• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The test was a sold out a week ago.

I dont expect any changes in the Bok team. Hope full Rassie work on his back three work in the air. The Wallabies game plan nearly work on saturday. Willie is very important for us. He have a lot of flair which can go either way. I am not that worried about 1st phase. Faf kicking is so irritating, he need to leave this to Pollard. We cant give the All Blacks possession, they will hurt us. We need to test their defense.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How was BB's tackle on El Complaino? What a hit but somehow that is now 'illegal', lol. Thought the refs were pretty much spot on most of this game though.

When the Laws get tweaked post-RWC it'll be a penalty for being too upright in the tackle.......

It'll be interesting to see how AB approach this week: we only get one more crack at them pre-RWC & by that stage everyone will presumably be "keeping their powder dry" so this week they may need to go all-in as I doubt they'll want to be going to Japan having potentially lost three in a row to SA then playing them again first up.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Francois Louw back in SA, gotta say I'm surprised he didn't play in PE but maybe they thought he needed some extra time to recover from flying London-Brisbane-London a coupla weeks ago? If so there's some thinking there that's not immediately obvious to some of the other RC coaching staffs.......

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Gotta say I starting to get really built up for this test!! I can feel the tension beginning to build already!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Francois Louw back in SA, gotta say I'm surprised he didn't play in PE but maybe they thought he needed some extra time to recover from flying London-Brisbane-London a coupla weeks ago? If so there's some thinking there that's not immediately obvious to some of the other RC coaching staffs...

He had club duties.

Myself prefer van Staden from the Bulls in the 6 jersey.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ WR (World Rugby) Reg 9 trumps Club commitments so I'm thinking the bokke chose not to pick him for Wobs match so he didn't rack up the extra travel.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Very happy to see that midfield selected and Mo'unga on the bench.

All Blacks team to meet South Africa: Ben Smith, Waisake Naholo, Jack Goodhue, Sonny Bill Williams, Rieko Ioane, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (c), Sam Cane, Shannon Frizell, Scott Barrett, Sam Whitelock, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Karl Tu'inukuafe. Reserves: Nathan Harris, Tim Perry, Ofa Tuungafasi, Patrick Tuipulotu, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Richie Mo'unga, Ryan Crotty.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ still not a fan of having two non-kicking wingers as IMO the two fullback system we've been using with great success these past ten or so years forces the opposition to think very carefully when & to where they kick. Sure Beaugan can drop back into the short-side wing position but I'd rather have him still up in the line to exploit any turnover that might occur. With Naholo & Ioane out there Pollard will kick long, they'll chase hard & try to isolate the targeted winger or pressure them into a low-percentage play, as they did in Wellywood.

Other than that it's a good side, I think Goodhue outside SBW could be very tasty.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah the dual strike wingers against the Bokke is significantly riskier than against the Pumas. Hopefully the likes of South Africa, England and Ireland can attack the back three 2009 style and force selections closer to the optimal backline of Mo'unga at first five, B.Smith on the right wing and B.Barrett and fullback. Schmidt might be too smart to do it pre-RWC, but Erasmus and, in particular, Steady Eddie may need the short term wins to go for it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^^^^^ still not a fan of having two non-kicking wingers as IMO the two fullback system we've been using with great success these past ten or so years forces the opposition to think very carefully when & to where they kick. Sure Beaugan can drop back into the short-side wing position but I'd rather have him still up in the line to exploit any turnover that might occur. With Naholo & Ioane out there Pollard will kick long, they'll chase hard & try to isolate the targeted winger or pressure them into a low-percentage play, as they did in Wellywood.

Other than that it's a good side, I think Goodhue outside SBW could be very tasty.
Perhaps such a system is only necessary when you employ wingers that can be tackled. You seen that fluffybunny run with the ball?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
zer0 think we got away with it v Pumas mostly 'cos Sanchez who's normally almost up there with Pollard & Sexton long kicking game-wise turned in a shift Bernard Foley probably wouldn't have been happy with.

The problem with using Beaugan to cover the short side v Pollard, at altitude, is that he's got the range to see Beaugan drop back & target the open side instead.

^^^^^^^ Derpus I also seen both get bundled into touch & pressured into errors pretty much every time we've tried it against anyone with a 5/8 who can kick & an 11-14 line who can chase hard & make a first-up tackle if not compete in the air. As above we got away with it in BA, it's a risk & IMO an unnecessary one to hope we get away with it again at Loftus.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I will upset Derpus ;) again by saying I like the look of this team! I know what WOB is worried about, but like the Goodhue ahead of Crotty so they can gauge the combination, I understand the need to look at these things against a good team. If I was picking I would still probably go for DMac ahead of RM at this stage, mainly could I have a slight nervousness about RM's tackling ability.
I have to say bring on the test and anyone who claims to be a rugby follower in NZ or SA that are not excited and looking forward to this are not real rugby people!!
I still think the 2013 test was the best I have seen since the turn of the century!!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
CC rugby in SA take a break for this test. All roads in SA leads to Loftus.
South Africa (probable)
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Francois Louw, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The All Blacks wont underestimate the Bokke again and will perform their special HaKa (cut throat) that wil frighten the Bokke. Our beloved Springbokkie wont keep up with All Blacks speedy and awesomeness.

All Blacks by 53.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The All Blacks wont underestimate the Bokke again and will perform their special HaKa (cut throat) that wil frighten the Bokke. Our beloved Springbokkie wont keep up with All Blacks speedy and awesomeness.

All Blacks by 53.

C'mon PB, I not sure if you trying to awaken the Mocker Gods, but I not sure they will fall for that!!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Springbok team to face the All Blacks in Pretoria (in order of position, name and surname, club or provincial team, number of caps and Test points):

15. Willie le Roux (Wasps, England), 49, 60 - 12t
14. Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse, France), 3, 5 - 1t
13. Jesse Kriel (Vodacom Bulls), 35, 45 - 9t
12. Damian de Allende (DHL Stormers), 32, 15 - 3t
11. Aphiwe Dyantyi (Emirates Lions), 8, 30 - 6t
10. Handré Pollard (Vodacom Bulls), 34, 278 - 3t, 52c, 50p, 3d
9. Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, England), 19, 15 - 3t
8. Francois Louw (Bath, England), 61, 45 - 9t
7. Pieter-Steph du Toit (DHL Stormers), 41, 20 - 4t
6. Siya Kolisi (captain, DHL Stormers), 36, 25 - 5t
5. Franco Mostert (Emirates Lions), 25, 5 - 1t
4. Eben Etzebeth (DHL Stormers), 72, 15 - 3t
3. Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers), 24, 0
2. Malcolm Marx (Emirates Lions), 19, 20, - 4t
1. Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers), 32, 5 - 1t

Replacements:
16. Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers), 21, 10 - 2t
17. Tendai Mtawarira (DHL Stormers), 106, 10 - 2t
18. Vincent Koch (Saracens, England), 9, 0
19. RG Snyman (Vodacom Bulls), 7, 0
20. Sikhumbuzo Notshe (DHL Stormers), 5, 0
21. Embrose Papier (Vodacom Bulls), 3, 0
22. Elton Jantjies (Emirates Lions), 28, 223 - 2t, 42c, 43p
23. Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers), 2, 0

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm surprised they didn't leave Kriel on the wing, thought he did an xcellent job of containing/ pressuring Ioane in Wellington.

Status
Not open for further replies.