• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The success of League players in Rugby Union

Did/do you wish for Rugby League converts to Union, to fail in our code?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So Dave Taylor might be looking at a code swap

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/que...p-to-play-centre/story-e6frf3ou-1226980791162

Surely having a laugh playing centre, too big. Could be a decent backrower however, Reds should certainly take a look could be the kind of #8 they need.

He's got good speed and a decent step for a guy his size. Plus a great offload. I reckon he could be a pretty damaging 12 and the switch would be easier than trying to convert to the back row.

With the new powers the NRL have granted their CEO (being able to add top ups to recruit or retain big name players) I think we'll see even more stories about NRL players potentially moving to rugby. 98% of them won't be genuine.

T

TOCC

Dave Taylor a centre?
The guy is kidding himself, unless he drops 15kg then his only place in rugby union would be the forward pack.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
He'd be a different kind of centre to what we're used to, and would need to change his body shape, but I wouldn't completely laugh the idea off.

If he really wants to play centre he'd be better off going to France though where they love that type of player.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The only positions I could see him playing would be centre, or a wide ranging 6/8.

He's very quick and agile for a man his size, even more so than Sam Burgess. He also has a nice offload. He's like a stockier version of sonny bill. I'm not so sure he's a test backrower. If he played in the Backrow you'd get something like Higgers - plays wide, often popping up in the backline, not getting through much ruck work but very effective with ball in hand. Given that Higgers is sitting on the sidelines for the wobs atm, you'd have to imagine he's not really what the wallabies are looking for.

Could be a decent choice for the reds though. They have a pack full of workhorses and lack powerful ball runners so he could fit in nicely with guys like Gill and Shatz around him.

T

TOCC

He'd be a different kind of centre to what we're used to

Yeah an overweight one with a shit work ethic

Dave Taylor is renowned for being lazy and somewhat immature, he previously discussed signing with rugby union because he believed he wouldn't need to watch his weight as much as he does in the NRL..

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Good news everybody!
at an annual wage of 12 million dollars, everyone in Australia need only chip in 50 cents each and we can get Adrian Peterson over to rugby! Smart investment people.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Good news everybody!
at an annual wage of 12 million dollars, everyone in Australia need only chip in 50 cents each and we can get Adrian Peterson over to rugby! Smart investment people.

The lack of helmet may be an issue -- he'd have to learn not to take collisions with his head. Can't imagine most of those hits resulting in anything good without skull armor on.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The lack of helmet may be an issue -- he'd have to learn not to take collisions with his head. Can't imagine most of those hits resulting in anything good without skull armor on.

Great balance and speed.

But he'd have to put up with guys who know how to tackle with their shoulders, not just throw themselves at his knees or flap their arms uselessly as they try to grab a shirt.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Continuing this slight deviation of talking about NFL rather than league, does anyone know of any former union players playing NFL in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.