• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I figure we'll have a few things to say about this over the next 16 days. Sport, politics, nationalism, drugs in sport, whatever.

I'll start by saying that I thought the Opening Ceremony was tops.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Indeed it was, no doubt the fella who lit the Olympic Torch has no fear about heights!

T

Turban

Ceremony was great, the Aussie uniform however was one hell of an abortion. Next time we should just wear plain suits with gold ties or something.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Aussies in a godawful outfit at the Olympics? Who'd have thought it? Still, we should get the money back from the useless tit that came up with it. Just horrible.

T

Turban

cyclopath said:
Aussies in a godawful outfit at the Olympics? Who'd have thought it? Still, we should get the money back from the useless tit that came up with it. Just horrible.

I know I shouldn't be surprised but it was just THAT bad. Why do we feel the need to design some crazy bright uniform to show how "Aussie" we are? Can't we just wear something that quietly dignified.

F

formeropenside

*Shrug*

I find it amusing that people were finding the opening ceremony impressive. Its a totalitarian dictatorship, and if nothing else such countries can generally pull off mass displays of choreography quite well: see Triumph of the Will, for instance, and Olympia, by the same director, about the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Plus they just jammed a shitload of money into it because they can.

Heard today that the IOC told that Greek sprinter chick (who got booted from Athens 2004 for failing to show up for a drug test) to yet again bugger off, with no testing yet done, and no intervention from any IOC disciplinary body. The IOC spokeswoman got up there and was relaying the info that the IOC honchos wanted to send a stern message about morality and cleanliness...

These are the same guys who took all the rent-a-crack-whore and free 5 star hotel action they could to give a murderous dictatorship the games :nta:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well, they've got to start somewhere. Why not with a Greek sprinter? Don't all things Olympic start in/with Greece?

As an Aussie sports tragic it's hard to believe the stadia aren't full for every event. The number of empty seats shown on television is staggering. For swimming and gymnastics! Incredible. Are the tickets too expensive for the average Chinese? Or are the officials so restricting in their behaviour the locals don't want/can't go?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah, that one wants figuring out. It's either the Chinese lying about 100% ticket sales or it's the Euro/American corporations for buying tickets then not using them.

T

Turban

formeropenside said:
*Shrug*

I find it amusing that people were finding the opening ceremony impressive. Its a totalitarian dictatorship, and if nothing else such countries can generally pull off mass displays of choreography quite well: see Triumph of the Will, for instance, and Olympia, by the same director, about the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.
So we shouldn't find it impressive? Your logics a bit flawed there. I'd say pulling off mass displays of choreography are always impressive.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes Turbs - when the alternative is getting shot I reckon I'd try my best though :)

Lindommer said:
Well, they've got to start somewhere. Why not with a Greek sprinter? Don't all things Olympic start in/with Greece?

As an Aussie sports tragic it's hard to believe the stadia aren't full for every event. The number of empty seats shown on television is staggering. For swimming and gymnastics! Incredible. Are the too expensive for the average Chinese? Or are the officials so restricting in their behaviour the locals don't want/can't go?

Locals have found it hard to get hold of tickets even if they can afford them apparently. I read that somewhere...

R

Rugby Rat

The Aussie women's Hockey team is hot. So are the Germans, dutch, USA and English.

In fact me thinks I might have a hidden women's hockey fetish.

Bad ratt very bad bad rat...

J

Jury

formeropenside said:
*Shrug*

I'm with you, mate. I love the Olympics but it has taken me awhile to watch them because of who is hosting them.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Rugby Rat said:
The Aussie women's Hockey team is hot. So are the Germans, dutch, USA and English.

In fact me thinks I might have a hidden women's hockey fetish.

Bad ratt very bad bad rat...

I'm agreeing with Rat. I must be on the slippery slope.

Short shorts. Long socks.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
well, being a former try-hard sprinter back in my final school days, I was mightily impressed with Bolt in the 100m. Absolutely caned a top-class field, and had the time to slow down, dance around, and watch himself on the big screen, all before he'd even crossed the line. I bet Bolt's (or as my brother called him, Piss, as in 'Piss-bolt' :)) competitors are shuddering to think what he's going to do in the 200m. Unbelievable freak human specimen. :eek:

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And apparently only started running the 100m to improve his 200m speed. He is only 21 - could he be the first to go under 9.5s?

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Scotty said:
And apparently only started running the 100m to improve his 200m speed. He is only 21 - could he be the first to go under 9.5s?

very big call there Scotty. But it might just be possible for Bolt at some stage.

However he has said he doesn't give a shit about world records, which, given the ego of most sprinters, is very hard to believe. ;)

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
So, are they actually showing that on Channel 7, or just replays of the swimming?

Fuck I'm glad I'm not at home to watch the joke that pretends to be decent Olympic coverage.
And as far as Mel and Kochie in China, and the Yum Cha program? Napalm the lot of them.
Vacuous wastes of space. The entire network is a lowest common denominator abortion.

On topic, the loss by the Hockeyroos is very disappointing. They looked on track for a medal, and are now with the also rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.