• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s the right decision. Unfortunately the selectors overplayed Moore last year when they should have spent more time brining in a new players.

I look forward to seeing Uelese, BPA, FitzPatrick, Fainga'a get their chance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It’s the right decision. Unfortunately the selectors overplayed Moore last year when they should have spent more time brining in a new players.

That’s a bloody charitable interpretation.
Moore should have been nowhere near the squad in any playing capacity - as many here said at the time.
Is Fitzpatrick test quality?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hopefully Uelese is good to go as our starter.
It’s not necessarily a bad thing but the Irish pack is pretty handy.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm picking BPA and one of Uelese / Latu, but neither of the latter pair have had much game time this season.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Can I ask (because I'm not sure) but is Uelese has been back from injury? Hasn't he been back for a few weeks now (and it was only a minor injury iirc). If he's back he hasn't taken that starting position back from Rungi, he's not even in the 23.

Like he wasn't even playing Super last year, yet somehow got selected so I have no doubt Cheika will do whatever the fuck he wants, but surely without very odd circumstances we shouldn't be picking guys who are playing from the bench?

Having said that we all know Phipps will be the reserve half back, I don't know how on earth that's justified!?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think you are fundamentally wrong here, Ta'avao is a long way better than he was at the Tahs or the Blues. Lousi similarly struggled to make any impression at the Tahs. Wether people want to say it is individual attitude or whatever, it is obvious the culture and environment at NZ teams is such that they are able to achieve their potential, if these two were the first or second such improvements we could argue they are an anomaly, but add in other players like Nadolo and it becomes undeniable.
no no... i'm right. I'm always right. If you think 'man Derpus is off the mark here' you are thinking incorrectly. Derpus is correct.

Anyways, defo their training setup produces better results. Them and the English are swimming in well developed players. Although, i don't think Nadolo is a great example. A better example would be all the better players they have.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)

Who are these "selectors" you speak of???

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was under the impression, as I'm sure many others are, that Cheika is sole selector.

It's an oft repeated statement, and I think it stems from the fact he does most of the talking around selections. I don't know if it has ever been confirmed as a fact. Happy to be corrected if it has. I would find it pretty unusual if none of the rest of the coaching team had any input.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's an oft repeated statement, and I think it stems from the fact he does most of the talking around selections. I don't know if it has ever been confirmed as a fact. Happy to be corrected if it has. I would find it pretty unusual if none of the rest of the coaching team had any input.

I think it is just on the basis that people don't like Cheika want to assume that everything that is done must be just done by him.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I would find it pretty unusual if none of the rest of the coaching team had any input.
Obviously they have input but I'd suggest, even combined, they can't trump the Head Coach.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. The buck stops with Cheik. But if that's the case then calling the assistant coaches 'selectors' is a stretch.

It's an oft repeated statement, and I think it stems from the fact he does most of the talking around selections. I don't know if it has ever been confirmed as a fact. Happy to be corrected if it has.

Closest I've seen is from here last year.

At present, the Test side is selected by head coach Michael Cheika with input from his assistant coaches Steve Larkham, Nathan Grey and Mario Ledesma. It is time Cheika was challenged on selections and that’s in no way to imply that his assistants are “yes men”.​
It may not be FACT but it was reported.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It would be pretty fucken weird if he didn't have final say on the team.
Yeah, I think the old concept of a panel of selectors has gone by the wayside in test rugby.

It perhaps holds on in cricket but that's a very different game - almost an individual sport within a team environment.