• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why not? Figuring it'd go into full melt down?

I'd be surprised if he did come in even as a consultant. as he's said on multiple occasions he isn't interested. But, you never know, someone might just have the golden tongue that will talk him around

I'm having a laugh. There's a long running troll here who will probably need to be banned if Nucifora ever comes back into the RA fold.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I dunno, there is a time and place for Chieka.

Many players have praised his ability to bring the squad together. There's probably a role Michael can play in the Wallabies set up, just keep him out of the room when it comes to game plan and styles.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NRL coaching staff seem pretty set for now, so if he's looking for a head coach role somewhere I imagine it would be within rugby. That can all change quite quickly though.

I seem to recall he was supposedly talking to Dragons and/ or Sharks but in a Phil Gould-type role. Was around the time he coached the Lebanese Loig team so possibly just talk as tends to happen with Loig.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Cheika has been at this for some time now. I might not ever forget the barn yard dance, but surely the guy has learned and has developed.

I wouldn't think our options are high.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cheika has been at this for some time now. I might not ever forget the barn yard dance, but surely the guy has learned and has developed.

I wouldn't think our options are high.
It's interesting that newspaper articles this week have spoken how highly-prized is the job of Aus Rugby HC.
Roll it back a few years and I would agree.
But witnessing how poorly the Wallabies have played under a few coaches now, surely some of the likely candidates might be thinking it aint just the coaching.
Sure, someone could make a career if they perform successful CPR on the fibrillating patient and, say, beat the Lions, but they might just as likely think of applying the paddles to themselves.
We may not get the opportunity to be too choosy. I don't think Cheika is the answer, though.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
As much as I’m bemoaning the lack of any real movement on the coaching front as yet, I have to admit I feel like the current RA setup wouldn’t rush Cheika or anyone else who’s been involved with the Wobs over the last couple of years.

It feels like such a lateral movement and they know the fan base want to see positive action, not just more of the same.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
It's interesting that newspaper articles this week have spoken how highly-prized is the job of Aus Rugby HC.
Roll it back a few years and I would agree.
But witnessing how poorly the Wallabies have played under a few coaches now, surely some of the likely candidates might be thinking it aint just the coaching.
Isn't it a coach's job to transform a poor playing side into a better playing side i.e. teaching/training the poor side to be better?? If a coach is going to look at a team and deem it un-coachable, they probably shouldn't be a coach.

Aside from that, it's an objectively attractive job. Lions tour + Home World Cup + the almost non-existent possibility that they do worse than the previous coach makes it pretty attractive.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Isn't it a coach's job to transform a poor playing side into a better playing side i.e. teaching/training the poor side to be better?? If a coach is going to look at a team and deem it un-coachable, they probably shouldn't be a coach.

Aside from that, it's an objectively attractive job. Lions tour + Home World Cup + the almost non-existent possibility that they do worse than the previous coach makes it pretty attractive.
I wish I shared your optimism...

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wish I shared your optimism...
After at least 10 years I feel somewhat optimistic about the future. Horne and Nucifira make a potentially great team, Schmidt, if he gets the job and fixes some of our basic issues ie the breakdown, then, if he gets our win rate up to 50% he will have done his job. Larkham, McKellar or the best coach available at the time, can take us forward.
Anywhere in the top 5 is a success to me ATM.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
After at least 10 years I feel somewhat optimistic about the future. Horne and Nucifira make a potentially great team, Schmidt, if he gets the job and fixes some of our basic issues ie the breakdown, then, if he gets our win rate up to 50% he will have done his job. Larkham, McKellar or the best coach available at the time, can take us forward.
Anywhere in the top 5 is a success to me ATM.

You need top 5 to see it as a success? Geez, I hope you are right.

Edit/addition:
We sit at rank 9 on 77.48 points.
5th is England on 85.56 - what is that, an 8 point differential to jump? That would put England to 2nd for what it is worth, or put Tonga (rank 16) ahead of us. Given we are still locked in to Bledisloe and face SA each year (at best no loss of points overall, at best) that will require an unbelievable performance against Argentina (3 points ahead at 7) and whoever we meet from Europe.

We may need to adapt to how far we have actually fallen.

Last edited:

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think you need to look at it this way.
if you want to coach international rugby what are your options?
Razor has ABs locked up for four years
Farrell not leaving Ireland (Schmidt already done that)
England just hired borrhwick so lower odds you get a shot there
France isn’t hiring someone not French and don’t have a need
SA not hiring a non South African and don’t have a need anyways
You’re basically left with Wales (Gatland locked in till 2027 I think?)
And Scotland.
I’d think living in Sydney is more attractive than Edinburg and I’d say aus rugby has more upside than Scotland
If you want to coach at international and compete then aus is the best job on offer in near term

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nick Bishop …. Best rugby analyst around.

He is. But he is not without attitude. His final summary paragraph starting with :-
"If there is any time Australian rugby needs to respond to that touch on the arm, rise and walk with New Zealand, it is now."

A summary of needing to be serious about Kiwi coaching options would have been logical, but this is not what it says and not what he is implying.

To lock in to New Zealand, and this is well-trodden, requires two parties to tango. On the whole New Zealand is quick to suggest that a strong Australia is good for a strong NewZealand - but also on the whole followed immediately with how Australia needs to adapt to suit New Zealand. And a presumption from Kiwis that these two things are one-and-the-same. Which of course they are not. I'd go further in suggesting that things that NewZealand should like to prioritise are necessarily different to what Australia requires.

I'm comfortable with the idea of conceding to a Kiwi HC, and you can't get a more strongly proven candidate than Schmidt. Even if I suspect the rugby that follows would be dull as dishwater. Right now (and for some time to come) that doesn't matter.

In terms of walking with NZ? Well that entirely depends on whether they are walking where we need to go. Options for separation need to always be on the consideration list from now on. Always.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That he is - pretty bizarre article though. Written under the influence of a bit of festive spirit perhaps

Why use 500 words when so many more will do? Chuck in a bit of analysis flex and you're set!

That's why I rarely click on anything to do with RP