• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If Philips/Phillip/Phillips, fuck it, big Phil doesn't get a look-in during a Wallaby training camp in the near future I'm a poor judge of a rugby player. Cheika should get in his ear about his performance against the Tahs at AAMI four weeks ago and demand more of the same.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There’s a long line at lock. Coleman and a Rodda went well against the Irish as did Simmons. Rory Arnold should be knocking on the door as would Philip you would think.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Simmons was meh against the Irish. Did nothing good, did nothing bad, with all do respect to him we need to move on from players like this otherwise we will never win a Bledisloe or a World Cup. His continued selection reminds me of the continued selections of Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Dean Mumm (nothing against these players, age or the game moved on from them, all were great servants of the game) etc. where most people can see there is a better options behind them, but are continually persisted with. The when someone is finally given a chance they thrive and provide more impact on the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Simmons was meh against the Irish. Did nothing good, did nothing bad, with all do respect to him we need to move on from players like this otherwise we will never win a Bledisloe or a World Cup. His continued selection reminds me of the continued selections of Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Dean Mumm (nothing against these players, age or the game moved on from them, all were great servants of the game) etc. where most people can see there is a better options behind them, but are continually persisted with. The when someone is finally given a chance they thrive and provide more impact on the game.

I thought he was pretty good off the bench.

What exactly did Rodda do that was so impressive? I think he was probably the quietest of our locks.

I think Simmons is our backup lineout caller through to the RWC. If Arnold is to force his way into the side it will be at the expense of Rodda.

Coleman will start with one of Rodda and Arnold and Simmons will come off the bench.

I do think Philip is unlucky not to be there and in the mix. He's probably option number 5 or 6 right now though (depending on whether Tui plays 6 or is in the lock pecking order).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Highlight of the whole series for me, the scrum penalty in the first test, was almost entirely down Simmons and TT. It was a thing of beauty on that tighthead side of the scrum.

I reckon Phillips is not quite there scrum-wise yet. And that's a non negotiable for Cheika

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The lineout functioned quite nicely against the worlds best defensive lineout. So big tick for Coleman and Rodda there. As for what he offers is incredible work rate off the ball and his ability in the contact zone is exactly what is needed in the game of rugby in 2018. I get the lineout calling function but I believe that’s been proven to not be an issue for us anymore. Players need to be multi facet now, I just don’t believe he offers anything beyond some set piece experience. All the best second rowers now are physical players that are winning the contact zone in both attack and defense. I’m a big believer that all tight forwards need to provide a level of intimidation, opposition players need to know they are in a battle, having players that don’t exude this just feeds confidence in opposing players that they are going to dominate the contact zone. I don’t want to be the guy that bashes on Simmons as he is a solid player and put in his best for the gold jersey, but he would not come into calculations for any of the tier 1 countries in the world.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Highlight of the whole series for me, the scrum penalty in the first test, was almost entirely down Simmons and TT. It was a thing of beauty on that tighthead side of the scrum.

I reckon Phillips is not quite there scrum-wise yet. And that's a non negotiable for Cheika

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
You just have to watch QLD to understand the scrum domination had nothing to do with Simmons. TT is just a beast that any lock behind him would be sufficient. Rodda and him have been monstering teams all year if you wanna call it a combo.

The whole amazing scrummaging lock thing is so over blown these days. NSW scrum is absolute turd once their only decent tight head prop goes off. If people are pointing at a locks scrummaging ability there is an issue with what’s been offered around the park.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You just have to watch QLD to understand the scrum domination had nothing to do with Simmons. TT is just a beast that any lock behind him would be sufficient. Rodda and him have been monstering teams all year if you wanna call it a combo

This sort of position on Simmons where people refuse to accept comments from other players about how good his set piece work is (both scrum and lineout) and how well regarded he has been by a number of coaches over a long time and instead put it down to the coach being a poor selector is kind of baffling.

His general play, particularly in defence and clearing out at the breakdown is very good. He isn't as good as Coleman, Arnold of Philip as a ball runner but Rodda is not doing anything in that area either. Rodda is essentially doing the same role as Simmons in general play of making lots of tackles and hitting rucks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The locking order should be

Coleman
Rodda
Rory Arnold
Phillip
Tui (although will be the preferred 6)
Richie Arnold
Simmons/Carter (although I’d prefer Carter)
Hanigan
Enever

Exactly how I'd rate them too R3, while acknowledging that Richie Arnold has the potential to move up the ladder in time.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Simmonds, Hanigan and Phillips should be higher on that list. Maybe they could all get some cement-eating tips from Thorne.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The lineout functioned quite nicely against the worlds best defensive lineout. So big tick for Coleman and Rodda there. As for what he offers is incredible work rate off the ball and his ability in the contact zone is exactly what is needed in the game of rugby in 2018. I get the lineout calling function but I believe that’s been proven to not be an issue for us anymore. Players need to be multi facet now, I just don’t believe he offers anything beyond some set piece experience. All the best second rowers now are physical players that are winning the contact zone in both attack and defense. I’m a big believer that all tight forwards need to provide a level of intimidation, opposition players need to know they are in a battle, having players that don’t exude this just feeds confidence in opposing players that they are going to dominate the contact zone. I don’t want to be the guy that bashes on Simmons as he is a solid player and put in his best for the gold jersey, but he would not come into calculations for any of the tier 1 countries in the world.

Bravo R3. The truth of the matter is that Coleman, Rodda, Arnold x 2, Philip and Tui are all dominating players and that is exactly what is needed at test match level. Aus rugby has never been so well served for quality locks and there is no reason not to go full bore at the opposition by picking the most aggressive players available.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Obviously players and coaches of his aren’t going to bad mouth him. His defensive work is accurate but lacks impact, his clear out work his solid but definitely not a point of difference. Lineout work is very good, scrum unquantifiable and like I said earlier if this is your point of difference there is something lacking around the park. Been a lock and called a good scrummager when asked about what you offer to the team would be like a cricketer describing a team mate and what he offers as having a strong arm, beneficial to the team but once someone bats or bowls better than you, you’ll fall down the pecking order.

He’s a highly skilled lineout forward that was well worth his wallabies spot when our lineout was terrible, but now we have people that can do a job in international rugby and offer so much more.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Coleman
Rodda
Rory Arnold
Phillip
Richie Arnold
Hanigan
Enever
Id pick Jed in front of a couple of those..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Coleman
Rodda
Rory Arnold
Phillip
Richie Arnold
Hanigan
Enever
Only one noted caller out of the first 5?That's seriously why Simmons always gets picked and why no one is ever right about the locking order.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think you're going to continue to be disappointed then until after the 2019 RWC because I see Coleman and Simmons as the two locks most likely to stay in the 23 with Simmons being on the bench in most situations.

Rodda, Arnold and whoever else are fighting it out for the other locking position.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Bravo R3. The truth of the matter is that Coleman, Rodda, Arnold x 2, Philip and Tui are all dominating players and that is exactly what is needed at test match level. Aus rugby has never been so well served for quality locks and there is no reason not to go full bore at the opposition by picking the most aggressive players available.

Is Rodda a dominating player? I don't recall any dominating hits or runs from the Ireland series. To me he's more of a workhorse type, that gets through the hard yards in tight. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't call him dominant in any way.