• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
If I recall correctly, the arguements being put forward by a large number on this thread are the same as was being put forward by the AFL people not so long ago.

I would prefer to see whatever money he is being paid used to develop our up and coming players.

The amount of money paid to league converts over the last ten years and their actual success rate and longevity is, in my opinion, abysmal.

And it's a one year contract, the same amount of time that QC (Quade Cooper) has been crucified (somewhat justifiably) for.

The players we have currently are worth developing, not another "HE COULD BE SO FUCKING GOOD!".

Absolute waste of money.

Another distraction.

Another lets try to mould our team around a high priced import.

Another lets spend an inordinate amount of time trying to teach someone how to play rugby instead of focussing on the brilliant people we have.

For twelve months?

Yep, we have our priorities right.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
If I recall correctly, the arguements being put forward by a large number on this thread are the same as was being put forward by the AFL people not so long ago.

I would prefer to see whatever money he is being paid used to develop our up and coming players.

The amount of money paid to league converts over the last ten years and their actual success rate and longevity is, in my opinion, abysmal.

And it's a one year contract, the same amount of time that QC (Quade Cooper) has been crucified (somewhat justifiably) for.

The players we have currently are worth developing, not another "HE COULD BE SO FUCKING GOOD!".

Absolute waste of money.

Another distraction.

Another lets spend an inordinate amount of time trying to teach someone how to play rugby instead of focussing on the brilliant people we have.

For twelve months?

Hold the phone.
You may be proved right or perhaps terribly wrong.
Consider current circumstances;
The Waratahs and Wallaby back lines seem incapable of penetrating defences.
We have a bunch of Oompa-Loompa's for backs in these teams.
The guy 'can play' and he's a massive unit with pace.
He has grown up around and has played rugby union previously.
Only time will tell.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The amount of vitriol directed at Folau from the leaguies is bemusing. Not welcome back etc etc. Some people should know better. It reminds me of when SBW left the Doggies. Now that he is back, pretty much welcomed home. What are they going to say if Folau returns in 2014?

Now that he is with the Tahs, I look forward to seeing what he can add. Coach Chieka thinks he will add value so I hope he is correct.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He's only 23 and still developing as a player, slightly different from Lote and Wendell who were older and both were large 'battering ram" style wingers. Folau strikes me has being much more athletic and skilful.

As first priority rugby, like all sports, must develop its own talent. This doesn't mean that we should ignore talented young men who for whatever reason are playing another game. Not all will be successful, but it gets down to making the correct judgement of the players ability, skill and potential and whether or not they have the right attitude to change games.

League have raided rugby talent for decades. They picked the ones they thought would make it, coached them and most of them made it. What they didn't do was recruit players for 'marketing' purposes, which was the crucial mistake with the Lote and Wendell signings.

But, no-one who is recruited from anywhere or another code is "taking someone else's place." Positions in teams are on merit, if a player comes from league to rugby (or vice versa) they should only be picked if they are better. I'd bet that Michael Cheika will be focussed on winning and Folau will only be picked if he's good enough.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hold the phone.
You may be proved right or perhaps terribly wrong.
Consider current circumstances;
The Waratahs and Wallaby back lines seem incapable of penetrating defences.
We have a bunch of Oompa-Loompa's for backs in these teams.
The guy 'can play' and he's a massive unit with pace.
He has grown up around and has played rugby union previously.
Only time will tell.

The Wobs had in ineffectual coach that picked people out of position or persevered with favourites, a game plan not suited to his players and at best a hope that the guys on the field had the guts to achieve despite his coaching.

For you to state that the likes of Digby, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), KC, and all the rest are Oompa-Loompa's is pretty insulting.

These are world class players handed a shit sandwich to play with.

If you think that buying a "star" is going to turn around the Tahs or the Wobs then you are sadly mistaken.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
For you to state that the likes of Digby, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), KC, and all the rest are Oompa-Loompa's is pretty insulting.

As opposed to you labeling Folou as an "Absolute waste of money", and "Another distraction"?

He's a freakish athlete. It's in both his and the Tahs/ARU interests to sign a 1 year contract to see if he sinks or swims; and for $250k he is taking a huge pay cut and it's a steal for the Tahs. It's a great signing, could even make watching the Tahs attack next year a little more enjoyable from recent years and put some bums back on seats.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Was surprised when i heard that figure, worth the risk if it's true. Hopefully a sign that he intends to make a serious attempt at the game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The amount of vitriol directed at Folau from the leaguies is bemusing. Not welcome back etc etc. Some people should know better. It reminds me of when SBW left the Doggies. Now that he is back, pretty much welcomed home. What are they going to say if Folau returns in 2014?

Now that he is with the Tahs, I look forward to seeing what he can add. Coach Chieka thinks he will add value so I hope he is correct.

Lots of vitriol from rugby folk as well - not sure why. Surely in a free country a person has the right to change sports without having to go through some sort of inquisition. I'd have thought that encouraging talented young sportsmen to give rugby a go would be a good thing. If anyone thinks we have too much talent, they must have been watching different super rugby and tests to the ones I saw this year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Given his profile and remembering unlike most Rugby players of similar fame he does not get an ARU top up, is $350k that much?

It'd probably put him in the Top 10 best played rugby players in the country but he's not dwarfing anyone.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

He was the single highest paid AFL player if I'm not mistaken, in rugby he'd probably factor somewhere in the top 5-10% bracket.

In the end whilst you can debate this is right or wrong we haven't gone out as a national union and broken the bank balance (as was done in the past).

The NSW Waratahs have sorted this out and accordingly been backed by the ARU.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)

Absolute waste of money.

Another distraction.

For twelve months?

I would have said their success rate was pretty good seeing they all played for the Wallabies and were effective..mind you having played junior league in the country because Rugby had no team maybe I've shaken the chip off...guess if Slater and Inglis want a go we should tell them to take a hike as well......

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
He has committed to just 6 months of S15. He hasn't played rugby since he was 15. Can anyone remember him passing the ball in League- I can't. He hasn't ruled out returning to League next year or playing in Japan.

And yet when you take into account the ARU fine, he is getting the same money as Quade Cooper. Geez.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
He has committed to just 6 months of S15. He hasn't played rugby since he was 15. Can anyone remember him passing the ball in League- I can't. He hasn't ruled out returning to League next year or playing in Japan.

And yet when you take into account the ARU fine, he is getting the same money as Quade Cooper. Geez.
It's not Folau or the Tahs fault that the QRU didn't offer Quade more.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
For 250K he is worth the money! I dont see him pushing for wallabies selection anytime soon, but should be a good addition to the tahs. Not a great one like Hooper, but a good one which will add depth the outside backs. Good signing.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Perfect for the Waratahs, on the back of a dismal season there were not many other ways they were gonna get bums back on seats for the first game. If the team played well then crowds would get drawn back over the course of the season, but this is guaranteed to get an increase for the first game.

I think if Cheika can get the backline firing again, and there is obviously a lot of potential with Foley, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell et al, then he could fit in really nicely, and be the sort of finisher that Mitchell was before his injury.

And even if he does only stay for the one season then goes somewhere else, it will be up to NSWRU to sustain the interest that was brought in through Folau

Status
Not open for further replies.