• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
And if your auntie had balls she would be your uncle.

A bit of perspective would be a good thing. For starters, rugby in Australia had a huge kick along when (a) the game went professional (b) the super league war erupted (c) we had a very successful national side during the nineties and (d) O'Neill pilfered sole ownership for Australia of the 2003 RWC.

So the money in the bank was partly O'Neill's doing. Does he get credit for that?

Players like Tuqiri and Sailor made than paid for themselves. You only have to look at the dive in Waratahs' attendances when Tuqiri was axed - he was a huge drawcard, especially amongst the kids.

The NRL was always going to recover. Unfortunately, our game went backwards as a spectacle. The 2007 RWC was a benchmark in boring play.

O'Neill did his best to update the rules. Do you give him any credit for the "Stellenbosch Project"?

The game today in Australia is where it is for a myriad reasons. Any fair-minded observer would accept that we are up against two enormously strong and deeply rooted competitors.. Both of them have total control of their rule-books.

Unlike us. Our game us ruled by the old and young fogeys of the Northern Hemisphere.

That is not O'Neill's fault.
We are talking rugby here buddy . Keep my auntie and her balls out of it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The only way I want to see TK not at 13 is if the injury list at 12 reaches crisis point or if he's injured. He's done enough to be selected for the first test at outside centre.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SvT 2.JPG
SvT.JPG

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't fathom people suggesting anybody at 13 except Kuridrani. One of our best for the last two or three international seasons, the deserved incumbent.

Folau at fullback. If it ain't broke..

I think the second ball player decision will decide a lot of things. Because there will be one

So will it be a 12 or someone like Hunt from 15

Phipps
Foley
Horne
Kerevi
Folau
Another Winger
Hunt

or

Phipps
Foley
Horne
Lilo
Kuridrani
Another Winger
Folau

seem to be the two options this week

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I wouldn't play Folau at 13, but I'd certainly think about playing him on the wing if we are shortly genuine options. It's probably a good time for Cheika to start developing some options at 15 ahead of TRC given that Beale is out of the picture. Both HP or Hunt and have the potential to be test 15s. I'd probably start with Hunt if he is fit.

I like the idea of a Kerevi / Kuridrani combo in the centres, with Lilo on the bench, but wouldn't have a problem if you went the reverse with Kerevi on the bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Phipps
Foley
Horne
Lilo
Kuridrani
Another Winger
Folau

seem to be the two options this week

I'd bet my house this will be the starting line-up. Unless more injuries occur.

We may see some changes once the reserves come on, possibly hunt, Kerevi etc. which may dictate changes come the Rugby Championship depending on the success and/or failure.

But for me, its pretty easy to predict the line up.

Phipps
Foley
Horne
Lilo
Kuridrani
Another Winger
Folau

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
On the numbers you'd go with Kerevi over TK (thanks for that Reg), but I don't believe you throw out the incumbent easily. I don't have much doubt that we'll see Samu in gold this year, but TK I think has earned the right to play there first up.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
On the numbers you'd go with Kerevi over TK (thanks for that Reg), but I don't believe you throw out the incumbent easily. I don't have much doubt that we'll see Samu in gold this year, but TK I think has earned the right to play there first up.

Agreed. They also play for teams with completely different playing styles and backline make-ups. At the Reds, there is a requirement for Kerevi to be creative and to take the opposition on, at the Brumbies (when To'omua is fit) TK is there to bend the line, make his tackles, occasionally slip into a whole (or force the over-committal of the oppositon and then release the playmaking backs). Very simplistic assessment, but you get my drift

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I wouldn't play Folau at 13, but I'd certainly think about playing him on the wing if we are shortly genuine options. It's probably a good time for Cheika to start developing some options at 15 ahead of TRC given that Beale is out of the picture. Both HP or Hunt and have the potential to be test 15s. I'd probably start with Hunt if he is fit.

I like the idea of a Kerevi / Kuridrani combo in the centres, with Lilo on the bench, but wouldn't have a problem if you went the reverse with Kerevi on the bench.
What's the chance Hunt is still playing rugby in Australia in 2018?