• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm specifically talking about bringing back aging players that are not even as good as they were, and they weren't ever that good when they were peaking.

If it's such a good idea to bring back the older guys from France, why isn't New Zealand doing it?

Because they have a production line of players.
We don't.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The AB"s don't need to because they have better depth than us.........

I think it would be accurate to say that guys like Giteau and Mitchell actually got better from when they initially left, and proved as such at the RWC........

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was also one of our regular starters, and has barely been away a year.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
For the life of me I don't understand bringing back players who are certainly on the downslope of their careers - Giteau, Mitchell, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - that have won absolutely all of their caps across a period in which we won absolutely no desirable silverware? What are they going to teach the younger guys? How to get dominated by the ABs 90% of the time?

In 2015 they won the Rugby Championship and made a World Cup Final. Gits and Drew also won the European Championship, with Drew scoring the crucial try in the final. Pretty handy experience if you ask me.......

tragic

John Solomon (38)
But what have they done for us lately...?

;)

Bugger all as they've been on another bloody continent.
Doesn't mean they're not a better option that what we've got at home.
We looked a damn side more competitive in the RWC than we have this year.

Edit: and I saw your smiley face so that's really directed at Lorenzo and not you

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Our incumbent 9, Genia, returning from injury.

The statement to me read like an argument to exclude Phipps from the squad. The fact is for his limitations nobody else has his speed to the breakdown or his workrate. His cover defence is also the best from a 9 since Gregan.

I'm hoping that Mick Byrne has been polishing some major skill deficiencies as best he can in his limited time.

I would be very concerned if Genia started after his long injury lay off.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The statement to me read like an argument to exclude Phipps from the squad. The fact is for his limitations nobody else has his speed to the breakdown or his workrate. His cover defence is also the best from a 9 since Gregan.

I'm hoping that Mick Byrne has been polishing some major skill deficiencies as best he can in his limited time.

I would be very concerned if Genia started after his long injury lay off.

Nah it was an argument to have genia start with Phipps on the bench.
Predicated by the statement "if he trains well" acknowledging that he has had a long injury layoff
If he's off the pace then we are short of options as you point out.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm specifically talking about bringing back aging players that are not even as good as they were, and they weren't ever that good when they were peaking.

If it's such a good idea to bring back the older guys from France, why isn't New Zealand doing it?
Gits at his peak, was talked about as World rugby player of the year, His won European player of the year in recent times, and was playing pretty well in the WC. He also would have made a massive difference against England I believe. His picked because his one of our best 12's between which is between him and To'omua..

And lastly, the Australian guys had a chance to show that the guys from oversea's didn't need to come back, and they got done 3 nil.

It's about winning rugby games..

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
But what have they done for us lately...?

;)

What has the current lot done for us lately?... I guess if you look really hard you could find a positive or two out of the English series.....

ummm.

Oh DHP was a good find. Thats it. ;)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
How does that work? What does Kerevi (or any other inside back) learn from watching Giteau play that he can't learn by watching the 100 other tests that Giteau has played? Wouldn't he learn more by actually playing?

Again, when it comes to the tests that we really want to win - those against the ABs - these guys are accustomed to losing. It's not like they have some killer instinct they can pass on.

Maybe a couple of them will learn how to kick?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I actually agree with Spiro. Overseas based players should only be picked in a World Cup year.

This should be our development year.

Reactions: mst

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I actually agree with Spiro. Overseas based players should only be picked in a World Cup year.

This should be our development year.

It should be. . . Unless you just faced a 3 Nil whitewash at home and are now facing a losing streak of 6 maybe 7 in a row, a new record I think.

The "development" will be aided by the experienced players. Even if they are only used to strengthen our bench it is a positive in my view.

Had we smashed England 3 Nil I'd be agreeing with you.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So could this be a potential future comment?
It should be. Unless you just faced a 3 Nil whitewash 5 losses and a single win at home and are now facing a losing streak of 7 losses in 9 games in a row, which is a new record I think.

The "development" will be could have been aided by the experienced players during the RC. Even if they are were only used to strengthen our bench it is a positive in my view.

Had we smashed England 3 Nil had of won more than 2 games in the RC I'd be agreeing with you.

But now, with only the EOYT and the O/S guys gone, we are in a really deep hole
:)

The reality is we need to have 2x RC's where the team is competitive and or wins the thing, and it cant be in 2019 as that is the warm up / tweaking period and the team needs to be bedded in before hand.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If we beat the All Blacks in either game it will be worth it. It will in-still so much belief into the team especially the younger guys, as well as the fans.

I disagree. Most supporters will say so what. Beat the AB's in a year they are rebuilding is basically meaningless and shows nothing for the future.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The ABs don't 'rebuild'. They just 'reload'.
Beating them this year would be a miracle.
Winning the Bledisloe.........I can't even comprehend that

That is my point and your comment hits nail on the head!

We (Wallaby supporters) are not really convinced that our current crop of Wallabies can do the job. They may get lucky and win games here or there, but Wallabies supporters just cant see them measuring up against the AB's atm.

Its time to accept that our "Leyland P76 Walliabies" belongs in the shed. It just can't deliver what it promised and its now superseded.