• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightside05

Frank Row (1)
Wingers simply aren't just finishers these days, both of them need to be as skilled as the Full Back or you're going to have problems.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Good on Folau for trying to get maximum dollar in the bank while he is still a bankable young athlete but I can't help but think that he is quickly burning his bridges. He made a lot of money out of AFL, realised he was no good at it, and went looking for a lifeline out, which Parramatta extended to him. As far as I can see they have really gone out on a limb to get him back to league.

To publicly come out and say "it's not about the money" and then subsequently renege on the Parra deal for more money is very poor. If I were the Tah's, ARU, or any other sporting body for that matter, I would be very wary of dealing with Folau and his minders.

As for whether he'd be any good.... Tahu, Chambers et al have demonstrated that the code switch is not nearly as easy and straightforward for big athletic dudes as some might think.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Tahs... develop Folau? ... mmmmm ... only if new Waratahs coach Michael Cheika can change the Tahs culture... Tahs buying so called top shelf talent again... will they ever learn?

D

daz

Well, he is a former RL Kangaroo and Qld SOO player, so he has a fair bit of an idea. It should not be hard to re-boot his brain towards rugby.

I also kinda like the fact that he had to trim down his physique and increase his athleticism for AFL.

A bloke who can tackle, run fast and has good ball handling skills? I smell an 11 or 14 jersey-wearer in the making.

He is also a proven high ball practitioner and has had his kicking game and placement vision seriously developed. Hmm, 15 as well?

Madness to not at least have a look at him.​

Ignoring my unbelievably huge ego in quoting myself, I would like to acknowledge the Tahs official who read my original post.

Just one small detail, though: Where I said it would be "Madness to not at least have a look at him", I meant that literally. I did not mean "Throw a million dollars in supporter/sponsor-given money to have a look at him".

:cool:

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I hope that (if proven correct) this is the first of many talented young athletes, previously drawn to the more popular winter sports, coming into Union for a chance to achieve Olympic glory. As long as they achieve based on merit not reputation, I see this as nothing but a good thing for the game

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
My memory of him in league was that he was great under the high ball, but otherwise was average (not bad mind you, but hardly a game breaker of the inglis, slater, hunt, thurston, hayne variety). From a rugby POV, I think its a mistake for the tahs to sign him.

I guess the tahs are working on the logic that the money paid to Folau will pay for itself via additional media coverage and crowd interest. Sounds crazy doesnt it, but then again the tahs signed Vickerman for 2012 and he never got close to the paddock.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think it's a good move. The Tahs already have a great roster, so using the 30th spot on a high-profile League/AFL convert isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure how much he will play (I am tipping his most worn number will be 22), but I don't think it really matters.

Like it or not, converts get a lot of attention from the media and the wider sporting public.

For the first time in a while the Tahs will be able to get a bit of interest from non-rugby folk, and I reckon that's a good thing.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
If he came across at 18...5 years ago ...would everyone be whinging about the"league" import. Most kids have played both at junior age so whats the big deal. This kid CAN play and will draw kids/fans through the gates at Tah land which is more than can be said for the current crop of "superstars".
I think sometimes you guys would complain if you got a beer in the desert because it was New instead of VB. :rolleyes:

D

daz

I think sometimes you guys would complain if you got a beer in the desert because it was New instead of VB. :rolleyes:

Hmm. For the private-schooled rugby crowd, I think they would rather die of thirst than drink something so god-awfully "common".

It would be better if you compared a couple of $500+ wines (or at worst, a couple of high priced boutique brews) instead of Tooheys New and VB.

:D

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Rugby today has a high dependency on getting the ball over the advantage line.
Currently the Australian backs and Oz Super Rugby backs are very small in height and bulk and struggle to get over the advantage line in contact.
McCabe does it OK but he has a limited playing career if he continues bashing himself about at his size. Ioane does it with a combo of footwork and power but he too is easily manhandled in contact.
People bagged RL converts Sailor and Tuqiri, but boy were they effective in getting the Waratahs and Wallabies over the advantage line and their forwards on the front foot.
Folau is a massive guy who would be invaluable hitting the ball up off a No 10 in contact, as well as having better athleticism than both his fellow converts.
He can play wide, catch, pass, run and tackle too. (Notice no mention of kicking)
It was embarrassing watching the Wallabies go side to side, phase after phase looking clueless because they don't have any 'wrecking ball' runners to dent the line. The Waratahs suffered from the same problem when they become too predictable hitting it up with Carter.
Maybe the introduction of Folau will result in the Waratahs kicking it far less.
That would make Folau a godsend.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To publicly come out and say "it's not about the money" and then subsequently renege on the Parra deal for more money is very poor.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say - but Rugby Heaven is reporting that he will earn less from the Tahs contract than he would have with Parramatta.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
As long as they haven't overpaid I'm interested to see how he goes. It can't possibly be near the NRL offer can it? Or are they hiring ANZ for every training session and paying it by way for Folaus manager?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say - but Rugby Heaven is reporting that he will earn less from the Tahs contract than he would have with Parramatta.

the problem with the Eels deal was that he was deemed at 400k for the cap minimum.

they were going to pay him less, but the NRL said that was what he was really worth and they couldn't fit him in

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I wonder if they will play him at inside centre?

Only position the tahs are really weak in at the moment.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
if this actually happens, will that make him the first ever to play top level in the 3 codes. NRL, AFL, and S15?

Status
Not open for further replies.