• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Simmo never really looks in form. He is what he is at this stage.

He will be good in lineouts and scrums (as he has for the reds) and you won't see much of him around the park.

He'll give away a dumb penalty once every couple of games.

Coaches will keep picking him because of the set piece and the rest of us will keep looking for someone better

If that's his average, he well and truly gave away his quota last weekend.

T

TOCC

Ah same old crap, "Simmons is a penalty magnet", despite stats from 2014/2015 which showed he was either penalised less then or equal to the other lock candidates.

T

TOCC

2016 top penalty recipients:

Pocock: 6
Dean Mumm :5
Angus Ta'avao: 5
Guy Millar: 4
Rob Simmons: 4
Scott Fardy: 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I always thought the argument against Simmons was the type of penalties he gives away rather than the amount. Pocock/Fardy give them away contesting the breakdown which is fair enough, you want them pushing the boundary. Simmons' are usually those dumb needless ones like interfering with the man in the air.

T

TOCC

Yes of course, its easier to argue something subjective if it can't can't be measured against quantitative data.

It's like the old missed tackle debate, you can't miss a tackle if you don't place yourself in a position to make it..

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Rob Simmons falls under my new rule, entitled: 'You killed it for us at the World Cup, so you get a free pass for Super Rugby.' I don't care if the bloke starts attempting drop goals or gets red carded every game for roundhouse kicking the ref (though that may be cause for concern), he gets a free pass because he's stepped up when it counted the most.

I am not going to regard Super Rugby form at all when looking at the team for England, except for 4 spots. If I was Michael Cheika I would have these names already LOCKED:

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
13. Kuridrani
15. Folau

Set in stone. Locked. In. And I'm 95% on having To'omua at 12 and Beale on the wing. So really it's only one wing spot and one second row spot on the table.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd say To'omua and Tomane are close to locked, Beale maybe starting on wing but more likely super-sub. That 5 jumper is open - Carter doing no harm, real chance for someone who has been on the fringe to get the gig. I think the reserves will be the interesting spots in all likelihood, rather than the starters, obviously injuries permitting.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When is Douglas due back?

Carter is certainly in hot form right now and would likely be the direct replacement if needed.......

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Carter is in form, but at test level he has generally been a copy of Simmons, rather than complementing him. I wonder if they'll be more likely to go for someone Coleman or maybe even Arnold who provide less work rate but more grunt.

Normally I would expect it more likely they introduce one of those guys off the bench, but I can't really think of anyone else I think is likely to be in front of them. I like Jones, but I don't think he fits that player profile. I don't think Skelton's form is there at the moment - but that could change.

With regard to Beale, I agree with Cyclo that he is more likely to be in the bench, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cheika pick him on the wing.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Smith at THP is not the option. He was absolutely towelled up last week against the Bulls at THP. Alexander will be the reserve however his performance last night was sub par and was hooked at half time. Who is the next best THP?

IMO:

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Tomane
15. Folau

17. Slipper
19. Skelton
20. McCalman
22. Beale

T

TOCC

Not likely Wallaby starters but I've been impressed with Force pair DHP and Jono Lance, they are standout players in a lacklustre team. I think DHP is second only to Folau and will be included in the Wallaby squad, and whilst Lance is behind Lealifano, Beale, Foley and To'omua he could see time in the wider training squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Best performed THPs behind Holmes so far this year are Talakai and Makin. Both very good in open play as well as at set piece. I wouldn't mind a gamble on one or the other.

Tomane more likely to be 11 rather than 14. That's where he plays for the Brumbies.

I won't have Foley in my 23 until he demonstrates on the ground that he is fit, not having been over-worked by not having an off-season, and that his form warrants selection. At this stage, Lealiifano is in front of Lance for the 10 spot. And I would hazard that both are kicking their goals as good as Foley would be expected to do.

Defintely, DHP should be in the mix. Could even take the open side winger spot playing similarly to Ben Smith.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There is plenty of time for Foley to prove he is fit & in form. It's only March. 10 is Foleys spot to lose, as per Baabaa's post above.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yes of course, its easier to argue something subjective if it can't can't be measured against quantitative data.

It's like the old missed tackle debate, you can't miss a tackle if you don't place yourself in a position to make it..

Meh. Of course it can be measured against quantitive data. It's just harder to do so because you can't look up the number from the couch after a couple of beers.

As it happens I agree with you at the substantive level of Simmons. But let's not pretend that the subset of stats published online represent rugby.

There's no invisibility stat to measure Macaw against.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Best performed THPs behind Holmes so far this year are Talakai and Makin. Both very good in open play as well as at set piece. I wouldn't mind a gamble on one or the other.

Weekes is the best scrummaging THP prop in Aus at the moment after Holmes by some way

I expect the props to be

THP: Holmes & Weekes

LHP: Sio & Slipper

Floater\5th prop: Smith

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Since when did Foley reach the remarkable heights of being an automatic Wallaby selection? All last year there was plenty of debate about Beale or Cooper being in the mix for the position and while he did good in the RWC Foley is nowhere near a lock at Wallaby level. He is not Dan Carter. There is legitimate competition for the No 10 spot again this year and he will need to show that he is in top form as well as being fit to take the spot against England. If he comes back to his form at the RWC, then he will certainly get first dibs.