• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 5 - Springboks vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Ben Franks will NOT be dropped. He covers both sides of the scrum - well.
SBW not being selected. I agree if he produces nothing in the next game or two - no versatility.

John Afoa may pip B Franks as they cover both sides of the scrum, however John is more experienced and has better attacking skills with passing and is known to be an elusive runner. B Franks may squat 280+kgs but seems to run with that on his back. Defensively i think both are about even.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Hope you're right I have a bet placed 12 months ago that he would not make the squad with a blok that loves league and think union is a joke. Says Dean Young should be the wallabies half back.....seriously.

Surely dropping him will amount to a PR shitstorm in New Zealand? The NZRU and their sponsors would want him in the squad for wank value.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
John Afoa may pip B Franks as they cover both sides of the scrum, however John is more experienced and has better attacking skills with passing and is known to be an elusive runner. B Franks may squat 280+kgs but seems to run with that on his back. Defensively i think both are about even.

Thought Afoa is broken?

Reactions: DPK

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Steyn is really no big loss, I think. He looked poorly conditioned and really contributed very little. Shame to see such a talented footballer being poorly guided in his decision making - going to fat in France can't be the best option for a young star like him.
Smit is only a loss in his captaincy (which is good). However, he is not so good a captain to go even close to covering his playing deficiency.

Steyn strikes me has a lazy bastard who thinks natural talent will get him over the line without having to put the effort in to improve his game. He strikes me as being pea harted also. He is nothing more than a player with a big boot. If he could kick his own arse with that big boot, he might become half a decent player.

I don't rate him.

A

antipodean

Springboks very rusty, making a number of elementary errors which cost them the match. I expect they'll be much improved this weekend. They'll also benefit from selectorial issues being forced upon them; chief of which is not having to accommodate Smit in the 22.

Can the All Black forwards provide enough quality ball for the backline to score four tries? Because they're clearly better than their opposites.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I feel for John Smit, whilst he is past his prime, he is one of the few Saffa players I actually respect. That being said, Bismark du Plessis is easily in the top 2 hookers in the world, and it's a waste having him on the bench.

yeah, I always thought you picked the best 15 and then worked out who was captain

D

daz

Is Smits injury real?

I'm sure there is a fair bit of tongue planted firmly against your cheek with that comment Sully, but I wonder if this is more about face-saving than anything else.

Could it be that instead of the indignity of being dropped for the RWC, the Saffa management have given Smit a clean and decent way out? Career ending injury to a warrior captain has a better ring than being dumped before the big show.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm sure there is a fair bit of tongue planted firmly against your cheek with that comment Sully, but I wonder if this is more about face-saving than anything else.

Could it be that instead of the indignity of being dropped for the RWC, the Saffa management have given Smit a clean and decent way out? Career ending injury to a warrior captain has a better ring than being dumped before the big show.

Guess not. Smit tweeted yesterday that he is fine and SARU have made a statement to that effect.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
dont the AB's wrap up the #Ns if they win this weekend, especialy if they get a BP? What are the permutations?

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
although it's a long shot even if they win with a BP, the wallabies could technically win the 3N if we beat them in Brisbane with a BP and cover the margin. Should the ABs win though that would be a hell of a margin to make up

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can people seriously stop asking what the permutations are?

It's not hard to lookup that each team is on 9 points and therefore the winner will only be decided in Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.