• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallaby 12 Conundrum

Who do you think should be the Wallaby 12?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

If somebody does something worth promotion to the Wallabies let's discuss them. But discussing players on the basis that our best credentialed option has to be dropped is pointless. If nobody is better he has to be retained.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm only floating a "what-if" scenario.

At no point am I advocating any player to replace To'omua right now, however I am not adverse to trialling a player or two in his position on the EOYT, just in case he (or even his back-up) goes down injured between now and RWC15.

T

Train Without a Station

A lot of people are. Mentioned heavily in the match thread too.

I find it interesting that 2 people have voted for Beale who was heavily implicated in us losing that match, and Godwin who in 2014 essentially showed us he could tackle, and nothing else.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
A lot of people are. Mentioned heavily in the match thread too.

I find it interesting that 2 people have voted for Beale who was heavily implicated in us losing that match, and Godwin who in 2014 essentially showed us he could tackle, and nothing else.
It's funny how you say that in 2014 Godwin showed he could tackle and nothing else.

Ppl say that the reason Hodgo made so many tackle and pilfers this year was because that is the way the force play with low possession relying on their defence to win matches.

Wouldn't this game plan then also hinder the way Godwin attacked? We saw in 2013 that he can be a top class attacking weapon and in 2014 he showed he is a rock in defence with a tackle completion North of 90%.

I watched him yesterday and though you could say I'm a little bias and that is defiantly not test level I can say he did a hell of a lot more than just tackle, just ask Jim Stewart.

T

Train Without a Station

Wouldn't this game plan then also hinder the way Godwin attacked? We saw in 2013 that he can be a top class attacking weapon and in 2014 he showed he is a rock in defence with a tackle completion North of 90%.

I'm not saying it didn't hinder his attack. But when you are an uncapped player in your second year of Super Rugby you need to put in performances to stake a claim and prove you would be able to perform at a higher level.

Did he stake a claim in 2014? No. Did he prove in 2014 that he can be an attacking threat at a higher level? No.

If bloke's started getting thrown test debuts for the Wallabies, based on a great season 2 years ago, that will just about fucking do me.

As an uncapped player Godwin has zero runs on the board. If he wants to get picked he needs to change that.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

I'm not saying it didn't hinder his attack. But when you are an uncapped player in your second year of Super Rugby you need to put in performances to stake a claim and prove you would be able to perform at a higher level.

Did he stake a claim in 2014? No. Did he prove in 2014 that he can be an attacking threat at a higher level? No.

If bloke's started getting thrown test debuts for the Wallabies, based on a great season 2 years ago, that will just about fucking do me.

As an uncapped player Godwin has zero runs on the board. If he wants to get picked he needs to change that.
So that second last paragraph would cover Jake Schatz?

T

Train Without a Station

If we have an injury or two then surely Godwin is an option.

To discuss him as a first choice option (which is the premise of this thread) is foolish though.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
godwin hasn't played a decent game this year, why is he in contention?

I would argue that tooth and nail. How many Force games did you watch?

Sooner or later Godwin will play a game at 12 for the Wallabies and I will eat my hat if you guys aren't on the bandwagon by the end of the game.

I still wouldn't play him ahead of To'omua. To'omua is awesome. But I would definitely have him next in line. Perhaps behind Tapuai if Tapuai can get back to some of the form we have seen from him in the past.

T

Train Without a Station

The disappearance of Tapuai's form is one of life's great mysteries. We can blame Graham on playing him at 13 in 2014, but whose fault was it in 2013?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would argue that tooth and nail. How many Force games did you watch?

Most, if not all

Look if he he was in 2013 form, I could see the point, but this year he defended well but he was just mediocre in attack

Tapuai has been average as well

Beale can't tackle

Lilo hasn't played a decent game this season either

Horne has played their sort of all season

But on actual form with a 12 on his back? Inman

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
haha. I like that Taps and Inman are on this list but Lilo isn't....?!

really it is so easy to forget that Lilo had a few pearlers for the wallabies last year at 12 before injuries effected his form. He certainly wasn't great during Super Season (still trying to discover some form after time on the sideline) but I'd certainly be prepared to give him another shot starting at 12 before I'd start Beale at 12.

T

Train Without a Station

No he didn't.

He was completely indifferent at 12 for the Wallabies. He was picked in 2013 on 2012 form.

Status
Not open for further replies.