• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Happy to see him playing rugby and with the top 14 on fox nowadays I hope to catch a few of his games. Still don't rate him in the same class as inglis, slater, hunt, but a good footballer none the less.

Rumour is he is heading to Toulon. The other wingers at Toulon are Smith, Rooney and Lapeyre so he shouldn't have too much problem making the 22 and then the 15.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
On the Roar someone is saying
Clermont. The club which Melbourne Storms football manager Frank Ponissi was a director of rugby at a number of years ago
I dont know how true it is?

Would he be availiable for the Lions tour? Will he play for Samoa?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
On the Roar someone is saying
I dont know how true it is?

Would he be availiable for the Lions tour? Will he play for Samoa?

Think he might be of tongan decent not samoan.

If he is signed in france it will probably be as a tongan as islanders don't count as foreigners. But I doubt he'll play for tonga this far out from a WC as he could be a wallaby if he wants.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Think he might be of tongan decent not samoan.

If he is signed in france it will probably be as a tongan as islanders don't count as foreigners. But I doubt he'll play for tonga this far out from a WC as he could be a wallaby if he wants.
Born in Minto, NSW to Tongan parents.

Wonder if he would be eligible to be counted as a Tongan? He might have bothered to get a Tongan passport, I doubt he would have needed one until now.

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
Rumour is he is heading to Toulon. The other wingers at Toulon are Smith, Rooney and Lapeyre so he shouldn't have too much problem making the 22 and then the 15.
Plus french internationals Alexis Palisson, Vincent Martin and All Black Rudi Wulf... And Delon Armitage to complete the back three positions.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Interesting.

The Weekend Australian learned yesterday that Folau's management had approached the Queensland Reds to see if there were any opportunities in rugby well before he had negotiated his release from the AFL.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-folaus-betrayal/story-fnca0von-1226527785269

However it appears there weren't opportunities and he's heading overseas. If he was in Tasmania when that was announced technically Queensland is overseas.

Didn't the Blues and Chiefs express an interest in him?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is the suggestion that the Reds couldn't afford Folou because they may have to find more money to keep QC (Quade Cooper) in order to cover the amount formerly provided as part of his ARU top up contract?

T

TOCC

The likely scenario is he will play a season of rugby union overseas somewhere and start negotiating with NRL clubs for 2014 when they have more room to work with under their salary caps.

Rugby Union clubs in Australia won't offer what he can command from the NRL, his salary is reported as $400'000 and the ARLC won't let a club sign him for any less, even with a good season of rugby in France or England, no Super Rugby club will offer him that much unless its through third-party deals.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not only that but it's a gamble, he's not worth as much to rugby and he is the NRL because we don't know how good he is in rugby.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
looks like a french club has hooked him... it makes sense the guy needs to get away from OZ sport for a year or 2... He'll do fine in rugby...

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The likely scenario is he will play a season of rugby union overseas somewhere and start negotiating with NRL clubs for 2014 when they have more room to work with under their salary caps.

Rugby Union clubs in Australia won't offer what he can command from the NRL, his salary is reported as $400'000 and the ARLC won't let a club sign him for any less, even with a good season of rugby in France or England, no Super Rugby club will offer him that much unless its through third-party deals.
I think he would be worth $400k in union, but this was his base value in League, he would get paid more a few years down the track. I think he is well worht $400k for the Reds, if only for his crowd pulling potential. He might attract more people to the game out of interest and if QC (Quade Cooper) does not play then the Reds crowds will possibly go down.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Would have loved to have seen Genia/Cooper feeding the ball to Falou on the wing at the Reds (except when playing the Tahs). Quade would have found his cross field kick soul mates. Diggers on one wing, Folau on the other.

T

TOCC

I think he would be worth $400k in union, but this was his base value in League, he would get paid more a few years down the track. I think he is well worht $400k for the Reds, if only for his crowd pulling potential. He might attract more people to the game out of interest and if QC (Quade Cooper) does not play then the Reds crowds will possibly go down.

Genia and QC (Quade Cooper) agreed to contracts worth around $400k from the Reds.... Folau is not in the same league... Crowd pulling potential? I think he has a bigger profile in Sydney then he does in Brisbane these days.

Yes his overall contract including the ARU top-up may equal that, but he is an unknown quantity in rugby union and given the current financial state and the ARU aim of reducing contracts, he will never be offered that much in Australian Rugby.

The ARU would have to have rocks in their head to throw money at Folau whilst someone like Quade slipped through their fingers.

T

tranquility

Happy to see him playing rugby and with the top 14 on fox nowadays I hope to catch a few of his games. Still don't rate him in the same class as inglis, slater, hunt, but a good footballer none the less.

Maybe not Inglis or Slater. But he was definitely in the same category as Hunt, and probably a better athlete. He could be an incredible Rugby player. I hope he genuinely digs his heels in and trys to pick up the game over a 4-5 year period.

T

TOCC

Maybe not Inglis or Slater. But he was definitely in the same category as Hunt, and probably a better athlete. He could be an incredible Rugby player. I hope he genuinely digs his heels in and trys to pick up the game over a 4-5 year period.

I would take Karmicahel over Israel any day of the week.. Israel is physically more imposing, but in terms of ability and understanding the game Karmicahel has always surpassed Israel.

Israel is a lesser version of SBW

T

tranquility

Except that he is an outside back and SBW is an inside back???

Karmichael would be great due to his backround playing rugby at Churchie. Having watched all of the players to come through the school recently including Aidan Toua - Karmichael was the best of the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.