• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 5 - Springboks vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Feel much more comfortable this week compare to last week. The Boks will start with Battleship and Schalk will get some gametime. Would love to see those two starting with Brussouw in 6.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't. I think we will lose again.

We have no attacking shape. There is no structure to our play. Half our guys look unfit and the other half out of form.

We have lost 9 of 11 against the Wobs and ABs and what could possibly happen in a week to suddenly make us score tries and play wiht some sort of plan? Fuck all.

I will be happy if we win, but there are a lot of AB players playing for a WC spot.

We will prpb lead by 7 and then Snor will fucking sub everybody and we'll lose. What else do you expect?

C

chriscullen

It's a hard game for Sth Africa as they really need a win or you can almost write them off for the world cup. NZ TAB can't split the two sides and it's a real toss of the coin as to whether the All Blacks combinations can gel and whether the Boks can regroup and get a win.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Springboks – 15 Pat Lambie, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Gurthro Steenkamp.
Subs: 16 John Smit, 17 Beast Mtawarira, 18 CJ van der Linde, 19 Danie Rossouw, 20 Ashley Johnson, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Butch James.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Steemkamp should not even be in the squad. It's too late. He is fat and unfit. No chance to get him in shape.

James on the bench? Why? Lambie covers 10. No Aplon. It's like a fucking lucky dip.

AB's by 10. We're fucked. We just don't want to admit it.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Bar Juan and Schalk that is probably PdV best 15 imo. Loose this and we have less than FAll chance of winning the big one.

Although I keep telling myself this is only the second international game for the bulk of these player this year..

Paarl have anyone said that Juan will go to the WC?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can people seriously stop asking what the permutations are?

It's not hard to lookup that each team is on 9 points and therefore the winner will only be decided in Brisbane.

So if New Zealnd win with a bonus point & the score is 33-32 (so add 1 to the NZ for & against) we would still have to beat NZ by 38 points in Brisbane to claim the Tri-nations & that's not gonna happen.

Best outcome is that SA win by whatever margin & then it's winner takes all in Brisbane.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That's probably the right team for the Boks I think. If Schalk and Juan aren't fit, I reckon it's a fair enough call by PdV.

Juan will play CC this weekend. Think Schalk is not 100% and the reason why Ashley was called in. Just hope they do the right thing and let the lot not injured or playing get some CC action this weekend.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So if New Zealnd win with a bonus point & the score is 33-32 (so add 1 to the NZ for & against) we would still have to beat NZ by 38 points in Brisbane to claim the Tri-nations & that's not gonna happen.

Best outcome is that SA win by whatever margin & then it's winner takes all in Brisbane.
Dont worry Boet, if we can stop SBW the test is ours to lose.:lmao:

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Why M. Steyn at 10? His form has been poor to average at best all year and James didn't do much wrong last week even if he didn't do a lot right. James a damn sight better defender than Steyn and Bok will need that against this AB side looking to get the last spots for the RWC.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I reckon that is a much better looking side than the one that played us. I fear Lambie, BdP and Alberts far more than I fear Steyn, Smit and Rossouw.

The best aspect of South African rugby remains their uncanny ability to self sabotage. Pretty please, keep Gio Aplon in the side ! And the more Jon Smit (especially at tighthead), the better ! Seriously !!

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Springboks – 15 Pat Lambie, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Gurthro Steenkamp.
Subs: 16 John Smit, 17 Beast Mtawarira, 18 CJ van der Linde, 19 Danie Rossouw, 20 Ashley Johnson, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Butch James.

That team looks more solid than last week. Good to see Lambie getting a go. SA have some solid kickers and a good line out.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sure Lampie for Steyn - nippy replace 15 fatty, Steyn for Bitch - we wont drop 9 kicking points this time and high kick and charge is always a good ploy against the All Blacks, Alberts for Danie - big improvement, Danie is not a flanker, he is a lock, Battleship for Smit - huge improvement, Guthro for Beast - the only one that stinks. Our backline will play better but we need to beat them in the pack. Brussouw in tandem with Battleship should be enough at the breakdowns, add a smoother backline and we sure as hell look much better against an All Black team with new combos this time.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

The key problems last week for me were:
  1. There was just no structure or flair to the attack. Its not 2007, you can't win with the 2007 gameplan any more. The game against a Wallaby team only firing on three cylinders showed the Boks have no penetration.
  2. John Smit can't play 3. Its like the old England cricket teams who chose a captain for his leadership not his ability to play. Australia chose the best team first and then picked a captain. Only once in 30 years was this successful for England (then we followed the same strategy last ashes series and it didn't work for us either).
  3. Some of the Boks players did just not look fit.
Its very close to the World Cup to make major changes, but repeating what didn't work last week is a recipe for failure. Looking at that team Lambie should be at 10 with Butch on the bench. He is the only 10 in SA with enough creativity. JdV has lost all creativity and speed. The Bok centres had no penetration up against two good tacklers. JdJ is the best replacement you've got given that the really good young centres were not given the chance in the Super tournament to develop. Pieterson to 15 and Aplon to the wing. At least then Pieterson might get some ball in space to run with. In the forwards, Bismark and Alberts will improve the impact this week.

Unless PdV is gradually easing John Smit out, playing him at all this week instead of Chilliboy is not giving Chilly time to prepare. Smit should only be going to the WC as cover and captain of the dirt-trackers. The best front row you have is Beast and the du Plessis brothers, with Chilly and CJ on the bench.

Steenkamp should be running 30-40km per day on a diet of lettuce leaves, not packing at THP this weekend. Johnson for Alberts after 50-60 and Roussouw only as injury cover.

Despite all my reservations, Deans has put himself in a much better position than de Villiers. At this stage you'd say SA will be lucky to make the semi-finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.