• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I've shortened it further for clarity.

More to the point, we know already that none of Giteau, To'omua or Lealiifano will be left standing after TRC. In the view of some posters, no-one else is even in the picture. So, beyond considering Kerevi, who else would you suggest might be still standing come the EOYT?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if Karmichael Hunt comes into the equation then. If he proves fitness in the NRC he's a good shout as Cheika has said he thinks he is a centre option.

But won't the tour tests be played in a test window? Can we not pick the usual candidates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Hodge trained so much at 12 in the last camp that most observers thought he was going to start, including Kerevi. Was carving it too apparently.

Saxter

Stan Wickham (3)
The weakest/ 'least dynamic' area on the park for the ABs is the centres. I think Cheik missed an opportunity by not getting Folau in at 13 and Dane to 15. The guile of Gits & skills of Israel there could be a game breaker. I am SOOO willing the Wallabies to get this victory but I don't think a 'safe' team like this will do it. I hope Cheik has been slipping in recordings to Genia's room overnight that just says "run it, run it, run itttttt..." Hope too that he instantly fast tracks Seva Naivalu from the Rebels when eligible. He can definitely displace one of the O/S wingers and break open any game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wouldn't be surprised if Karmichael Hunt comes into the equation then. If he proves fitness in the NRC he's a good shout as Cheika has said he thinks he is a centre option.

But won't the tour tests be played in a test window? Can we not pick the usual candidates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be very surprised if KHunt came into calculations as a 12. He has missed a lot of playing time this year, and as far as I know, he's still out injured atm. Also, he has played almost exclusively at 15, so he would be really an unknown at 12. And right at the moment I wouldn't put any credence in anything Cheika is reported or supposed to have said. He was very strong a few days ago in his observations about Quade's X-factor, and where's he?

Hodge does look to be the other player in contention. Kerevi has more Super Rugby experience than Hodge, including a start or two at 12 with the Wallabies, where he was clearly one of the outstanding contributors in an otherwise pretty ordinary backline. If he has a future at 12 down the track, persist with him now and give him every opportunity to grow into the position.

Not sure about the test window in November, but even if one exists it would just add error to error to again rely on the o/s based players at the expense of re-building the Wallabies with our best locally-based talent.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Who knows? All I know is Cheika has repeatedly said he sees him at 13, but I'm sure if you start a petition, he might change his mind. Might wait to see who's standing after TRC.

Looks like we won't have to wait until after the RC to see who's still standing. Giteau, To'omua and Horne aren't after just half a game.

Hopefully now we'll get some sanity into the discussion about Kerevi at 12. And we all know that means Quade not Foley at 10, but on the first half effort by Foley, that would be a huge improvement also.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Big changes needed

Next week's team

1 Sio
2 Taf
3 Allen
4 mumm
5 colman
6 Fardy
7 pocock
8 McCalman

9 Phipps
10 Cooper
11 Morahan
12 Karevi
13 Folau
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 dhp

16 ready
17 slipper
18 kepu
19 Douglas
20 Hooper/timani
21 Genia
22 hodge
23 Foley

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Big changes needed

Next week's team

1 Sio
2 Taf
3 Allen
4 mumm
5 colman
6 Fardy
7 pocock
8 McCalman

9 Phipps
10 Cooper
11 Morahan
12 Karevi
13 Folau
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 dhp

16 ready
17 slipper
18 kepu
19 Douglas
20 Hooper/timani
21 Genia
22 hodge
23 Foley

I wouldn't start Allan A, Douglas was OK (just), Genia was OK and DHP was nowhere near good enough defensively to stick at 15. Wing or bench for him, Hodge at 12, Kerevi 13 I reckon.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Next week

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Mumm
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock (C)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. DHP
12. Kerevi
13. Folau
14. Hodge
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Alaatoa
19. Coleman
20. Timani
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Whichever of Horne/Giteau/To'omua is fit

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
These selection chats are deck chairs on the Titanic guys. We are 2 generations off the All Blacks. While no doubt The ARU will revel in a goodish crowd (I've been in a 100k plus crowd at Homebush v Blacks) they won't comprehend the building dismay at the state of the game in Australia. Our structure is wrong, our focus is wrong, our results are inevitable. Andrew Hore the new CEO at NSWRU might be the shining light though. Let's hope the blazer brigade let him bring the reform so desperately needed.
Ble

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Next week

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Mumm
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock (C)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. DHP
12. Kerevi
13. Folau
14. Hodge
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Alaatoa
19. Coleman
20. Timani
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Whichever of Horne/Giteau/To'omua is fit

That could work. Maybe keep McCalman at 8, Pocock at 7, Hooper on bench and I'd go 12 Hodge, 13 Kerevi 15 Folau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wing. But that looks the gist of what we might have to try.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That could work. Maybe keep McCalman at 8, Pocock at 7, Hooper on bench and I'd go 12 Hodge, 13 Kerevi 15 Folau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wing. But that looks the gist of what we might have to try.

Would be happy to keep McCalman on bench instead of Timani as the line out would be less bad. The days of Hooper and Pocock playing 80 are behind us. One of the two will be captain and that one should play the 80 mins. Probably more likely to be Hooper with Poey taking a year off but am concerned he isn't ready.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Would be happy to keep McCalman on bench instead of Timani as the line out would be less bad. The days of Hooper and Pocock playing 80 are behind us. One of the two will be captain and that one should play the 80 mins. Probably more likely to be Hooper with Poey taking a year off but am concerned he isn't ready.
When Hooper is getting better reception from the ref than Moore, you know Moore is struggling. And he (Hooper) has improved in this a bit, and was tonight. Still not sure I'd have him as captain, nor Pocock from what I've seen of him as captain previously. It's a gap.
I agree Hooper and Pocock together is probably done, but jeez I wish we had an 8 that could solve that issue.