• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
based on???

vibe.png

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Im sure Grey, Larkham and the forward coach get a say, Cheika doesn't strike me as someone who doesn't take in all thoughts before making a decision. But the buck stops with him..

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^^

Yeah, whatever. Who exactly knows the real, inside realities of Wallaby selections.

Ultimately, who cares, its accumulating track-record that matters.

I'd think Cheika and his coaching group would have a late 2014-17 Wallaby w-l % now worse than Deans', would that be right ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Im sure Grey, Larkham and the forward coach get a say, Cheika doesn't strike me as someone who doesn't take in all thoughts before making a decision. But the buck stops with him..

Are there any head coaches anywhere who seem like they would act in a different way?

I can't think of any head coaches whose personality seems like they would divest their overriding selection authority and go with something they disagreed with.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You can't tell me you wouldn't have had at least Quade Cooper in the Squad last year. Who's the better option we had at fly half, Reece Hodge.

Probably, but he wouldn't have been in my matchday 23 so it wouldn't have made a whole lot of difference.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Wasn't there the situation a couple of seasons ago when K.Hunt was selected for the Wallabies and Larkham wasn't aware of the position that Cheika had picked for him? Seemed odd that the backs coach wasn't aware of who was being picked. Maybe they have external selectors like the All Blacks.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^

Yeah, whatever. Who exactly knows the real, inside realities of Wallaby selections.

Ultimately, who cares, its accumulating track-record that matters.

I'd think Cheika and his coaching group would have a late 2014-17 Wallaby w-l % now worse than Deans', would that be right ?

Cheika 2014 to 2017 = 45 tests 24 wins @ 53.33% win rate
Deans 2008 - 2003 = 74 tests 42 wins @ 56.76% win rate

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Wasn't there the situation a couple of seasons ago when K.Hunt was selected for the Wallabies and Larkham wasn't aware of the position that Cheika had picked for him? Seemed odd that the backs coach wasn't aware of who was being picked. Maybe they have external selectors like the All Blacks.

Karmichael wasn't even aware of the position he had picked him at, but nether was Larkham if I remember correctly.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Cheika 2014 to 2017 = 45 tests 24 wins @ 53.33% win rate
Deans 2008 - 2003 = 74 tests 42 wins @ 56.76% win rate

Thanks RR. [Though you are making Robbie a tad older than he is, no? ;).]

Re Chek - 2015 was his best for w-l% IIRC, and I think it's been downhill since.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
2 draws makes it 48.27%. On all the comparisons for player and coach win %s a draw counts as half a win.

Game of inches. Two more wins and Cheika would be above Deans.

One more win for McKenzie and his win percentage would have been better than both.

Clearly none of those records are great though.