• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

Red Bull said:
formeropenside said:
Well, the Jamaican sprint team only got 4 gold medals, so I guess our swimmers were even more dominant...

I don't have the figures in front of me here Former, but I'd expect the amount of medals on offer in swimming would greatly outweigh the number of medals on offer in track sprinting events.

RB, if you go on to the next sentence, I proceed to (somewhat inaptly) make that very point.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
so you do Former, I failed dismally in making the connection there, which is becoming increasingly common......my sincerest apologies. :-[ Nothing like a decent piece of selective quoting from me. ::)

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
formeropenside said:
cyclopath said:
Thomond78 said:

Sailing is definitely now for the Brits as swimming is for Australia.
Almost, Thomo, except Aus won 20 medals in swimming vs 6 for GB in sailing.

Well, the Jamaican sprint team only got 4 gold medals, so I guess our swimmers were even more dominant...

I dont know anything about sailing, but its probably more about proportion of medals in the sport rather than overall number.

Oh, and Thomo, congratulations.

It's the proportion. Almost two-thirds of the Brit sailors won medals in crap conditions. In steady breeze in Weymouth... :eek:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
formeropenside said:
cyclopath said:
Thomond78 said:

Sailing is definitely now for the Brits as swimming is for Australia.
Almost, Thomo, except Aus won 20 medals in swimming vs 6 for GB in sailing.

I dont know anything about sailing, but its probably more about proportion of medals in the sport rather than overall number.

Oh, and Thomo, congratulations.

It's the proportion. Almost two-thirds of the Brit sailors won medals in crap conditions. In steady breeze in Weymouth... :eek:
I realise that, Thomo. I was pointing out that we won half our medals in the pool, so swimming was "more" to us than sailing to them. The GB achievement was impressive, as I stated. Proportionally they were even more devastating on the velodrome where they won nearly half of all the medals available! :eek:
Oh yeah, and congratulations too!

F

formeropenside

Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves!

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
formeropenside said:

Well, they need the dinghy sailing.

The Frogs rule the blue-water sailing and have a much bigger and better navy these days. ;)

F

formeropenside

Thomond78 said:
formeropenside said:

Well, they need the dinghy sailing.

The Frogs rule the blue-water sailing and have a much bigger and better navy these days. ;)

Really? I thought it was about par with the RN, actually. And as for better...lets just say the last significant French naval victory was against an NGO armed with patchouli oil and tie dyed t-shirts.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
If they hadn't voluntarily given the RN the keys for stopping their Exocet missiles fired from their Mirage planes, the Falklands result would have been very different. As for the size of the navies, if the RN has anything the size of the Charles de Gaulle, it's news to me. ;)

R

Rugby Rat

don't know that much about sailing but

IMO The Britgirls are real goers.. Russians even more so.

Woo Hooo...

Status
Not open for further replies.