• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Who are these excellent wingers that can kick effectively and provide the exit strategies required? Please don't say Speight, Horne and Tomane. They have a lot of work to do in this aspect to "excellent" wing options.

Sorry. you're right. they're shit

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I agree. Douglas was the biggest revelation for me this tourney even more so then Gits. He offers something no other lock in Aus does. I can see some great battles with Douglas against the likes of Etzebeth, Rettalick in the future and I'm quietly confident Douglas will be able to hold his own against them.

Really? Douglas was the most important forward in 2014 in the Tahs side. I said at the end of 2014 that they would struggle to replace him and was shouted down a bit for it. It turns out his loss was pretty huge after all for the Tahs and Chieka was able to get him back to playing the way he did in 2014 (if not better) fairly quick. It is why I think he was selected in front of Horwill. (Note my oft repeated opposition to players being selected for the Wallabies without first having played that season for an Australian Super side still stands).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry. you're right. they're shit
Don't be a tool, where did I say they are shit, that is really lame. They certainly are not "excellent wingers" as there is a glaring hoe in the skill set, exacerbated if Folau is at 15.

Even at Super level the Tahs were left very exposed in having a back three unable to effectively exit with the boot.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Don't be a tool, where did I say they are shit, that is really lame. They certainly are not "excellent wingers" as there is a glaring hoe in the skill set, exacerbated if Folau is at 15.

Even at Super level the Tahs were left very exposed in having a back three unable to effectively exit with the boot.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell were great during the world cup, and yes they have the kicking game our other wingers don't, but our other wingers all have their unique strengths. As good as Mitchell has been at the world cup, the truth is that Horne was Cheika's first choice and would have played nearly every game had he been 100% fit. Much like Douglas, Cheika believes he gets better impact from Horne than the alternatives.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Anyone Worried Foley and Izzy and Big Dog are going to be cooked by next years Super Rugby ? Ain't they all off to Japan to play year round, when has going back to back to back season been good for a player ?

Cummins - Nup
O'Connor - Nup
Rocky - Nup

They come back half the player they were when they left.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Without picking o/s players - 2016 31 squad

Hk - Moore, Tpn, Hanson
Prop - Sio, Slipper, Smith, Holmes, Taavao/Talakai
Lock - Simmons, Douglas, Skelton, Carter
BR - Fardy, Mccalman, Mcmahon, Poey, Hoops, Vaea
SH - phipps, stirzaker, frisby
FH - foley, CLF
CEN - To'omua, Beale, Kerevi, Kuridrani
OB - Tomane, Horne, Folau, Naivalu

might see some others
Alexander, Mumm, Timani, Gill & Debrazcini
Jesus you dropped Speight pretty quick..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Players like Vaea and Lopeti Timani will need to increase their skillsets and fitness if they want to get a crack at test level.

Currently neither are a lineout option and Vaea in particular isn't fit enough.

England is probably the only top 10 side that regularly plays a one dimensional number 8 in Vunipola and often that's just for a stint off the bench.

I think there's a pretty strong chance we'll continue to see Pocock and Hooper together when healthy and McCalman's form has been strong. It's going to be hard for new players to break into that group when they're healthy and available.

Where is the Ita isn't fit coming from, the kid gets through a mountain of work..

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Who actually said that Fardy was "past it" pre-RWC?
I'll put my hand up and say that I lead the charge saying that his super form wasn't that good that he wasn't an automatic lock for the 6 jersey. I don't recall anyone saying he was past it though, in fact I said that he should still be picked because the same thing happened the previous year and he then became one of the wallabies' best after the 2nd French test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Who are these excellent wingers that can kick effectively and provide the exit strategies required? Please don't say Speight, Horne and Tomane. They have a lot of work to do in this aspect to "excellent" wing options.
Horne was first choice ahead of Mitchell before he got injured, speight could well take his spot though. I reckon Folau and Beale will be 14 and 15 in no particular order.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
From the same posters IIRC who said Fardy was past it before the RWC.
You'd have to be blind to not notice that vaea is carrying too much blubber, he needs some good time at the gym. Certainly wallaby potential there though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Really? Douglas was the most important forward in 2014 in the Tahs side. I said at the end of 2014 that they would struggle to replace him and was shouted down a bit for it. It turns out his loss was pretty huge after all for the Tahs and Chieka was able to get him back to playing the way he did in 2014 (if not better) fairly quick. It is why I think he was selected in front of Horwill. (Note my oft repeated opposition to players being selected for the Wallabies without first having played that season for an Australian Super side still stands).

That is all true, but his previous performances at Test level left a lot to be desired. Take Speight for example who has been the best winger in the last 3 years at super level and we all expected to come in and immediately make an impact at test level but struggled to get into the game. I guess that gave me less confidence in Douglas who was in the same boat, a great super xv player yet to prove himself at Test level - combined this with his long injury lay off and rumours of poor performance overseas left me with little confidence.

Glad he was able to transfer that 2014 form into Test level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where is the Ita isn't fit coming from, the kid gets through a mountain of work..

Sure he works hard on the field, but he also generally plays around 50 minutes.

Are you really convinced that he looks fit enough for test rugby right now?

I'm in no way ruling him out, just emphasising the areas he will need to improve to become a test player.

I doubt Cheika will pick him on the basis that all he wants out of him is to be an impact sub and isn't expected to have the fitness to play more than 30 minutes at test level.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sure he works hard on the field, but he also generally plays around 50 minutes.

Are you really convinced that he looks fit enough for test rugby right now?

I'm in no way ruling him out, just emphasising the areas he will need to improve to become a test player.

I doubt Cheika will pick him on the basis that all he wants out of him is to be an impact sub and isn't expected to have the fitness to play more than 30 minutes at test level.
Vaea is a real prospect.
BUT - we haven't seen a lot at Super level recently with injuries, just NRC. And the other ongoing issue is our lineout at Test level. Just as it has been problematic, it would remain so with him at 8. They really need to find a balance in our combos to cover this. Not saying it can't be done.
But, yeah, his impact with ball in hand and his other skills would be really nice.
I reckon he'll come out of pre-season firing. Hope so.