• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The success of League players in Rugby Union

Did/do you wish for Rugby League converts to Union, to fail in our code?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It would be awesome if the Pacific Nations were stronger but they don't have the money or domestic markets to operate professional leagues or fund teams in Super Rugby etc.

They'll never have the money to fund professional leagues or teams in super rugby. And they shouldn't have to! Their players should be spread throughout our teams instead of European clubs.

As the competition expands we should allow (and encourage) their players to play in Super Rugby. Without decreasing the number of Australian players.

Then their test players would mostly be in our season and we could include them in the Rugby Championship - either individually or as a collective PI team. I think that would be great for the game. And it would help fight off rugby league in the islands, which is a big threat.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
They can take our lives, but you'll never take OUR FIJIANS!

jerryprofile.jpg

nikoprofile.jpg

leonehero.jpg

:p

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
All 100% Capped and playing for Fiji.

The Glasgwegians love them. Matawalu (2nd pic, halfback/fullback) started it in the 12/13 season, and the other 2, Leone Nakarawa (3rd pic, Lock/No. 8) and Jerry Yanuyanutawa (1st pic, Loosehead prop) only made the Fijian love go up this season.

More Players in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) sides from Glasgow than from the Whole Aussie Super conference too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm no encyclopaedia of rugby players, but Nathan Hughes for starters; "I have had chats with Fiji and Samoa over the phone but nothing face-to-face," said Hughes. "The World Cup is something to consider, but in two years I will qualify for England. It is a hard decision to make and I will not be rushing into anything; I am still young and developing as a player."

Who knows what Hughes will end up doing. He could try to play for England but as yet he is uncapped for anyone. I think it is a rare situation though. Most of the players who have been capped under the residency rule have been journeymen who end up playing for Japan or Italy.

I think a lot of the issue is perception rather than reality. People are pretty comfortable with PI heritage players representing NZ and Australia because it's been happening for a while but see the same in the UK and react differently because they aren't used to it. Faletau, Manu Tualagi and the Vunipolas all went to high school in the UK because that's where their families lived. If anything, it would be more surprising for those players to choose not to represent Wales and England respectively.

The Pacific Islands struggle to keep their populations at home because there isn't a lot of opportunity. It isn't just a sport thing. On the whole I think we'll see more PI, NZ, SA, and Australian heritage players playing for other countries in the future mostly because there are lots of people migrating for many reasons. Given that those countries produce lots of talented sportspeople, I expect we'll see more representation in countries you wouldn't historically expect.

T

Train Without a Station

Really the residency rule hurts probably us and NZ the most as that is where these journeymen who end up playing for other nations generally come from, or are poached from and developed under the residency rule (the Anscombe proposal).

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
More Players in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) sides from Glasgow than from the Whole Aussie Super conference too.

Maybe not a good thing as it is impacting on young Scots playing regular high level rugby, their national teams performances recently would certainly suggest this

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Saffas will be number 2 by 2016. Why?

(Just be cool, don't mention that Tyrone Holmes is South African, and definitely don't mention that Josh strauss will qualify on residency 2 days before the world cup of course)

The glorious Edinbokke!

T

Train Without a Station

I can't imagine any commercially viable system other than the current system offering a greater chance for the smaller Pacific Nations than the one now.

They can play in Super Rugby if they are uncapped and eligible.

If they are capped there is spots, how those spots are used is up to the team's discretion.

They can play out of Europe and represent their country, something Australians, New Zealanders and English cannot.

In playing out of Europe they can likely earn as much or more than they could playing in NZ and Aus.

It's extremely rare that players are made eligible for Australia and New Zealand on residency as a recruitment measure. The recent majority have in fact been South Africa anyway (Rathbone, Vickerman & Strauss?).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd like to add to this convo, did anyone see Grayson Heart start for Scotland on the weekend?

That gave me a laugh after his big speech about coming over to Aussie to make it big over here.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ummm... no...

Cusiter is number 1.
Laidlaw is number 2.
Pyrgos is number 3.
Grayson is an awful 4th, that Edinburgh need to find a replacement for.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ummm. no.

Cusiter is number 1.
Laidlaw is number 2.
Pyrgos is number 3.

Cusiter hasn't retired yet? Interestingly, Hart is only the 2nd Scottish international to play for Southern Districts after Cusiter.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cusiters only 32 or so. He signed a 2 or 3 year deal with Sale.

Our halfback stocks haven't been 100% since Lawson and Blair retired, but with Cusiter and Laidlaw moving onto Sale and Gloucester respectively means increased Gametime for Pyrgos, Hart and the current 3rd stringers, off the top of my head, that's Ali Price at Glasgow, and Sean Kennedy at Edinburgh.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As the FIFA World Cup has shown, only a small percentage of the nations involved worldwide can have even semi-pro leagues for local players. Big players chase big bucks, and Drogba don't play in Cote d'Voire.

Rugbyrugbyrugby

Frank Row (1)
Ummm. no.

Cusiter is number 1.
Laidlaw is number 2.
Pyrgos is number 3.

Did you actually watch Hart play for Edinburgh at all? He was their man of the match on a few occasions including in a big away Heineken Cup win over Gloucester and put forward a bunch of strong 80 minute performances across the season. He impressed so much that they "rested" Laidlaw for the last part of the season.

You are so far off the mark saying he's awful and needs to be replaced.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Had a shocking end to the season that was continued in the Argentina game. Laidlaw was indeed rested, Cotter put in the request himself, because the Edinbokkes season was dead in the water.

My post was harsh on him yes, but by the end of the season, he was lucky not to be benched, and he's still a fair way back in 4th.

I think he's capable, and deserves first crack at the Gunners starting halfback spot, but his ceiling as a player is rather low, so I would be worried if he was the starting halfback a couple of seasons from now.

He did play some great Rugby though, you are correct. He got a double at Meggetland against one of the Welsh teams, which was the best I'd ever seen him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.