• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
:lmao: Nice one virg! But seriously, your lot must be disappointed they didn't do a bit better at the rowing.

Its funny though - I was on stuff.co.nz the other day and noted an article saying "Phelps wins more gold as Aussies struggle" because we got a couple of silvers. Down the bottom of the page it had the NZ medal tally: 0 0 0

Looks like we'll be beaten by the Poms, but that was always going to happen when they decided to sink half a bill into actually training their athletes - good on them! About time they realised public entertainment is important. We put too much into swimming and not enough into everything else. People reckon swimming is a ripoff event because there are so many medals, and that's true - Phelps is a country in his own right. But it happens elsewhere - gymnastics and cycling are both multi-event and so is track and field when it comes right down to it.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
NTA said:
:lmao: Nice one virg! But seriously, your lot must be disappointed they didn't do a bit better at the rowing.

Mate it would have been Gold to Mahe Drysdale if he wasnt suffering from Beijing Belly!
Cant be too upset with a Gold and 2 Bronzes though, another medal or 2 might have been perfect.
Still 8 medals so far, our best since 1992. Still might grab another couple yet.
Great run in the 1500m from Willis lastnight to get his bronze.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Always the food poisoning with your lot innit? :) I though you all spent most of your lives overseas toughening up! ;)

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Wish fuckwits would stop making stupid comments regarding England and focus on how we're going.

We come across as a bunch of soft cock, sour grape, cry babies.

Also sick of hearing about a "disappointing" medal tally. Fucken hell, 12 Gold is disappointing?

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
NTA said:
Always the food poisoning with your lot innit? :) I though you all spent most of your lives overseas toughening up! ;)

lol
Mate i dont think its just us this time.
Have heard alot of reports of athletes from other countries having the same problem.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think my favourite athlete at the games has to be the Aussie softballer ...

... Natalie Titcume

;)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Also sick of hearing about a "disappointing" medal tally. Fucken hell, 12 Gold is disappointing?

To an extent, yes it has been a bit disappointing.

In the swimming Australians held 6 world records (50m free men and women, 100m free men and women, 1500m free men, 200m breast women) in events they failed to get gold in. This was only offset by one event (4x200m womens) that we got gold where we weren't expected. So you could argue that on balance we were up to 5 gold down in the pool (albeit probably having a few bronze and silvers that we didn't previously expect from some of the men).

While it was expected that the GB cycling team was expected to dominate us, it is hard to take a grand haul of 1 silver medal when we had 5 gold last olympics. Add to this some below par performances in sports such as shooting and womens hockey, then yes, I'd say we have a right to be disappointed (as I'm sure many of those athletes are).

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
You guys think you have problems. India with a population of 1.1 billion with just the 2 medals!

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Virgil said:
You guys think you have problems. India with a population of 1.1 billion with just the 2 medals!

Imagine if they held a telemarketers olympics, the Indians would school the rest of the world. :D

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Go pole vaulting lad. I'd only ever heard of him via TV ads for cars but he can get nearly 6m off the ground. Impressive - this is a sport that should be encouraged, while shite like equestrian, "walking" and rhythmic gymnastics should be given the arse.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Mate, when I run the Olympics the red pen will be run through most of these sports.

Football
Tennis
Anything synchronised
Walking
Judo
Taekwondo
Ping pong
Beach volleyball
Baseball / softball / basketball
Canoe / Kayak
BMX

And somewhat controversially, my Olympics will just have "Swimming". There will be the Swimming 100, the Swimming 400 and the Swimming 1500. Throw in the 4 x 100m Swimming for men and women, that makes 8 events in total.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Qingdhao, by all accounts I've seen, lived down to expectations on the water.

But, dear God, how good is Ben Ainslie? Would anyone, anyone at all, bet against him pulling the Finn out on last time on home waters in Weymouth that he knows like the back of his hand and matching Paul Elvstrom's four golds? Hell, if he'd been smart enough at nineteen to stay the hell away from Robert Schiedt in the last race in Atlanta, he'd have that now.

Sailing is definitely now for the Brits as swimming is for Australia.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
Qingdhao, by all accounts I've seen, lived down to expectations on the water.

But, dear God, how good is Ben Ainslie? Would anyone, anyone at all, bet against him pulling the Finn out on last time on home waters in Weymouth that he knows like the back of his hand and matching Paul Elvstrom's four golds? Hell, if he'd been smart enough at nineteen to stay the hell away from Robert Schiedt in the last race in Atlanta, he'd have that now.

Almost, Thomo, except Aus won 20 medals in swimming vs 6 for GB in sailing. The 4 golds in those 6 is very impressive indeed. We had lots of silver and bronze in the pool. Aus got 2 sailing golds - not bad. What I saw of the sailing (very little, like everyone here) showed a less than ideal venue. The final race in the ?? 49s was brutal - never seen so many boats over! Apart from that it seemed to be pretty flukey winds most of the time. Will Ainslie go for 4 - hell, at home you'd HAVE to!

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Scarfman said:
How good was our diver?

must have missed that, cracking pole vault final the other night.
Only thought the east Europeans were any good at that sport.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Matthew Mitcham was the diver. For his last dive he needed something ridiculous like 108 to overtake the Chinese guy leading the comp. Young lad (20) has come out and cracked out 112! You could tell as soon as he got fully immersed that he'd just won a gold medal - perfect form and almost no splash. He out-Chinesed the Chinese!

F

formeropenside

cyclopath said:
Thomond78 said:

Almost, Thomo, except Aus won 20 medals in swimming vs 6 for GB in sailing.

Well, the Jamaican sprint team only got 4 gold medals, so I guess our swimmers were even more dominant...

I dont know anything about sailing, but its probably more about proportion of medals in the sport rather than overall number.

Oh, and Thomo, congratulations.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
formeropenside said:
Well, the Jamaican sprint team only got 4 gold medals, so I guess our swimmers were even more dominant...

I don't have the figures in front of me here Former, but I'd expect the amount of medals on offer in swimming would greatly outweigh the number of medals on offer in track sprinting events.

Status
Not open for further replies.