• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
My wishlist for HC post Cheika: (not including Schmidt, Hansen, Wayne Smith, Foster, Robertson, as I don't think they're gettable)

1. Vern Cotter
2. Dave Rennie
3. Rob Baxter
4. Warren Gatland
5. Dean Richards
6. Mark McCall
7. Colin Cooper
49. Robbie Deans
50. Eddie Jones
51. Dave Wessels
52. Simon Cron
53. Jake White
79. Brad Thorn
96. Dan McKellar
115. Daryl Gibson
116. Stephen Larkham
3007. Bob Dwyer/Rod Macqueen

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Why would we want Hansen anywauy? A better proxy for his likely success here is what he did with wales, not what he has done with the ABs.

I'm incredibly wary of giving too much credit to NZ coaches. They have such unbelievable depth that the pool of players available for selection is packed with guys with almost no flaws in their game. The AB coach doesn't have to drop everything in the middle of a tournament and question why his outside backs can't draw and pass, or his flyhalf can't kick, or his hooker can't throw despite more than decade of practice. Worst case scenario is he drops a player and the replacement is scarcely inferior.

We need someone that has turned teams around, not someone that took an 85℅ team and turned them into an 88% team.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not sure how many NZers will want to coach the Wallabies given how things went with Deans. Your best bet would be for Cotter to, somehow, not be involved post-2019 who may then take it just to try prove a point to NZR, much as Deans did. But I'd consider that a remote possibility, as the Cotter/Schmidt coaching team is the most sensible choice to take over the AB's in 2020.

You can have the Cooper/Foster combo, though. Hell, we'll even throw in Aussie McLean for free.....

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Give Cron a few more years and he could be the man. Did a great job building a winning machine with Norths and turned around the Waratahs alongside Gibson. Just needs time.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Give Cron a few more years and he could be the man. Did a great job building a winning machine with Norths and turned around the Waratahs alongside Gibson. Just needs time.

Don't disagree with this - I'm just highlighting a pertinent qualifier. You could ;-) say the same of Wessels.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
And that all goes to show, we don't just need better coaching at the Wallabies, we need a coaching academy (or some such).

B

Bobby Sands

Given how well he is playing, nominated for European player of the year, he should be at least in considerations of all people who want to see Australia going well.

How useful he would have been in the past month.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think people had hoped...but had dismissed the notion. I would have him over Hanigan at this stage, but in 12 months time I don't know. Unfortunately, the older they get, the more of a gamble it is to pick them when your eyes are on a prize a year away.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We were never able to replace him but at the same time he was not able to fulfill what the Pooper needed. Maybe nobody can?
He’s a great player and will still be that 12 months from now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It has been reported Rugby Australia is encouraging Cheika to consider bringing in a former Wallabies player, such as a George Gregan or John Eales, in the form of a technical advisor. Pressed on whether he would be open to the idea, Cheika said it was the first he had heard of it.
oh boy all our problems are solved.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think people had hoped.but had dismissed the notion. I would have him over Hanigan at this stage, but in 12 months time I don't know. Unfortunately, the older they get, the more of a gamble it is to pick them when your eyes are on a prize a year away.

How about the gamble that someone like Hanigan will ever reach test match standard when he is still well short after something like ten tests and a couple of years in the Wallabies' system. I would put my money on Fardy being the lower risk despite his age and walking stick.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How about the gamble that someone like Hanigan will ever reach test match standard when he is still well short after something like ten tests and a couple of years in the Wallabies' system. I would put my money on Fardy being the lower risk despite his age and walking stick.
Hanigan has been much better than he was last year. Hard to tell whether he's at Wallabies level yet as hes barely had any game time at test level.

Bringing Fardy back is a band aid covering up an axe wound.