• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 5 - Springboks vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I just think CJ needs game time. He is our best bench prop and the only guy we have who covers both sides. Move him to tighthead in the second half and bring the Beast on at LH.

M

Mica

No O Franks, Thorn, Read or McCaw. That's a shit load of oomph missing from the boys up front and then there is no Carter to manage the ball emerging from a weakened platform, and no Conrad Smith to marshall the defense. On top of that, we can expect the selection of Woodcock, Dagg, Kahui and Toeava in their first big game coming back from injury.

I just can't see the ABs winning this game on the road; they're not playing Scotland here. Think Henry might be missing an opportunity to put the Boks and their confidence way down. It's not as if the likes of McCaw really needs the additional week of rest.

Can't see SA winning it. I think they will struggle to score tries against this side as they did this morning. Defensively NZ are very good - well organised, they minimise errors and they know how to play to what the ref is reffing (this is not a jibe). :)

I think the biggest concern for NZ is that there isn't anyone near Carter at first five in case he gets injured. Apart from that NZ have depth all over the park. Something that the Wallabies don't unfortunately.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Go the Springboks.

If PDV has a brain he would drop Smit now & start with BDP.

If I was in charge of the Boks I'd start BDP & Lambie & drop Smit & Fat Franny.

Would also be hoping that Brussow can go at least 60-65 minutes as he needs to be out there as long as possible.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
http://www.worldcupweb.com/rugby/news/viewarticle.asp?id=31523

Smit and Steyn in doubt for Boks World Cup

Springbok captain John Smit and fullback Frans Steyn are in doubt for the world cup after they were both injured in South Africa's 9-14 loss to Australia in the TriNations.

The Springboks fielded their full strength team for the first time in almost two years but suffered a home loss taking them to a record of played three and lost three in the TriNations.

Fullback Frans Steyn kicked the first points of the match with a penalty but was forced from the field early in the second half with what appeared to be a pulled hamstring.

Springbok captain John Smit who's move in the match from Hooker to Tighthead prop proved again to be a failure injured ligaments in his arm and is also in doubt for the world cup.

An early but unconfirmed medical report said that Smit had torn ligaments in his arm.

Smit's loss could be a blessing with an opportunity for Bismarck to start, but I think his leadership will be sorely missed. Steyn's injury is less serious from what I've read elsewhere. Aplon or Lambie to #15? Or will PvD continue his Morne to fullback experiment from NZ?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Steyn is really no big loss, I think. He looked poorly conditioned and really contributed very little. Shame to see such a talented footballer being poorly guided in his decision making - going to fat in France can't be the best option for a young star like him.
Smit is only a loss in his captaincy (which is good). However, he is not so good a captain to go even close to covering his playing deficiency.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The bok players who have spent time in europe (F Steyn, James, JdV) all looked short of a gallop and out of form to me.

H

hobo

like qwerty i reckon that $8 for aussie tri nations was amazing value.
if there was a game in which slade was going to get injured and make the kiwis pay for not putting cruden in their squad this is it.
saffas to win this one by 13+

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Coaches have to try something.
3. Bj Botha
2. Bismarck - Assuming Smit is gone
1. CJ - need game time

Who the hell knows though?

Does your front-row come under the 'try something' banner? I'm really interested to know how the Springbok's 1-2-3 combination will look during the World Cup. I'd personally go 1. Mtawarira 2. du Plessis 3. du Plessis with Smit and CJ on the bench, but there's a plethora of combinations so you never know...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Steyn is really no big loss, I think. He looked poorly conditioned and really contributed very little. Shame to see such a talented footballer being poorly guided in his decision making - going to fat in France can't be the best option for a young star like him.
Smit is only a loss in his captaincy (which is good). However, he is not so good a captain to go even close to covering his playing deficiency.

Add to that the best attempted Mullet in World Rugby.

I think the Boks will be better for the loss of Smit, which is a tough one because he has been a truely great player in years past, a great statesman and representative of the game. A pity he could not see out his international career as he desired and the coach was happy to let him. Who will be reserve hooker now, I assume Chilli Boy with Strauss a very outside chance.

I think Lambie would add a lot to the Boks at 15 but feel that Aplon is a better starter because Lambie is better bench cover.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Swarley:

Re best props: Beast and Jannie to start with CJ on bench. I thought before Jannie went off our scrum was going nicely. Cj look great on the EOYT last year and was playing well for the Stormers until he got injured. Wasnlt half bad against the ABs when he came on.

The fact that Smit was moved to 3 just shows that you canlt take anything PdV says serious after he emphatically stated that the Smit TH playing days were over. He tells him to lose weight, which he does and then they move him back to 3. Can't blame Smit for the scrum goign backwards. Blame the coaches for thinking he can just willy nilly play there again, especially with Steenkamp at 1, who has not played in a year, not even club rugby. Absolutely insane.

Smit's injury:

It is real according to the SA papers and he will have scans tomorrow. I don't think his leadership is that important. It has gone backwards with his form. I don't wish any bad on him but canlt help think it will be karma. Pro sprts people need to know when to pack it in and Smit is a classic case of not listening to your body. We badly need Bismarck and Chilliboy as our hookers.

Re F Steyn:

Horrible. Get him off. You are a pro sportsman who is getting paid a load of cash and you can't look after yourself? Frans Steyn is a disgrace.

I am worried about Aplon at 15 though. He was poor when he came on. I have no idea why they can't just back Lambie. Kirchner has been discarded too early for mine.

Back row:

In retrospect I don't know how we could have expected to win with that back row.

Danie Rossouw came off a drip from gastro on Thursday night and had not trained all week. It showed. He was hands on knees at every stoppage from the word go. Another example of PdV just hoping his first choice players can just pull off miracles. He should not have started,

Deysel is not a big game player. Brussow only had 40 mins in him.

Game like these show the MASSIVE value of Schalk Burger. Get better son.

Sounds like Juan Smith may not make it in time but I suspect they will pick him regardless and hope for miracles.

Thank god Alberts will be fit but he is just off injury as well.

These are all pretty big issues. We're pretty fucked I reckon.

I'm getting fed up watching this circus and actually regret having already paid for my match and plane tickets. In fact I have all but given up to be frank.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Considering Aus played like the B team and the Springboks like the C team, and the game like bag of mixed jelly beans, the All Blacks touring party are among friends.

Following Henry selection rationale, Guildford, Dagg, SBW will be dropped from backs regardless of the outcome of the game and Toeava, who essentially is a better player than these 3 players combined, will be selected along with Gear, Sivivatu, Jane, Kahui. Experience is key.

Of the forwards, Crockett, BFranks, Messam, Vito will go back to the farm and attend to the sheep.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I couldn't believe it when the commentators said Frans Steyn was only 24. I forgot how young he was and his current look aint helping.

S

Stickybeak

Considering Aus played like the B team and the Springboks like the C team, and the game like bag of mixed jelly beans, the All Blacks touring party are among friends.

Following Henry selection rationale, Guildford, Dagg, SBW will be dropped from backs regardless of the outcome of the game and Toeava, who essentially is a better player than these 3 players combined, will be selected along with Gear, Sivivatu, Jane, Kahui. Experience is key.

Of the forwards, Crockett, BFranks, Messam, Vito will go back to the farm and attend to the sheep.

do you mean SBW out of RWC squad?

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Yes opinion is building that SBW is taking a position amongst players who could play atleast another if required and at test standard. He is the least experienced rugby player and doesnt offer much in utility value on bench. While he could be the difference in a tight game, he hasn't yet shown this and maybe questioned to be called upon if such an occasion arises. Furthermore, the rest of his comrades have been selected for exactly that job description, "the difference".

Looking at the Wallabies equivalent, even McCabe can play wing if call upon, because thats what he is as opposed to Ant Fainga'a. But then again Ant Fainga'a has a better passing game, even perhaps a kicking game. Either way both will make way for Barnes who plays, 10, 12 at test level with ample caps and wins also with a proficiency at 15.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

Ben Franks will NOT be dropped. He covers both sides of the scrum - well.
SBW not being selected. I agree if he produces nothing in the next game or two - no versatility.

S

Stickybeak

Yes opinion is building that SBW is taking a position amongst players who could play atleast another if required and at test standard. He is the least experienced rugby player and doesnt offer much in utility value on bench. While he could be the difference in a tight game, he hasn't yet shown this and maybe questioned to be called upon if such an occasion arises. Furthermore, the rest of his comrades have been selected for exactly that job description, "the difference".

Looking at the Wallabies equivalent, even McCabe can play wing if call upon, because thats what he is as opposed to Ant Fainga'a. But then again Ant Fainga'a has a better passing game, even perhaps a kicking game. Either way both will make way for Barnes who plays, 10, 12 at test level with ample caps and wins also with a proficiency at 15.

Hope you're right I have a bet placed 12 months ago that he would not make the squad with a blok that loves league and think union is a joke. Says Dean Young should be the wallabies half back.....seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.