• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If it came down to a choice between Vuna and Cummins I think I'd pick Cummins nearly every time. Just my opinion.

Sent using Tapatalk

A

AlexH

AlexH, I am going to have to ask you to back that up with some original thought. What makes Cummins an "atrocious" winger and the "worst winger since Rod Davies"?

Can you elaborate a bit, please? You don't have to like him, but at least tell us why. Otherwise, your post is swinging dangerously close to playing the man.

Poor ball control in at the contact. Poor support play. Poor running lines. Poor under the high ball.

I am basing all this on his performance during the Super Rugby season because, unfortunately, I've missed the last three internationals for various reasons. People keep telling me he went alright in the green and gold but I think he is far from the complete package. There are so many better options. Besides, if I didn't see it, it clearly didn't happen.

C

Crowd

Would of thought if Folau came to Rugby Union it would be overseas and not here.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Happy for him to do a Karmichael Hunt a quick French season, and maybe the Japan season. Let him enjoy it in a different environment.

D

daz

Poor ball control in at the contact. Poor support play. Poor running lines. Poor under the high ball.

I am basing all this on his performance during the Super Rugby season because, unfortunately, I've missed the last three internationals for various reasons. People keep telling me he went alright in the green and gold but I think he is far from the complete package. There are so many better options. Besides, if I didn't see it, it clearly didn't happen.

So, you say Cummins is the worst winger to ever pull on a Wallabies Jersey, then admit you haven't even seen him play in one?

Ok then.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
If Folau was genuine about becoming a Rugby player, we would be mad not to at least consider him. But he would need to be making the overtures.

And from what I have seen in the media, he really has no interest other than running home to what he knows.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If a high class player becomes available, then he should be looked at and if he fits into the needs of a super rugby club I don't see anything wrong with signing him.

Just because the ARU made mistakes with the league players that they signed 10 years ago doesn't mean that the concept is wrong, just that it was poorly done in the past. The wrong players were signed and probably for the wrong reasons.

Folau to me seems to be a highly talented footballer who conducts himself in a thoroughly decent manner on an off the field. We're now a professional game and we should be firstly developing our own talent but at the same time recruiting high class players where appropriate.

The people who say that we have plenty of talent and don't need more quality players have obviously been watching different Super Rugby matches and Test Matches to the ones that I've seen.

Reactions: TSR

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cummins is solid, but not spectacular.

He's a decent fill in, but obviously wouldn't be in contention if we had all our best wingers fit and available.

And yes, I'd pick him over Cooper Vuna too.

Vuna has some decent attacking qualities. But is just about awful at everything else in the game.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Maybe I'm going against the grain here but I think Folau would be an excellent union player. He is an absolutely tremendous talent in league and, while as we've seen time and time again that's not always so easily transferred across, I think in his case it's a great chance. He's a massive strong lad with great speed, great hands, unbelievable in the air and has football smarts to go with it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm with you. I can't understand why some people won't even consider it. With the incredibly small pool of rugby players that we draw on in Australia, I'd have thought it would at least be worth talking to him.

Rugby league has always had a larger talent pool than rugby and a better and wider development programme and even with that they have, and will always, look outside their game (mostly towards rugby) for top class talent. It's just a question of picking a player who, skill wise, would fit into rugby. Not all top class league players would, just as not all top class rugby players would make it in league. Over the years, league only chased the ones that they thought would make it and they got it right most of the time.

Remember in every other major rugby nation, rugby is either the main winter sport or second behind soccer. This means that most of the athletes suited to contact sport in those countries gravitate towards rugby. Not so in Australia, here we are 4th in terms of player numbers. In NSW and Qld around 80% of athletes attracted to contact sport play league as their first choice and in the other states about 90% play Aussie Rules as their first choice. If we don't look at players from those games who could make it at rugby, then we're mad.

If our coaches couldn't turn Folau into a very good rugby player, then we're in worse shape than I thought.

After all, the Swans managed to turn a Canadian rugby player into a premiership winner.

Reactions: gel

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Whether or not Folau would be a good rugby player is totally irrelevant. The ARU needs to take care of its funds, and NO rugby supporter should be interested in seeing scarce funds thrown away on a player whose first loyalty is to another code.

If Folau wants to play rugby, let him, or his manager, say so. Until then, forgeddaboutit.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ballsy statement. You have seen what our coaches can do, right?

;)
You misinterpret what I say. I was addressing those who say that Folau couldn't make it in rugby. I think our coaches could and would be able to turn him into a very good rugby player. It's those saying he couldn't make it who are underating what good coaches can do.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Whether or not Folau would be a good rugby player is totally irrelevant. The ARU needs to take care of its funds, and NO rugby supporter should be interested in seeing scarce funds thrown away on a player whose first loyalty is to another code.

If Folau wants to play rugby, let him, or his manager, say so. Until then, forgeddaboutit.

Exactly and the scarce funds need to be spent on the best available talent whether they come from another sport or not. We're in a professional environment and whether those of us who have come through the amateur era like or not there is very little loyalty in professional sport. Players will increasingly move between sports where their talents allow it in an effort to earn maximum money in what is usually a very short career.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With Super Rugby starting earlier and earlier each year, Tests in June and November, and a Coach who encourages his Men in Gold to play Club footy whenever they are not needed for national Duty, Rugby is almost a 12 month a year game.

In Mungoland, there season is much shorter, although some may claim that it is more intense.

Would a top level Mungoballer be able to manage an 11 month a year rugby season, and maintain the same intensity level as they did in Mungoland?

Status
Not open for further replies.