• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We should hire the Hurricane's defensive coach to replace Grey. I wonder what the likes of that happening is.. 100-1?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He has worked in South Africa, so why not. Would our blokes have the fitness for his rush though? Can you imagine Skelton summoning up the line speed?

Reactions: mst

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He has worked in South Africa, so why not. Would our blokes have the fitness for his rush though? Can you imagine Skelton summoning up the line speed?

I think they may be doing some pretty serious fitness work at the moment, but line speed is one thing, decision making and technique are the key.

When to rush and being effective

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Whatever the solution might be, I am damn sure that the current compressed backline and sliding defense has had its day. Too many good sides now able to get around the flanks and make good territory gains. I especially deplore the continued use of the sliding defense inside the 22m. Almost always gifts a try to any well organised attack.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Horses for courses with defence. Against a side like the Tahs, Brumbies and Wallabies who have a pathological aversion (and inability) to kick you can commit 13 to the line without fear and keep your 9 as a sweeper and just the 15 at the back for the unlikely kick. Makes the defence pretty easy.

If a side is much better balanced the rush defence can be negated with a good kicking game and/or the ability to offload.

Given the defence systems we have seen the NZ Super sides use I have very little faith that the Wallabies will be able to break the ABs.

As for the Wallabies their big problem isn't the slide defence, its the inability to accurately exit their half because of that same kicking issue.

I'd also add that the defensive issues with the Wallabies against England were exacerbated by some surprising individual misses and totally ineffective tackles. The big ones coming from Kurindrani, Fardy and Hooper, three I would usually be sure of making their tackles.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd also add that the defensive issues with the Wallabies against England were exacerbated by some surprising individual misses and totally ineffective tackles. The big ones coming from Kurindrani, Fardy and Hooper, three I would usually be sure of making their tackles.

Rob Horne also needs to take a share of the responsibility for missed tackles. Despite his reputation for being a top notch defender and that being perhaps the sole reason for his selection in the Wallabies, he missed three tackles in a row in one of the tests against the English. All in all, he had a test series to be forgotten.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On another thread, I have been accused by one of Cheika's chief apologists of ignoring Samu Kerevi's Wallabies' claims because he is nottabrumby.

To set the record straight, and perhaps to get some perspective into the debate about the Wallabies' backline, I will state here for the umpteenth time that I see Kerevi as a 12 and indeed I think he should be the starting 12 for the Wallabies.

Let's just contemplate what the makeup of the Wallabies' backline might look like after the 2016 RC. I cannot see Giteau or To'omua being available for the EOYT or the mid-year tests next year. So, who plays 12 in that scenario? The only alternative to Kerevi I can see is possibly Hodge, but he is a lot greener than Kerevi and arguably not yet as good.

It is very likely, probably almost inevitable that Kerevi will be the 12 on the EOYT. Now, what will make our many Tahs' fans sore is that Kerevi, not being a playmaker in their eyes, places a lot more pressure on Foley to retain his spot. My thoughts are that Foley misses out because he doesn't provide the full range of skills required of a match-winning No 10. Quade, in form, is the standout option to play 10 to Kerevi's 12.

Following on from that, the one and only reason Horne continues to get selected seems to have disappeared, viz to cover for Foley in defense. Maybe, we can look forward to getting some proper speed in the No 11 position with Naivalu and Speight the obvious contenders.

No 9 remains a contentious spot because of the absence of any real standout options. Phipps will be there still, and the other touring spots will be fought out by Frisby, Stirzaker and Powell.

DHP and Izzy are certainties if fit.

So, my backline for the EOYT woul;d be :

Phipps, Cooper, Naivalu, Kerevi, Kuridrani, DHP, Folau. Alternatively, if TK doesn't cement his spot at 13 in the Rc, then :

Phipps, Cooper, Naivalu, Kerevi, Folau, Speight, DHP.

In any case, the time is ripe right now for options to be tested in the RC. We must start planning for the end of the reigns of Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell etc.

T

Train Without a Station

BR,

I personally like something like:

Frisby (Based on Phipps' poor June tests), Cooper, DHP, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Hodge, Folau.

I would have preferred Quade not selected this year at all, told to play NRC, have a full off season, full pre-season and then come into 2017 hot.

But to me I see that being potentially our most potent backline we could offer for EOYT 2016/2017 season.

To me Frisby is a case of last man standing and I have no real preference for him. If any other option showed promise of Phipps improvement in his June flaws that would change.

Likewise Foley and Quade at 10. I just personally think right now that with Foley we will never have a strongly threatening backline and a kicking game. That said, I thought at times he did show strong improvement in bringing outside players into the game against England (especially the first test) so perhaps I will be proven wrong pretty quickly.

I also like the idea of Hodge and DHP on the wings as they bother offer strong kicking games/2nd fullback options and Hodge can be a huge attacking threat when he reduces his game errors a little.

But to me that's a backline that can pin you in your own half with the boot, can burn you on the outside, but with every player outside 10 at close to 100kg or over, some size. Also I think with that size in the midfield, it will only help Folau as defenders cannot drift off them. One of my biggest issues with Giteau is he lacks the pace to exploit gaps like he used to. As a result defenders can hang off him more, knowing he won't have the strength to break a late tackle attempt.

With Kerevi and Kuridrani they both are too big to hang off waiting to drift. You either need to commit, and Izzy gets more space to exploit, or you hang off and get brushed up the middle. Kerevi especially has the pace and footwork to make a break on the inside in that situation.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
9. TBC If Brynes works magic on Phipps passing then him.
10. Cooper - Best skill-set currently running around, especially kicking and Same reasoning as TWAS.
11. Speight - hopefully the sevens stint got him back to 2013/14 form. Otherwise another winger with genuine pace/footwork.
12. Kerevi - Future Nonu - love him at 12, really excited by him.
13. Hodge/Godwin - I'm drifting towards a dynamic 13 with all round skill and strength. I'm done with the one-dimensional crash-ballers (Kuridrani). Your line-breakers can be wingers who go roving Eg. Digby style. Or fullbacks entering the line. Folau.
14. DHP - one winger needs to be a second fullback type.
15. Folau - Keep him at fullback for his highball skills.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
What rugby - since we last got trounced by NZ last year with him at 10 - are people judging Cooper's selection at 10 on?

Fantasy is a potent drug

T

Train Without a Station

You're right. Clearly the difference between Sydney and Auckland last year was Foley and Cooper.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Just like the England series was Foley's fault and the World Cup success had nothing to do with him.

But back to my point - on which rugby over the last year are you basing Cooper's selection to the Wallaby 10 role?

T

Train Without a Station

I never said anything like that. I believe my comment was "potentially the most potent backline we could put together", or something similar. I think I even went on to elaborate the specific weaknesses in Foley's game that we needed improvement on in our team.

Your comment was "We lost in Auckland so Cooper bad".

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I will soften a bit and say that I'd like to see Cooper get a chance to show what he can do now in this team so that we can build some variation and depth at 10.

However, if the Foley/Gits combo works well again as it did in the RWC, that won't be easy to relegate.