• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From the Crimes..........

Emerging prop Allan Ala'alatoa has taken the first step in his bid to wear Wallabies gold after being invited to a Test briefing with Australian coach Michael Cheika last weekend.

Ala'alatoa joined a host of ACT Brumbies in the meeting with Cheika and NSW Waratahs players, with lock Rory Arnold also taking part as he prepares for a potential recall to Super Rugby duties.

It's understood hard-working Brumbies back-rower Jarrad Butler is also on the national radar despite missing the meeting as the ACT side stamps its authority on the Super Rugby season.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...ace-in-south-africa-trip-20160308-gndcv2.html

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Good inclusions. Gee it's good to be talking about some exciting prospects coming through in the tight 5.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Definitely. There is some exciting talent coming through the ranks in the pigs. Listening to Bob Dwyer on the podcast last night confirmed for me that we're heading in the right direction.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Folau, Horne, Kuridrani, To'omua, Tomane, Lealiifano, Phipps, Pocock, Hooper, Fardy, Carter, Jones, Holmes, Moore, Sio.

Hanson, Smith, Alexander, Coleman, Vaea, Meehan, Beale, DHP

Not considered - Speight, Foley, Stirzaker, McCalman

Lock is probably the hardest spot to fill atm. Rob Simmons is out of form, as is Skelton. Dean Mumm is ineffectual; Rory Arnold has missed one of the games with injury.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Sio, Moore, Smith, Simmons, Skelton, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, Genia, Lealiifano, Tomane, To'omua, Kuridrani, Beale, Folau

Hanson, Holmes, Slipper, Carter, McMahon, Phipps, Horne, Foley

Only considered Genia of overseas players, and didn't pick any 7s players either. Assuming all currently injured players are fit. Backrow depth a worry - probably need to find room in there for McCalman.

Depth at wing a real concern - hoping NAbuli or Ribnson can step up, as Naivalu won't be fit (or eligible til September), Shipperley, F-Sautia, Morahan, English need to do a lot more...

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Sio, Moore, Smith, Simmons, Skelton, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, Genia, Lealiifano, Tomane, To'omua, Kuridrani, Beale, Folau

Hanson, Holmes, Slipper, Carter, McMahon, Phipps, Horne, Foley

Only considered Genia of overseas players, and didn't pick any 7s players either. Assuming all currently injured players are fit. Backrow depth a worry - probably need to find room in there for McCalman.

Depth at wing a real concern - hoping NAbuli or Ribnson can step up, as Naivalu won't be fit (or eligible til September), Shipperley, F-Sautia, Morahan, English need to do a lot more.

And then further to this, if I could make it a 30 man squad, I'd add:

Ala'alatoa, Tatafu, Coleman, Gill, McCalman, Stirzaker, Shipperley

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
- Cheika has expressed interest in brining Genia in v England
- Douglas & TPN to be still injuyred
- Naiyaravoro to fulfil his rumoured return in time for england selection
- Speight will play in Paris and London 7s in May. I doubt they will let him do those final rounds, then go play england tests...then go to olympics. Chances are he will not be available for selection as the 7s players will go into camp between London and Rio.

1. Sio 2. Moore 3. Holmes
4. Skelton 5. Simmons
6. Fardy 8. Poey 7. Hooper
9. Phipps 10. Foley 12. To'omua 13.TK
11. Tomane 15. Folau 14. Horne
16. Hanson 17. Slipper 18. Smith 19. Coleman 20. Mccalman 21. Genia 22. Beale 23. Naiyaravoro

Little worried about lineout, but I don't really rate Carter against the big northern units and not sure if Coleman could start. Missing Douglas.....

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But I thought the question was, "based on the two rounds played so far". In that case, injured players, overseas players and Simmons and Skelton (out of form) really can't get spots.

Why especially is backrow depth a problem? Fardy, Hooper and Pocock are standouts, would probably make a world team atm, and then there's McMahon, Vaea, Reid, Cottrell any of whom would step up to the grade.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
But I thought the question was, "based on the two rounds played so far". In that case, injured players, overseas players and Simmons and Skelton (out of form) really can't get spots.

Why especially is backrow depth a problem? Fardy, Hooper and Pocock are standouts, would probably make a world team atm, and then there's McMahon, Vaea, Reid, Cottrell any of whom would step up to the grade.
McMahon has been variable at Wallaby level, but looks likely. We really don't know that any of the other will step up at all. We've seen plenty of good Super Rugby players who don't transfer that level of play to Tests, so I would assume nothing. I would agree we have plenty of promising players in back row positions, which is good.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i'm surprised that skelton has been moving so slowly around the park, as he looked trimmer in pre-season. I think he has a fair bit of work to get through to lift his game to gold jersey level. The competition for jersey's across the team should be a nice motivator (fingers crossed).

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

I interpreted that as "has anybody used the first two rounds to convince you they should be in the team" as opposed to 'only players who have played in the first two rounds should be considered'.

Based on the first two rounds, I have Lealiifano starting. Based on my own opinions of who are the best players for each position, I have Sklton & Simmons starting.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd say right now, in Cheika's view, the core group of 'incumbent' locks would include Simmons, Douglas, Skelton and Carter............

Arnold would be next in line.........

In my opinion Coleman is the outsider with the best chance of breaking into that group.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Of that group of second-rowers Skelton hasn't performed so far this year and Douglas is injured. Coleman's been knocking on the door for a couple of years now but the room's been full, I sincerely hope he doesn't do a Jones and scarpa to the NH if he feels he won't get a start in gold. IMHO he's the sort of hard-nosed Super Rugby Cheika could develop into something special, a la Brad Thorn.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Simmo never really looks in form. He is what he is at this stage.

He will be good in lineouts and scrums (as he has for the reds) and you won't see much of him around the park.

He'll give away a dumb penalty once every couple of games.

Coaches will keep picking him because of the set piece and the rest of us will keep looking for someone better

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is round two FFS, plenty of time for the early "bolters" to revert to their norm and units like Simmons to find their's

This happens pretty much every year.

It's a long season and it needs to be remembered that RWC players are coming off a short preseason after their 2015 season finished at the end of October. Someone like Skelton has just returned from substantial surgery.

The first test squad of the year will be picked in late May or early June, not in March.