• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Official Shield Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You may be right, Slim, but I'm more impressed the law variations haven't been ditched after one year. Let's see how they go after teams have worked out how to play under them.

T

TOCC

I like the points variation, I see 2015 as been a better gauge of their impact though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So it's officially the Horan-Little Shield and the Rising will be putting it up for grabs in their first match this weekend away to Qld Country.

I assume that means the shield has been made? Any of you guys seen it or know when we'll get to see what it looks like?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Glad it's all official and launched now! So good!

Can I ask if there is a story behind the name? Is it simply a gesture to two greats of the game? Do those guys have particular ties to grass roots Rugby etc?

I like the name just FYI, just wondering about how they came up with it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Time to change the thread title?

Not sure that I like the shield having to be played for at an away venue after only 2 successful defences at your fortress.

I'm sure that there is a reason for it, and it will certainly get a good profile for the H-L Shield in the short term.

I see that Gaggerland got a mention in the ARU presser. http://www.rugby.com.au/nrc/Article...7/2015-Buildcorp-NRC-set-to-be-unleashed.aspx

Well done to all involved.

The little people can make a difference.

Will the little people north of the Tweed be able to make a difference with their little issue? But that is for another thread.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Glad it's all official and launched now! So good!

Can I ask if there is a story behind the name? Is it simply a gesture to two greats of the game? Do those guys have particular ties to grass roots Rugby etc?

I like the name just FYI, just wondering about how they came up with it.

basically the fact they are two best mates who played together (from country QLD) all their lives all the way up to two RWCs.

It's meant to symbolise mateship and success.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think it's a decent gesture from the Rising to make this first game a defence, but I hope it doesn't set a precedent where every team puts it on the line for all games they play.

Well, it kind of makes anyone else look like a dick now if they don't put it up :)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, it's a good gesture, but it would've been nice to have the first Shield game to be against City with the Premier vs Minor Premier.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What would be awesome is getting a supporter group to at least one of those Baabaas v Heartland matches. Wanganui is a nice spot - was there back in January and stayed at a really top motel. Local beaches are pretty nice too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are a couple of active G&GR posters from Levin - @Waiopehu Old Boy, and I think @Dan 54. They could be keen.

No wine in Wanganui,:mad: but there are some great craft brewers in Kapiti-Horowhenua and Wairapa is home to Brian Lochore and Pinot Noir country. They are both close to the Levin game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
In terms of when's the first opportunity for teams to have a crack, there's too many permutations to figure them all out.

However, from what I can tell, Brisbane City will have first crack at the Shield regardless of who wins, either Round 2 against the Rising, or at Country's next home game in Round 3, assuming they wouldn't accept the Stars challenge.

If the Rising win the first 2 games, all their remaining fixtures will be challenges, and if they continued to win, that would be the first date available to get the hands on the shield.

As far as I can tell, the quickest possible way for the Rams to get their hands on the Shield, (to answer your question Pfitzy) would be for Queensland Country to win it off Rising in round 1, accept and win Challenges in round 2 and 3 against the Stars and Brisbane City, then play the Rams for it in round 4.

The next best option would be for the Rising to win all their challenges, and you play off against them in round 5, which is a home rising fixtures and wouldn't rely on accepting away challanges.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So by Round 5 is what you're saying.

Fine. Its halfway through the season, but that is the price for having your name on it at the end of the year.

Oh, and the premiership, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.