• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Was Rhino coaching the defence to some degree even when he was playing for the Brumbies? For some reason I seem to remember something like that. Bloody hard nut. Can't argue with the proposition that he would be a damn good option!

One of the real under rated leaguie converts. Great 6.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hooper today talking about a warm up match. Surely between World Rugby and the ARU they could organise an annual test with Fiji, Tonga, Samoa or Japan to start our season. Make it home and away rotation. Imagine the benefit to the tier 2 nations.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I will acknowledge that there are lots of issues with the players and the coaching, I disagree that Chieka is the major issue

He has to be the major issue. He is selecting the squad, the 23 and the assistant coaches and none of them are able to get the job done at a reasonable level. He also no doubt at least has the final say in our attack and defense strategies.
He is ultimately responsible and if nothing changes soon he will be the first to feel the cold steel, and rightly so. He needs to take a hard and honest look at his setup and make some changes if he does not want this to happen. Our performances since the world cup have been pretty terrible and appear to be getting worse.
Time for him to re-boot and go in a different direction............or not and be replaced in the not too distant future.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It also does the Wallabies no favors having to face the ABs twice first up every year. A run or two against Argentina and/or the Boks would certainly make it a little easier to bond as a group and embed any new systems/players.
Another decision or deal made by the ARU with zero vision.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Mate it was that first try. I know he wasn't going to make it but at least have a go.

It was worth asking - thought you meant something later in the half. I'll have a look tonnight on the full recording, but from the highlights he slows up but follows through rather than stops. Genia is in the second FB role and does little though the size difference would be an issue.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper today talking about a warm up match. Surely between World Rugby and the ARU they could organise an annual test with Fiji, Tonga, Samoa or Japan to start our season. Make it home and away
rotation. Imagine the benefit to the tier 2 nations.

At least we SHOULD be competitive against those teams

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Horseshit I say.

We literally picked 3 passengers in the forward pack. Blind freddy could tell you that

Then we've got a defensive system that literally takes EVERYTHING that you learn as a back growing up, and throws it out the window.

They'd be forgiven to think they'd ended up at King's Cross at 3am. Shooters & drifters everywhere and no one sure exactly where to go next.

This isn't the fault of the players, it's the fault of the coaching staff.

There's no way on earth that the BEST Wallaby XV would be 40-6 points down at half time.

We're not that bad.

I agree our best "defensive" wallaby 15 wouldn't have been down 40-6 at half time, but I still think they would have lost by 20 odd points by the end of the match

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Was Rhino coaching the defence to some degree even when he was playing for the Brumbies? For some reason I seem to remember something like that. Bloody hard nut. Can't argue with the proposition that he would be a damn good option!

This is my coaching team:

Cheika - Head Coach
Fischer - Forwards/set piece etc
Peter Ryan - Defence
Phil Mooney - Attack

EDIT: Byrne retained as skills coach. Ideally, we'll steal that mental skills coach from NZ too.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
This is my coaching team:

Cheika - Head Coach
Fischer - Forwards/set piece etc
Peter Ryan - Defence
Phil Mooney - Attack

The problem is, the assistant coaches get no say into what team is picked.

So long as Cheika is in charge of team selections, we are doomed to fail.

He has proven for over 3 years straight now that he can't see the forest from the trees.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The problem is, the assistant coaches get no say into what team is picked.

So long as Cheika is in charge of team selections, we are doomed to fail.

He has proven for over 3 years straight now that he can't see the forest from the trees.

So you believe the Larkham, Grey, Byrne & Ledesma have no input?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There was so much wrong with that. He looked so off the pace it wasn't funny and ran towards where the player was right then rather than where he was going to be by the time Kerevi got there.

Are you suggesting he should have been running to his kick-off spot because no way was he ever going to catch Squire.:(

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
So you believe the Larkham, Grey, Byrne & Ledesma have no input?

Do you really think Ladesma would be "nah yeah sweet as" with the back row we trotted out on the weekend? As for Byrne - of course he wouldn't. He's not highly rated for having rocks in his skull.

Would Larkham have been fine with To'omua getting 4 minutes in the Rugby World Cup final while Beale gets 60 to mark up on Ma'a Nonu and directly contributes to 3 All Black tries? What about the hog posh defensive structure employed? Do you think one of the soundest tackling 10's would be happy with musical chairs on defense.

I know it's hard to admit that NSW's messiah is a dud, but his results (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

T

TOCC

Yeah listen Chaika mightn't be the cause of the issues, but he has made it his issue by surrounding himself with people who are the problem. When you select the defensive coach of the team with a shocking defensive record, and the attack coach from a team with one dimensional attack, you subsequently make their problems your problem.

Who's decision was it to select a centre pairing of Kerevi and Beale? At the end of the day Cheika is the head coach, he dictates selections, and if his assistant coaches aren't implementing an effective game plan then it falls at Cheikas feet to rectify this.

Cheika is the head coach, the buck stops st him.. just like it does in any other organisation, the CEO is ultimately responsible for ensuring all departments are working effectively. So enough of this Cheika apologists crap, if he doesn't want his name muddied then do something about it..

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah listen Chaika mightn't be the cause of the issues, but he has made it his issue by surrounding himself with people who are the problem. When you select the defensive coach of the team with a shocking defensive record, and the attack coach from a team with one dimensional attack, you subsequently make their problems your problem.

Who's decision was it to select a centre pairing of Kerevi and Beale? At the end of the day Cheika is the head coach, he dictates selections, and if his assistant coaches aren't implementing an effective game plan then it falls at Cheikas feet to rectify this.

Cheika is the head coach, the buck stops st him.. just like it does in any other organisation, the CEO is ultimately responsible for ensuring all departments are working effectively. So enough of this Cheika apologists crap, if he doesn't want his name muddied then do something about it..

Maybe he is hanging around here for guidance, a lot of people on here were advocating it before it was actually picked.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I hope you are never my boss.
Something goes wrong and you blame the subordinates

It's sounding very much like the Richard Graham scenario here.

Its not the coach, it's the assistants that have lead to the overall decline in the standards of our team...

T

TOCC

Maybe he is hanging around here for guidance, a lot of people on here were advocating it before it was actually picked.

Perhaps a few were, but there were certainly many others, myself included who said it was a defensive liability and shouldn't be used..if it was obvious to your casual armchair fan, it should have been obvious to grey and Cheika

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I completely can not fathom what has to happen with the team and on the field performance to demonstrate that Cheika is the problem - more than that Bled 1 game.

Player selection - Cheika
Coach team selection - Cheika
"Australian Way" intent - (as interpreted by)Cheika
1-4-4-1 possession strategy - Cheika
Back line out of position in attack - Cheika
necessitating the Clowning around at turnover - Cheika
Nil priority in line outs - Cheika
No warm up game - Cheika
Prioritising training performance over known game performance - Cheika
Ditching back row options limiting the squad - Cheika
Light weight back row - Cheika
Non defensive center selection - Cheika
No training on kick/kick chase - Cheika

Bernie sort of showed some middling modicum of result in attack last week. Grey is simply inheriting the out of position attack, the D is simply the result of this.

Ultimate responsibility even if he got everything right other than the game? CHEIKA.

Cheika is the man.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I hope you are never my boss.
Something goes wrong and you blame the subordinates

Sorry, but WTF?

Do you really think there is never a meeting to talk over the selections and the assistant coaches never have an opportunity to have input? and basically Cheika just picks the team and tells them to work it out?

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sorry, but WTF?

Do you really think there is never a meeting to talk over the selections and the assistant coaches never have an opportunity to have input? and basically Cheika just picks the team and tells them to work it out?

Fatprop, YES.

Does Larkham have a history of playing people out of position at the Brumbies?

Do you think Ledesma would like to sacrifice 40 kilo's of back row muscle?

The only bloke with a history of doing what the Wallabies have done this year is Nathan Grey, who turned the Tahs into a sieve.

So yes, the buck stops with the coach, and the coach allocates the bucks.