• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It'd be interesting to see if Cheika could get an extra gear or two out of him. Plenty of raw material.
I must admit I have no idea how he's been going up north.
You?

And I'd like to see him (Cheika) keep an eye on Peter Kimlin as well. Absolutely destroyed the BIL lineout last time around.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It'll be interesting to see which way Cheika goes with our centre combinations over the next year or so. I would think that's it for Giteau. Obviously the immediate answer is to go with To'omua/Kuridrani - which is a strong combo, but now that Cheika has the time over the next 4 years to really shape the team the way he wants to play, I wouldn't be surprised if he flips things on its head.

I just wonder whether we'll see a move away from the dual play maker approach of the last 8 years. It made quite a bit of sense during that time given that the talent we had available lent itself to that approach but there are other options available for 2019. Moving Folau to 13 is one option, as is moving Kuridrani to 12. Personally I really like the idea of developing Kerevi as a 12. A 12/13 of Kerevi/Kuridrani could be an ominous pairing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I expect there will be two playmakers so Kerevi/Kuridrani in the centres? highly unlikely - especially Kerevi, he needs a workrate improve; unless someone like Beale is at 15

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think Timani has a strong future at 8 for the rebels, if he can keep his handling right he has the same attributes as Vaea but is less of a liability at the lineout. I'd definitely like to see Vaea given a punt in the next season but Lopeti just looks like a violent silverback that idolizes Prince

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Wouldn't count Lilo out at 10/12 in the future either.

Kuridrani's best form was when he was paired with a creative (mercurial) distributor at 10. He never really created a whole lot of opportunities but was an excellent finisher at test level from memory. I think this may be why his form dropped playing with a more direct 10. A Lilo distributor could be key to opening up our runners like TK and Folau.

Lilo has a lot of upside. If you were to average his scores out of 10 for running, tackling, kicking (recent set kicking aside), distributing, and game management you wouldn't find many better. Therefore I advocate for him to be included in the Wallabies squad going forward. In fact now that I think about it, he must have slept with Cheika's wife as well as Luke Jones...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Problem with Lilo this season is that he didn't have something that set him apart from the 4+Beale that went.

With Cooper ineligible and Gits unlikely to continue to be selected, at a guess, he'll start as the bench boy for a Foley-To'omua midfield partnership.

T

TOCC

Lets not forget the elephant in the room which is the new 'flexible contracts', Bernard Foley and Israel Folau are both heading straight to Japan to play in the Top League until February and will then return to play in Super Rugby.

Nick Cummins and James O'Connor have tried to play back to back seasons and were completely underwhelming. I think its going to have negative consequences on both Folau's and Foley's form as they miss out on an off-seasons.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nick Cummins and James O'Connor have tried to play back to back seasons and were completely underwhelming. I think its going to have negative consequences on both Folau's and Foley's form as they miss out on an off-seasons.

Hopefully its not going to end up being the rule. Remembering that:

1) JOC (James O'Connor) had to play as JOC (James O'Connor) under The DFG

2) Cummins had to play at The Force where backlines aren't known for their ability to express themselves.

T

TOCC

Playing styles and coaching aside(remembering that Cummins earned Wallaby selection from the Force backline) it was injuries and their physical state which was most concerning.

Both players came back looking physically weary and carrying injuries, off-seasons are useful for building not only their strength and fitness levels back up but isolating injuries and allowing time for recovery.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Yep it will be interesting to see how Japan affects Foley and Falou, my understanding is that they won't join the Spring Tour next year?

I think the following starting 15 against England next year would be good, assuming AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gits, Mitchell hang up the boots.
1. Sio 2. Moore 3. Kepu 4. Simmons 5. Douglas 6. Fardy 7. Hooper 8. Pocock 9. Genia 10. Foley 11. Horne 12. Beale 13. Kuridrani 14. Tomane 15. Falou

I think that team right now has a good chance of beating England, retaining the Championship trophy and pushing for the Bledisloe.

Obviously looking forward to some boys trying to push for selection in Super 15s, think the WC would have inspired a lot of the players out of the squad to push a little harder next season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope Chubby has a slightly more imaginative approach. We are now at the start of the four year cycle, we need to look for, and test, some new blood.

By the way, the name you are looking for is Folau.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Wouldn't count Lilo out at 10/12 in the future either.

Kuridrani's best form was when he was paired with a creative (mercurial) distributor at 10. He never really created a whole lot of opportunities but was an excellent finisher at test level from memory. I think this may be why his form dropped playing with a more direct 10. A Lilo distributor could be key to opening up our runners like TK and Folau.

Lilo has a lot of upside. If you were to average his scores out of 10 for running, tackling, kicking (recent set kicking aside), distributing, and game management you wouldn't find many better. Therefore I advocate for him to be included in the Wallabies squad going forward. In fact now that I think about it, he must have slept with Cheika's wife as well as Luke Jones.

I certainly haven't given up on Lilo and I'll bet TGC hasn't either. I like him at 10 more than 12, because we're going to need someone to back up Foley in that position.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I reckon Christian played his best rugby at 10 just a couple of years ago before that broken ankle prior to the Lions tour. I have no idea why the Brumbies have never stuck with that combo of him at 10 with To'omua at 12.

Vaea is a guy who I was pumping big time as well before his health issues. I haven't seen him play at all really since coming back but if he is playing with the same reckless disregard for the opposition as he was then, he is a MUST for the Wallabies.

I hope that Fardy stays at the same intensity and hard-edge mutha-f**ker-ness he had about him in that semi against the Argies. Team that up with Pocock's total dominance over the breakdown and I think 'Pooper' is done it's dash.

Hooper just isn't the guy who worries the ABs. We can shut down a fast number 7 but struggle more with a hard mutha-fucker who just doesn't give up and dishes out hard hits as much as he can take them.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Will be interesting to see where the Brumbies play Pocock and Vaea next year. Will they persist with Poey at 7 even if the Wallabies' coach wants him at 8?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ita could develop into that big line bending eight that we want but he'll need to improve his fitness for test level. I don't think he would have coped with the pace of the game on the weekend. At the moment our back row is fantastic but that's not to say we shouldn't develop other combinations or some depth in key positions.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Ita could develop into that big line bending eight that we want but he'll need to improve his fitness for test level. I don't think he would have coped with the pace of the game on the weekend. At the moment our back row is fantastic but that's not to say we shouldn't develop other combinations or some depth in key positions.

Agree. But I think it's easier to get someone fit than it is to make them a hard bastard.

I really don't get the Hooper love. Taking a look at the ruck analysis ForceFan had on the home page just before the RWC Final, what exactly does Hooper bring to the table that is so irreplaceable or unique?

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
Agree. But I think it's easier to get someone fit than it is to make them a hard bastard.

I really don't get the Hooper love. Taking a look at the ruck analysis ForceFan had on the home page just before the RWC Final, what exactly does Hooper bring to the table that is so irreplaceable or unique?

agreed if he plays
Hoopers best positions are 12 13 or 14, hes faster than the current players there anyways, gives him more time to play with those golden locks of his too. aussies version of rueben thorne and taine randell