• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
IS, you don’t need to pollute every thread with your concerns about the administrative issues, a lot of which I agree with. This thread is intended to discuss the players and coaches.

For the record, the Waratahs didn’t beat a team with 14 men. They beat a 15 man team who tried to gain an advantage by injuring one of our players and got caught out. The team they played the week before got away with the same tactic but should have also had a man sent off.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, you don’t need to pollute every thread with your concerns about the administrative issues, a lot of which I agree with. This thread is intended to discuss the players and coaches.

For the record, the Waratahs didn’t beat a team with 14 men. They beat a 15 man team who tried to gain an advantage by injuring one of our players and got caught out. The team they played the week before got away with the same tactic but should have also had a man sent off.
You asked a question if you don’t like the answer delete the question and I’ll delete the answer.
Edit: I deleted the answer. Clarke wasn't injured so I don't know what you're smoking but its evidently good shit and colours your glasses red, or whatever colour you fancy.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ok fair enough, mine was a bit of a tongue in cheek ‘question ‘ though.

The tactic was to try to injure one of our players, unless you can find an alternative reason to kick him in the head mid air. The fact that he failed is irrelevant.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

Honestly, it's pretty clear, the Waratahs beat a team who only had 14 men for all but 20 minuets of the game. Not saying it wasn't justified, it was. But that doesn't change the fact that they only had 14 men. In the modern game it's almost impossible for a team to win with a red card in the first half.

But, they got it done.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Honestly, it's pretty clear, the Waratahs beat a team who only had 14 men for all but 20 minuets of the game. Not saying it wasn't justified, it was. But that doesn't change the fact that they only had 14 men. In the modern game it's almost impossible for a team to win with a red card in the first half.

But, they got it done.
They did lead 8-0 at that point. I think they would have beaten the Highlanders with all 15 players. It just wouldn't have been so decisive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And please we don't want to ever pick a THP for his ability to run the ball
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that - Tupou’s name is being suggested because he is scrummaging strongly AND contributing around the field.

I have no problem with Kepu being first pick - but he is by no means a shoe in now, and certainly not until the next World Cup. Kepu has been the best of our THPs, but he has had periods of inconsistency.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I’d categorise it more as optimists and hopefuls versus pessimists and naysayers. Being in the latter category doesn’t make someone a realist. There are significant challenges ahead for the code both on and off the field and despite the hole we are currently in we are still 3/4 in the world.
Pretty spot on eh. Shit isn't great but it could be way worserer.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So isn't that the answer:

Sio Uelese Kepu

AAA PA Tupou

And either of those 6 could start/finish and not much would be lost.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Didn't he play LHP a while ago?

Also re Tupou, he could actually be our best scrummaging THP, what he gives you around the park is just a bonus. But he's like an extra no8.

Tupou has come a long way in his scrummaging but he’s not the best scrummaging Aus prop atm. Kepu is head and shoulders above the lot of the crop. The scrum will be under the pump this series and Kepu will need to draw out every bit of experience considering he has no Test Level hooker beside him.

Uelese has been out for over a month with that shoulder injury which is reportedly not good, Latu has had his first taste of Super Rugby off the bench. Just under a month left until the first test. That leaves Rangi, Fitzpatrick, Fainga'a and BPA for the starting job against the Irish. (Considering both players above don’t get enough minutes under their belts).

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Arnold missing first test.

I think Douglas has been the next best, especially as it will be a finisher role off the bench. I think he has performed better than simmons, carter and philips, though the fact he is leaving might come in to play.

Another option would be to start with

4.Rooda 5. Coleman
6. Timu 8. Poey 7. Hoops

and have 19. Hanigan 20. Timani - both can cover lock and backrow. However I think should probably see

19. Douglas 20. Hanigan/Timani

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hanigan will still be injured i'm fairly sure. Reserve backrow is going to be bloody tight unless we can get Pete Samu on the boat.

Timani is super poopoo and shouldn't be in a test side. I'd have Philip or Douglas on the bench. Maybe Hardwick as a back-up loosey.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Timani has been doing well of the bench in recent games - probs the best thing for him. Take Timu off, put Timani in - same same.

Samu would be good but NZ set to block him. I think Hardwick off the pine would be a big issue as it is most likely Timu coming off. (3 open sides, no lineout). I didn't think about Hanigans injury so would't be surprised to see Cottrell/RHP in and around the mix - though to me I will always say Higginbotham is better then Hanigan, Cottrell, Rhp.

Higs off the pine would be very useful in the face of not having Hanigan, Dempsey, Mcmahon or Samu available.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They did lead 8-0 at that point. I think they would have beaten the Highlanders with all 15 players. It just wouldn't have been so decisive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just like turning down a penalty option and then bombing a try scoring opportunity can't be said to have altered a result, there is no way of knowing how the game would have panned out had it been 15 on 15 throughout.