• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The success of League players in Rugby Union

Did/do you wish for Rugby League converts to Union, to fail in our code?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Oh Todd Carney, Jesus Christ, for a great footballer his an absolute goose.. Maybe he can go to the Reds with JOC (James O'Connor) ;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No seriously, fuck that guy. Go look at his rap sheet on wikipedia and you'll see just how many times he's fucked up, and how many times the media whore that is the NRL has let him come crawling back.

He won the Dally M in pretty much the only year he hasn't been a complete fucking arseclown, with a list of driving offences and public disturbances - not to mention breaking team edicts and NRL ordered counselling - that would shrivel your balls.

Fuck him. Fuck him right in the face.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
No seriously, fuck that guy. Go look at his rap sheet on wikipedia and you'll see just how many times he's fucked up, and how many times the media whore that is the NRL has let him come crawling back.

He won the Dally M in pretty much the only year he hasn't been a complete fucking arseclown, with a list of driving offences and public disturbances - not to mention breaking team edicts and NRL ordered counselling - that would shrivel your balls.

Fuck him. Fuck him right in the face.
Yeah James O'Connor is an Angel compared.. Todd Carney got banned from his home town. Absolute ArseClown.. He can't go overseas they won't give him a visa well wouldn't last time.

Although Joey Johns though it was ok..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
JOC (James O'Connor) got the treatment that Carney SHOULD have gotten very early on. But there is always a club in the NRL willing to compromise whatever values they mouth emptily to their fans. Because it's all about titles, money, and-

Actually that's it

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah James O'Connor is an Angel compared.. Todd Carney got banned from his home town. Absolute ArseClown.. He can't go overseas they won't give him a visa well wouldn't last time.

Although Joey Johns though it was ok..

You mean Joey who freely admitted to using drugs from age 19 - irrespective of his performances, whether on performance enhancing or recreactional drugs should have been wiped from all records etc - what a terrible message to kids - BUT the Mungos made him a Hall of Famer, and Channel 9, a Commentator.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You mean Joey who freely admitted to using drugs from age 19 - irrespective of his performances, whether on performance enhancing or recreactional drugs should have been wiped from all records etc - what a terrible message to kids - BUT the Mungos made him a Hall of Famer, and Channel 9, a Commentator.

I also don't think that a sport can pretend a player didn't exist when they admit they took recreational drugs during their career.

Is it a better message to kids that if you get in trouble you'll be cast out forever and the sport will pretend you were never part of it to begin with?

There wasn't really a simple or correct course of action the NRL could have taken in my opinion, but it's ancient history now.

Should the ARU have pretended that Justin Harrison and Wendell Sailor never played the game?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To me it was that he used drugs SINCE 19 years of age - 10-12 years. People knew, the rumours were rife (even I had heard), - obviously Joey never underwent strict drug tests like players today. Wendell admitted to some cocaine abuse and I really don't know about Harrison.

Anyway, you are right about 1 thing - Its history now

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To me it was that he used drugs SINCE 19 years of age - 10-12 years. People knew, the rumours were rife (even I had heard), - obviously Joey never underwent strict drug tests like players today. Wendell admitted to some cocaine abuse and I really don't know about Harrison.

Anyway, you are right about 1 thing - Its history now

None of the professional football codes do anything more than random infrequent drug testing. It might be a bit more frequent now but it is a long way from catching any and all drug use.

I think recreational drug use is rife in sport just like it is elsewhere in society. A lot of young people with disposable income use recreational drugs.

I think sports are very keen on controlling performance enhancing drug use but there isn't a huge drive to expose how prevalent recreational drug use is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is some of the shit Essenden's going through, recreational or performance enhancing only or both ???

The whole peptide thing is performance enhancing.

Also, none of that issue was ever uncovered by drug testing.

Generally people that are getting caught are through whistleblowing or people getting caught importing the drugs.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't mean to stray off topic here, but in my view there is a big difference between using performance enhancing drugs and recreational drugs.

Using performance enhancing drugs is cheating, plain and simple. It's the worst thing anyone can do in competitive sports.

Using recreational drugs is disappointing yes, but is more about character flaws. It's widely accepted that a large portion of society at some stage in their lives decide to use recreational drugs. It's the same as people who self medicate with prescription medication (you'd be surprised how many ex-sports players struggle with addiction to pain killers and the like). We have a legal system that recognises that good people are often tempted by drugs for a variety of reasons. It's a system that believes in second chances and changing your life for the better. I don't believe that striking Johns from the record (because he had a drug problem) is a good message for kids. If you're going to do that you should probably strike Nathan Hindmarsh from the list for pissing away half of his family's fortune due to his gambling addiction.

A friend of mine who is a respected barrister was actually convicted of supplying recreational drugs some many years ago. The Supreme Court recognises that even the most damaged reputations can be repaired.

The sad thing is that Johns could have probably been even better than he was, had he not had that problem.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
To take it further: I believe in decriminalisation of pretty much everything; if you want to put it in your body, then go for your life (whatever is left of it).

But don't fucking hurt anyone else while you're on the gear, or you have no legal defence

Status
Not open for further replies.