• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

Hoiles made an interesting comment on the current Aus talent, he highlight the results over the last 8 odd years of Aus U20s results (about 5th in the world each year) and suggested we are about where that suggests with the Aus side today

Based on that logic, Queensland should be the best Super Rugby team in AustralIa.

Australias performance in the U20s space is a reflection of falling or stagnant investment comparatively to other nations in the world, for other reasons stated before, the U20s JWC increasingly suits NH nations as its alligned to their season, or one like New Zealand where they shift the U19s forward to Oct/Nov. I certainly don't think it's a reflection of the talent of player in Australia nor should it be used as an excuse for why the Wallabies are playing so badly.

Fans expect better, because they know the players are capable of playing better. Fans aren't angry because players played their hearts out, they're angry because they make basic schoolboy errors and make decisions or follow a game plan which at times makes no sense.

S

sidelineview

And their basic skills are inadequate, which to harp on a point, goes back to junior club and school development.
To think of all the money spent on the Super Rugby debacle that could have been siphoned into junior coaching and development.
training development officers to coach the young players; to coach the coaches.

i thought the statement from the Wallabies skills coach was a gee up at first.

That's another source of frustration from fans; the woulda coulda and shoulda factor regarding coaching and development of players coming through the ranks.
At least there needs to be a plan to remedy this glaring oversight.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If we lose those expectations (edit: that we belong in the top 2-3), we're finished for good. That's the only thing holding Aus rugby up atm, the expectation that we should be better than we are.

We can have the expectations, but we have moments, like now, when we simply don't have the cattle to meet those expectations.

T

TOCC

That may be your opinion that the current performance of the wallabies is a reflection of their ability, in which case, i find that quite sad..or perhaps an attempt to shift the blame from the coaches to the players..

But i don't feel that way, most if not all those players are capable of playing to a level which far exceeds their current performances. For some, its like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole, they just aren't suited for the role which the coach expects them to play.

My minimum expectation for the individuals, is that they are able to execute the basic skill sets like passing in front, holding onto the ball in contact and demonstrating proper tackling technique. As a team, my minimum expectation is that at a selection level, the right players are selected for the task, that the players buy into the game plan and trust those around them and that they demonstrate a sound level of tactical acumen. none of which is currently occurring, but not something the current players and coaches aren't capable of achieving.

S

sidelineview

The Kiwis have some great talent but how are these players prepared for International games as compared to the Wallabies?

What was the pathway from juniors/schoolboy level to the All Blacks for the average Kiwi player as compared to that of the average Wallaby?

They're obviously better but why are they tougher and more skillful?

I dont have all the answers but tracking back in time for individuals as a study will reveal a lot.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We can have the expectations, but we have moments, like now, when we simply don't have the cattle to meet those expectations.

There are essentially 2 parties to a teams performance
1. Players
2 Coaches

Players are trying as hard as they can (I reckon)
Major blame to the coaches.
fatprop you should really acknowledge the deficiencies where they are instead of blindly toeing Cheks (and others) line

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. Players
2 Coaches

fatprop you should really acknowledge the deficiencies where they are instead of blindly toeing Cheks (and others) line

When Samu decides he can't be bothered to try and chase Squire I disagree.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When Samu decides he can't be bothered to try and chase Squire I disagree.

There was so much wrong with that. He looked so off the pace it wasn't funny and ran towards where the player was right then rather than where he was going to be by the time Kerevi got there.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1. Players
2 Coaches

I will acknowledge that there are lots of issues with the players and the coaching, I disagree that Chieka is the major issue

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Horseshit I say.

We literally picked 3 passengers in the forward pack. Blind freddy could tell you that

Then we've got a defensive system that literally takes EVERYTHING that you learn as a back growing up, and throws it out the window.

They'd be forgiven to think they'd ended up at King's Cross at 3am... Shooters & drifters everywhere and no one sure exactly where to go next.

This isn't the fault of the players, it's the fault of the coaching staff.

There's no way on earth that the BEST Wallaby XV would be 40-6 points down at half time.

We're not that bad.

T

TOCC

I will acknowledge that there are lots of issues with the players and the coaching, I disagree that Chieka is the major issue

Incredible... Cheika dictates selections, game plan and even assistant coach recruitment.. of course he is a major issue.. bloke needs to learn to adapt, what worked 2 years ago is clearly no longer working

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As mentioned in that article though............

Kerevi already has major defensive issues, and when he's put in the middle of a convoluted defensive system the results are pretty obvious.

I had to laugh watching Kick and Chase last night as a panel of Nathan Grey's former teammates and players he's coached criticised the defensive efforts of the Wobs but couldn't go so far as to call for his position to be in question.......

But the fact is the defense of the teams he's coached for the past two years have been poor......... he has to go.

Bring in someone like Peter Ryan whose results speak for themselves.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As mentioned in that article though....

Kerevi already has major defensive issues, and when he's put in the middle of a convoluted defensive system the results are pretty obvious.

I had to laugh watching Kick and Chase last night as a panel of Nathan Grey's former teammates and players he's coached criticised the defensive efforts of the Wobs but couldn't go so far as to call for his position to be in question...

But the fact is the defense of the teams he's coached for the past two years have been poor... he has to go.

Bring in someone like Peter Ryan whose results speak for themselves.

Was Rhino coaching the defence to some degree even when he was playing for the Brumbies? For some reason I seem to remember something like that. Bloody hard nut. Can't argue with the proposition that he would be a damn good option!

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks Reg, it's a good blog. Nick Bishops article mentioned earlier was also good.

What i wanted though was specifics from the claim being made, before rejecting it out of hand. On the whole, Kerevi issues were not individual issues as much as strategy problems.

Mate it was that first try. I know he wasn't going to make it but at least have a go.