• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
I wouldn't mind Cheika in a roll like that. I think I'd rather Cheika than White.
Cheika's resistance to a central High Performance role should rule him out as the last thing we need is more arrogance and infighting (can you imagine him and Mclennan getting along!). White would destroy rugby with his boring as shite style of play.
If Mackellar doesn't come back then The Lord Fisher has to be involved and probably Palmer. Get a Kiwi attack/counter attack coach and the someone to oversee that. If Eddie gets the Japan job Tony Brown would become available and could either be attack coach or head coach.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
McLennan's predilection for making big calls leaves me concerned. Can't you just see him in a press conference standing next to Michael Cheika with a shit eating grin telling us 'we got him' like he did with Eddie.

I'm not sure he's got it in him to make an unsexy pick and roll with a McKeller.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
This thread is just starting to get interesting as the reality of who is available, who might want the job and what we need, becomes more obvious.
There is no Australian coach apart from Gilmore who could take over in my book. Assistants are critical and if we could get an excellent D Coach (not Grey) plus some excellent S&C guys we might be able to form a foundation. Attack coach could be Larkham but hardly my speciality.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
This thread is just starting to get interesting as the reality of who is available, who might want the job and what we need, becomes more obvious.
There is no Australian coach apart from Gilmore who could take over in my book. Assistants are critical and if we could get an excellent D Coach (not Grey) plus some excellent S&C guys we might be able to form a foundation. Attack coach could be Larkham but hardly my speciality.

Don’t k ow about that……
If we don’t get Mckellar and stellar assistants then I think we are in trouble as Rassie is also out now tho was always low odds

Increasingly it is larkham, Mckellar, Cheika and foster.

Ogara and Lancaster chances.
Jake white would kill rugby in aus, I am sorry

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
So basically the brief should be "any available coaches make their way to the carpark on the Cnr Moore Park Road and Driver Avenue" - that should save in search fees.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
This confuses me a bit. Should all QLD admin take over RA then?

Cheikas career record is by FAR a better one than Kiss who’s a journeyman coach and probably a safe set of hands.

Sounded like Kiss got it because Chiek was focused on Argentina and (arrogantly wouldn’t interview but wanted it)

I don’t want him. I can just see he may be effective with what’s available/want the job.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wouldn't mind Cheika in a roll like that. I think I'd rather Cheika than White.
I would rather White than Cheika. Doesn't mean one is better than the other - just our preferences.

I will say, however, that White has shown he can coach a World Cup win ning team, and while at the Brumbies he was able to set a game plan that best suited the players he had, rather than relying on emotion and passion as Cheika seems to do.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
People seem to think that the Brumbies only attacking weapon was the maul when White was their coach. He coached them to have a strong set piece, including the maul, but they had some of the best back-line play you would ever want to see as well. They scored some absolutely sparkling tries under White.

It was after he left and Larkham was the coach that the maul became their main method of scoring.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
People seem to think that the Brumbies only attacking weapon was the maul when White was their coach. He coached them to have a strong set piece, including the maul, but they had some of the best back-line play you would ever want to see as well. They scored some absolutely sparkling tries under White.

It was after he left and Larkham was the coach that the maul became their main method of scoring.
Don't spoil the narrative Happy.

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
My background is league, so please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I do find it unusual to use coaches with a league background for defence (e.g. Brett Hodgson). Defensive structures and techniques seem different between the sports or am I well off the mark?

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
My background is league, so please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I do find it unusual to use coaches with a league background for defence (e.g. Brett Hodgson). Defensive structures and techniques seem different between the sports or am I well off the mark?
I should note that Hodgson coached Hull F.C. in the English Super League prior to his role(s) with Eddie, and that team was in the bottom 3 for points conceded and last for missed tackles in his final season as coach. The appointment didn't make sense to me but I'm always open to learning more.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
f Mackellar doesn't come back then The Lord Fisher has to be involved and probably Palmer

What makes anyone confident that in the 10-12 months since Dan and Laurie were apart of the coaching staff that they're going to bring anything different to what we saw last year?

The whole Rennie and Dan era was plagued with among other things (like injuries), being the most penalised team and an inability to put in two consecutive weeks of consistent performances.

We lost ball in the breakdown through inaccuracies in clean out and support, things I'm told Laurie is the king of fixing.

We're now left with an extremely young and inexperienced team, I really don't see how Dan, Laurie and even Larkham are the solutions for this team. Maybe after the next RWC cycle but definitely not now.