• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Tuesday Top Five

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Rehab Ollie Richardson
Physio Nathan Carloss, Nigel Smith
Coach Nick Stiles (TBC)

Players: Horwill, Genia, Cooper (TBC), Biggsy's un-named future wallaby

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've heard from three unrelated people that he has a wallaby position. That doesn't mean he is leaving.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Haven't had time to watch all the Super Rugby games yet but -

- is this the year that the Crusaders can't make it back to be contenders?

- the strength of the NZ Conference

- the weakness of the Aus Conference - or are the Rebels improving it a tad now.

- the boot of Jack Debreczini

- the fall of the Sharks

- McCaw and Carter are World Cup type players but will the Kiwis be nervous about their form?

- the rise and rise of Sefanaia Neavalu - is he the fastest guy in Aus rugby?? A time of 10.05 secs for 100 meters as a schoolboy looks a bit far fetched (and if it is so, he would have slowed down bulking up for rugby but still …

Reference here:
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=279963

before that the fastest guy in Aus rugby was Brett Stapleton who ran 10.27 as a 16 y.o. from memory (Played in the ARC and for Oz Sevens) - but he lost his speed when he bulked up and wasn't much of a footie player (unlike Sefanaia N).

The Rebels have Sefa's best time as 10.50.

But the Top 14 clubs love fast Fijian wingers and there is a big enclave of Fijian rugby players and families over there…

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Round 11

Prior brain snap ruined any chance of Force winning - they also (Coleman) performed a tip tackle to lose the game at the death against the Bulls in the RSA.

Twin brothers as starting props in a Super Rugby game and I can't remember them playing better. They came to Oz with their family and Ruan played for Oz A Schools. The boys went back to the RSA for family reasons but returned. They were in the Rebels WTG before finding a home in Canberra,

Three maul tries for an Aussie team, all to Pocock, in one half of rugby.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Maul tries from the Western Force, Brumbies and Waratahs (haven't seen Reds match yet). Worthy of some writing attention.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Is there anything in the 'two sets of lines' in Sydney debacle?
Not much to discuss in it. It was just a very bad oversight by Hoffman. I mean, there is no excuse for it really. It was a very significant event though, I guess, so is that worthy? I thought we wanted discussion issues?
Just spit-balling here., as I digest my bacon and eggs. Lazy Monday!!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Mmmmm bacon...... Yeah I couldn't think of much in terms of discussion but it seems to be getting 'talked about' in multiple threads so I just thought I'd bung it in here in case someone smarter than me can turn it into a Top 5 point.

But as to your other suggestion, I think Bacon should certainly be in the Top 5.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Maybe the discussion issue is the broader one of referee accountability? The last two seasons have seen some howlers from referees with no clear approach from sanzar in addressing these problems.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The legality of mauls.

Did anybody notice a maul that was strictly legal on the weekend? One of the keys to a good maul is depth, but how the ball carrier gets to the back of a maul that starts shallow is nearly always illegal.

Either the players joining in, especially the hooker who has thrown the ball to a lineout, join in front of the ball carrier - or less obviously, the ball carrier does not bind with a full arm and slides back behind players who joined legally.

In this backward transition the ball carriers are most often in contact with team mates only with the palms of their hands, or with sliding arms, yet the laws refer to binding, not just contact.

All teams do it. Have to.

Just as guilty are defenders who reach forward, grab a guy and lift themselves so their weight bears down on the attacking maul, and/or as the attackers get displaced by bearing their weight, they are able to swim through. Sometimes they even end up on top of the maul as the attackers drive through.

Swimming through around the side is noticeable but doing the same through the middle, putting some of your weight on top of opponents is not.

Just as you have to keep your weight on your feet at the ruck, so it should be during the maul; otherwise it is dangerous play.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't know anyone, just about all mauls look illegal to me these days, but that might just mean I don't have a clue what the laws are anymore. Also looks like the refs are being very lenient on what they call 'stopped'.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Maybe the discussion issue is the broader one of referee accountability? The last two seasons have seen some howlers from referees with no clear approach from sanzar in addressing these problems.

I am one of the few who can see an excuse for Hoffman - though I wouldn't if I were a Rebels fan. One can see the case where he saw a line and the ball was passed back over it for clearance and he automatically though it was taken back, though it was the rugby league 20 metre line.

Now we all saw it on TV and wonder how he could have made the howler but you can picture that he was concentrating on one line which he does in every game and it clicked in that it was taken back.

You can argue that he should have known there were two lines but just as you can click into something, you can click out too. How many driving errors do we make every year when we click out? Even truckies make them and they are paid for it like Hoffman.

I'm just putting this here for our Top Five guy..

Status
Not open for further replies.