn to the game/pub that actually look ok. Maybe with the old school orange and bottle green, or the green and white sleeve stripes.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
19961590_10155333923580731_4590704926156988328_n.jpg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I can't help but think that a different dark colour instead of Green would make me like it more.

I like it, but it could be better. And it wouldn't necessarily be an affront to Wallabies colours to do so, particularly given it's for the indigenous players.

Reactions: gel

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm sure this has been said elsewhere, but I couldn't but an Australia or Queensland replica jersey. To me they're still rep jerseys, to be earned. Iwish they'd just produce a supporters jersey that can be worn to the game/pub that actually look ok. Maybe with the old school orange and bottle green, or the green and white sleeve stripes.

Nothing like portly middle aged men wearing near florescent Lycra

There was a comment Hodgson about the difference between the "see of blue" watching the Force and the Tahs supporters who always appear dressed to go out after the game. (well you have to most pubs away from the ground precinct have a no supporters gear policy)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm glad they are making the effort. Far more needs to be done to engage the indigenous community (yes, yes - and the rest of us).

For what it's worth, I like the jersey too - although given my fashion sense, that's probably a bad sign.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

There was a comment Hodgson about the difference between the "see of blue" watching the Force and the Tahs supporters who always appear dressed to go out after the game. (well you have to most pubs away from the ground precinct have a no supporters gear policy)

That seems to be in line with Sydney's general 'no fun' nightlife policy......... ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There really aren't many pubs in the precinct that deny you for having a Waratahs jersey on.

I'm really tempted to buy this jersey although I normally buy the cotton classic jerseys rather than the replica ones and this is only available as a replica.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That seems to be in line with Sydney's general 'no fun' nightlife policy... ;)

mmm that does baffle me, being old whether or not I can get a drink at 3.00am doesn't cause me too many issues; and looking back I am comfortable that my previous drinking beyond 3.00am never led anywhere good ever

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Being 22 myself, I wouldn't wear a fucking Waratahs jersey out for a night on the town if you paid me, especially not the game-day jerseys that they sell.

The fit is horrendous, the colour is horrendous, the entire style is horrendous.

For a game of footy? Great. For a night out? Terrible.

They should produce some long-sleeve, old school, vintage styles that younger people might like. A bit like

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/IFMAAOSwX~dWlKMI/s-l225.jpg

or

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RO8AAOSwtnpXi0a0/s-l300.jpg

or

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/261262379354-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

(Yes I am aware these are rugby league jerseys, but the style is so much better)

Who in their right fucking mind would wear this?

https://www.canterburynz.com.au/images/waratahs-supporters-hoodie-2017-p4061-16267_medium.jpg

Some Waratahs bucket hats would't be bad either. Ain't nobody my age wearing a Waratahs cap.