• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

T

Train Without a Station

Foley/Gits worked well?

Obviously you didn't play outside of them. Most of our outside backs had some of their worst form in recent memory during the RWC. Unless they were dropping passes cold and falling off tackles some of this blame must be shared by the dual "playmakers" that are setting them up.

I thought Foley was the stronger of the two, but his strongest form was from individual brilliance, which is great, but unlikely to be replicated against the strongest teams.

I guess it worked well if navigating a convenient draw is your bench mark. But off the back of a strong performing pack, it hardly flexed it's muscle as a combination.

It's funny, you look across the ditch at that team that has dominated World Rugby for almost eternity and how they do things. Despite the howls of comments like "Cooper would never make the All Blacks", players like Nonu have had huge flaws in their game and temperament earlier in their careers. Where the attitude here is "good players need to prove they are world beaters" they All Blacks have the attitude that they can unlock the potential in talented but flawed players and put time into players like Nonu trying to get them to reach their best.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Foley/Gits worked well?

Obviously you didn't play outside of them.

Yeah, sorry. I forgot you did.

Where the attitude here is "good players need to prove they are world beaters" they All Blacks have the attitude that they can unlock the potential in talented but flawed players and put time into players like Nonu trying to get them to reach their best.

Like Carlos Spencer?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Foley/Gits worked well?

I guess it worked well if navigating a convenient draw is your bench mark. But off the back of a strong performing pack, it hardly flexed it's muscle as a combination.

You mean the 'convenient draw' that the rest of world rugby called the 'pool of death'?

Your revision of history gets more entertaining by the minute

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You mean the 'convenient draw' that the rest of world rugby called the 'pool of death'?

Your revision of history gets more entertaining by the minute

Some of the comments on the front page about the RWC knock me over.

'Yeah we made the final, but we LOST BY 17 POINTS'.

I'd wish I'd have known the RWC was such a failure, I wasted six months feeling upbeat and happy with the Wallabies. Like a real chump.

T

Train Without a Station

Wow Gagger! If the media says it is MUST be true!

The whole basis of the pool of death was based on reputation, not facts.

Reputation says it's 3 top tier teams.

Did the rest of World Rugby say that? Or did England, Wales and Australia say that?

Facts say that England won 12 of their last 20 games before the RWC, and Wales 11 of their last 19. Neither played more than 35% of their annual tests against NZ & SA like Australia did.

That was our 11th win in a row against Wales, wasn't it?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
What rugby - since we last got trounced by NZ last year with him at 10 - are people judging Cooper's selection at 10 on?

Fantasy is a potent drug

That's exactly what the back-line I named was. A fantasy one, which most future predictions are....(basically what this whole thread is about)

I also named Hodge at 13 and he hasn't even played a Test. Based on pure speculation on his perceived well-rounded skill-set.

The other fantasy I like to imagine is Foley learning how to kick. Not sure which fantasy is more likely to come true:
Cooper losing flakiness and gaining consistency or
Foley learning how to kick

I based my fantasy back-line selection that the later is less likely.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just on the expectation that Kerevi is our 12 of the future - I don't disagree. BUT. It's not going to happen straight away as many have pointed out, he will take a while to develop into the type of player the modern game wants as a 12 when we take on the top nations. I wonder that if Beale was available whether Cheika would have called Giteau back? I'm thinking not. Calling Beale back under reg 9 is a card that I'm sure Cheika will keep up his sleeve this time next year if he is playing well, is playing at 12, and is not injured obviously. For the June series we probably will get a bit of experimentation, Kerevi, Hodge and Horwitz all potential contenders.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just on the expectation that Kerevi is our 12 of the future - I don't disagree. BUT. It's not going to happen straight away as many have pointed out, he will take a while to develop into the type of player the modern game wants as a 12 when we take on the top nations. I wonder that if Beale was available whether Cheika would have called Giteau back? I'm thinking not. Calling Beale back under reg 9 is a card that I'm sure Cheika will keep up his sleeve this time next year if he is playing well, is playing at 12, and is not injured obviously. For the June series we probably will get a bit of experimentation, Kerevi, Hodge and Horwitz all potential contenders.

By next RWC Kerevi at 12 is very do-able. This year is too soon, but I hope gets some game-time at least, even at 13 for the experience. Which I'm pretty confident will happen at some stage this RC or EOYT.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
By next RWC Kerevi at 12 is very do-able. This year is too soon, but I hope gets some game-time at least, even at 13 for the experience. Which I'm pretty confident will happen at some stage this RC or EOYT.
By 2019 RWC absolutely, in between now and then we'll probably see him nurtured in to the position as you infer.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Who knows? All I know is Cheika has repeatedly said he sees him at 13, but I'm sure if you start a petition, he might change his mind. Might wait to see who's standing after TRC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
C'mon Cyclo. Cheika has been sprouting a whole lot of nonsense lately. It would be unwise ti take anything he's saying at face value, assuming of course you can actually decipher the foreign language he seems to speak in. But more importantly, rather than what i or you or anyone else might think Cheika is saying, who do you think the options for No 12 are for the EOYT and beyond?