• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that - Tupou’s name is being suggested because he is scrummaging strongly AND contributing around the field.

I have no problem with Kepu being first pick - but he is by no means a shoe in now, and certainly not until the next World Cup. Kepu has been the best of our THPs, but he has had periods of inconsistency.

Kepu has not been at all effective in open play this year, nor most of last. Allan Ala'alatoa has had the most carries for the most territory gain of all THPs in the Supercomp apparently, over the past two years. Tupou is the best of all three whenit comes to carrying the ball. It is a three waycontest where imo Kepu is currently coming in the third place.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just like turning down a penalty option and then bombing a try scoring opportunity can't be said to have altered a result, there is no way of knowing how the game would have panned out had it been 15 on 15 throughout.

Of course no one can know for sure.

No one could have watched that game and left with the impression that it was bloody close and the Highlanders would have won if they hadn't had a player sent off. It was pretty one sided for most of the match.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kepu has not been at all effective in open play this year, nor most of last. Allan Ala'alatoa has had the most carries for the most territory gain of all THPs in the Supercomp apparently, over the past two years. Tupou is the best of all three whenit comes to carrying the ball. It is a three waycontest where imo Kepu is currently coming in the third place.
Just play AAA at LHP? better than Robertson or someone.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hanigan will still be injured i'm fairly sure. Reserve backrow is going to be bloody tight unless we can get Pete Samu on the boat.

Timani is super poopoo and shouldn't be in a test side. I'd have Philip or Douglas on the bench. Maybe Hardwick as a back-up loosey.

Hardwick is backup No 7 at the Rebels. Why would he get a go before Colby? In any case, it is extremely unlikely, I'd say no chance, there will be a bench No 7 when both Hoper and Pocock are in the starting side.

For his mongrel/aggression I wouldn't be at all disappointed if Cottrell got some time kff the bench.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
One would have to think Ala'alatoa being able to play LHP even a little bit, would have to be better then calling on Robertson

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

You don't choose your THP or reserve THP for their ability to run the ball, ever.

You choose the units who are most effective at scrummaging, they are the foundation of the set piece, if the are not a pot plant that is a bonus, but the core skill has to be scrummaging

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Samu would be good but NZ set to block him. I think Hardwick off the pine would be a big issue as it is most likely Timu coming off. (3 open sides, no lineout). I didn't think about Hanigans injury so would't be surprised to see Cottrell/RHP in and around the mix - though to me I will always say Higginbotham is better then Hanigan, Cottrell, Rhp.

Should just start throwing Izzy up. He's lanky and good in the air heh.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
You don't choose your THP or reserve THP for their ability to run the ball, ever.

You choose the units who are most effective at scrummaging, they are the foundation of the set piece, if the are not a pot plant that is a bonus, but the core skill has to be scrummaging
Yeah, but that's the thing, as far as anyone can tell it's perry much a threeway tie for scrummaging, maybe Tupou is unproven at least at test level. But if we assume they are all very close we've got to consider the other factors.

But regardless the idea of picking a player only because of there scrummaging is only slightly less daft then picking a prop purely on their ability around the park. It's a total package. Even who you pick in the back row should have an impact on your front row selection. Tupou for example make Pooper some what viable.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, but that's the thing, as far as anyone can tell it's perry much a threeway tie for scrummaging, maybe Tupou is unproven at least at test level. But if we assume they are all very close we've got to consider the other factors.

But regardless the idea of picking a player only because of there scrummaging is only slightly less daft then picking a prop purely on their ability around the park. It's a total package. Even who you pick in the back row should have an impact on your front row selection. Tupou for example make Pooper some what viable.

Not at test level

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You really do have to pick the best scrummager. We need to be setting an example that the scrum is solid and erase years of doubts, from refs.And, take into account those around and more particularly behind them. Once they’re in a Wallaby squad, look how they go with the locks they will get. If it’s much the same, decide whether the all rounder is better to start or finish, bearing in mind who else will be on at different phases to balance it all. It’s a bit like a Rubik’s cube. And no, I don’t know who the best scrummager is. Nice to have it being a debate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All three THP candidates are very good players. It's probably the position where the single most deserving player will miss out on a spot in the 23 amongst the whole team.

I can't see Kepu's proven superior scrummaging ability at test level getting overlooked. Ala'alatoa was picked ahead of Kepu at the start of last test season but over time Kepu won back the job on the back of his scrummaging.

It's going to be a tight race but I see Kepu as the least likely to miss out on selection and AAA as the most likely. Tupou's form has been pretty undeniable. That is not to say for a second that AAA isn't playing well. He has played huge minutes for the Brumbies this year and done a heap of ball carrying very well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There was a stat last week saying that AAA had the most run carries/metres for a prop in Super Rugby..............

But agreed, all 3 are in good form and it will be rough or one of them to miss out.

Kepu undoubtedly will start, and we'll likely see the other two rotate off the bench.

Tupou's scrummaging may not yet translate to test level............. last year AAA was fairly dominant throughout the Soup and then struggled when given first crack for the Wobs over Kepu, but he improved as the test season went on.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It’s too bad Timani is only starting to have his best games now that he’s been underwhelming for so long. Higginbotham has simirlarly looked good in the few games he’s played this season but his track record at Test level is also underwhelming. With Valetini out I don’t see anyone else cracking the side so I reckon it’ll be Timu with Pocock and Hooper and Ned on the bench.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Kepu will start.. His the best THP I love Thor and AAA..but no doubt in my mind Kepu is a must at the moment due to experience mostly but his in good form as well..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Does Tupou play link in one of the pods if he gets on? His hands are pretty good and he’ll keep the defence interested.

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s too bad Timani is only starting to have his best games now that he’s been underwhelming for so long. Higginbotham has simirlarly looked good in the few games he’s played this season but his track record at Test level is also underwhelming. With Valetini out I don’t see anyone else cracking the side so I reckon it’ll be Timu with Pocock and Hooper and Ned on the bench.
Ned is injured and unlikely for at least the first test.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
A squad usually had 6 backrowers and 4 locks. With Hanigan potentially injured for it...slim pickings.

That leaves Timu, Poey, Hoops..........andddddd 3 more.....I'm thinking if you have to dig that deep, you can't leave Higs or Timani out. Still leaves room for another uncapped or fringe player.

I'm thinking something like this for the 33 man.

Uelese BPA Rangi
Slipper Thor Kepu Ala'alatoa Sio Robertson
Rodda Coleman Arnold Douglas
Timu Timani Higs Poey Hoops + Cottrell/RHP
Genia Phipps Powell ( I wish they would pick Gordon butttttt its Cheika)
Foley
Hodge Beale Kerevi TK
Speight Naivalu Koroibete DHP Folau + Maddocks/Naiyaravoro

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Christ, what is going on? Could it be that the one position that the Wallabies have genuine depth and talent is... tighthead prop???

What a time to be alive.
And Lock (although I am including Arnold in that.) What a time indeed.

With regards to the selection criteria for THPs - sorry FP, I don’t agree it is so cut and dried. THPs are picked foremost on their ability to scrummage, but if the other stuff wasn’t relevant than every team would have a 4 foot 2 160kg bloke who did not training except squads & Olympic cleans. Of course a THP who is a liability in a scrum is going to get overlooked - but so too is a lot plant who does SFA else which is way there are no such players playing super rugby.

Kepu is no Pot Plant and he was excellent around the field Saturday night and has been plenty of times before at Test Level (sorry BR - I am going respectfully disagree with you on that one - my comment was simply that Kepu has not always been consistent).

My guess is that Cheika will have all 3 pretty close. But that the unknown will be whether Tupou’s scrummaging at super level (which has been good) can be translated to test level. Cheika would most likely prefer to find that out in 25-30 minute stints when the tone of the game has been set, then in a 50-55 minute period trying to set the game up.