• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Number Eight Situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Okay, assuming that Palu has seriously done his knee (which is looks like he has).

Australia finds itself needing a new number eight.

However, watching tonight's Brumbies game, I am more and more and more coming around to the idea of Elsom as a number 8.

He was dynamic with the ball in hand, was dropping back excellently to run kicks back and generally playing around the ground how I would want a number 8 to play.

Further, moving him there means that we are able to play someone like Higginbotham (if he keeps up his form) as number 6.

Thoughts?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He seems the most likely, but not if it means playing a lightweight 6. We need some grunt there. I'd be amazed if Palu isn't gone for the season.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
If Palu is shot, then I think the best backrow would be Elsom, Pocock, Hodgson. Unfortunately with Horwill injured the only viable 2nd row is Sharpe and Mumm, otherwise I would consider Mumm at 6.

Higgy's going to be in the squad I reckon, but I can't see him starting. Hopefully he'll come on even more next season.

TPN is our first choice hooker and whilst his lineout throwing is a liability, he offers a great deal in the tight and in the scrum.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
What's the general consensus on Dick Brown's chances of making the squad?

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
DPK said:
What's the general consensus on Dick Brown's chances of making the squad?

Its entirely up to him. He has 5 rounds left to make a big impression.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We need someone who has a complete axe-murderer attitude toward running the ball up. So Dicky Brown or TPN are the only ones in the frame, because Pocock is going to be starting 7 or on the bench behind Waugh.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
This is a big problem.

I can live with Rocky at 8 (cue Cutter...)

So for 6;

With the laws this year, you've gotta figure to err on the side of a guy who can carry and counter-ruck, rather than scavange.

Higgers is no where close on those and despite the right physique, seems to be still playing sevens.

Makes you want to think about TPN, but with only two class hookers, we can't spare him (except maybe, late off the bench?)

Mummba is needed at lock

Hodgson's had a blinder scavenging at 7 in Pocock's absence, but is he a ball carrying cleanout merchant? (genuine question)

Brown will have to pull ingots out of his arse to convince me he deserves another shot

:nta:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gagger said:
Brown will have to pull ingots out of his arse to convince me he deserves another shot

I'd prefer he play rugby but if arse games are your thing...

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Tahs are stuff if this is the case. If brown can claim down at the breakdown and not get sent off as much i wouldn't mind him.

C

CanadianRugby

6. Elsom 8. Brown

Still not in favor of Elsom at 8, last time he played there his control wasn't great and in games against SA or NZ that's a much bigger problem than in super 14. I admit I'm not at all thrilled about Brown or Higgenbatty at 8, and I think most people believe Hoiles can't do it, since he isn't that big.

I think people need to remember that playing 8 is a different skill set, which takes some learning. Playing at the back of the scrum can be tough.

S

Spook

CanadianRugby said:
I think people need to remember that playing 8 is a different skill set, which takes some learning. Playing at the back of the scrum can be tough.

TPN can handle it. He's fucking dynamite with ball in hand.

C

CanadianRugby

Spook said:
CanadianRugby said:

Agree that he is amazing with ball in hand. Still not the same at the back of the scrum.

S

Spook

CanadianRugby said:
Spook said:
CanadianRugby said:

Agree that he is amazing with ball in hand. Still not the same at the back of the scrum.

I agree with in you principle but we desperately need big ball carriers in the Aussie pack with Palu gone. TPN is one of those. He hurts people as well and wears down the opposition. His only weakness at hooker is his throwing but he won't need to throw at 8. I'm not sure who would come onto the bench at hooker. S Fainga'a or H Edmonds?

Status
Not open for further replies.