• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 5 - Springboks vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
All Black squad to travel:

All Blacks: Mealamu to captain side
Breaking 11:31 AM Friday Aug 12, 2011

Blues hooker Keven Mealamu has been named as the All Blacks captain for next weekend's clash against South Africa with some of the side's biggest names to stay in New Zealand.

Regular captain Richie McCaw, first five-eighth Dan Carter, Conrad Smith, Brad Thorn, Mils Muliaina, Owen Franks, Sitiveni Sivivatu and Kieran Read will not travel.

Israel Dagg, Richard Kahui, Tony Woodcock and Isaia Toeava all return to the squad after injury layoffs.

Victor Vito also joins the squad while Tom Donnelly is an injury cover while Jarrad Hoeata has a scan on a shoulder later today.

All Blacks Coach Graham Henry said: "As with any All Blacks side, the coaches and players set high expectations and the squad which is heading to South Africa is no different."

"There is real excitement amongst the squad. We have players returning from injury who will be playing for the All Blacks for the first time this year, while others will be looking to take the opportunity to stake a further claim in the black jersey and ensure selection in the Rugby World Cup, so we will have a team which is hungry to play well."

The All Blacks squad leaves for South Africa tomorrow. Meanwhile Dagg and Zac Guildford will stay home an extra day to play for Hawke's Bay in their ITM Cup match against Bay of Plenty in Rotorua tomorrow, and travel to South Africa on Sunday morning.

The squad is:

Forwards: John Afoa, Wyatt Crockett, Ben Franks, Jarrad Hoeata, Andrew Hore, Jerome Kaino, Keven Mealamu, Liam Messam, Adam Thomson, Samuel Whitelock, Ali Williams, Tony Woodcock and Victor Vito.

Backs: Jimmy Cowan, Israel Dagg, Andy Ellis, Hosea Gear, Zac Guildford, Richard Kahui, Cory Jane, Ma'a Nonu, Colin Slade, Isaia Toeava, Piri Weepu and Sonny Bill Williams.

A

antipodean

Crockett's last chance? Sad Boric isn't fit to travel. How I'd love to see a backline of Gear, Weepu, Slade, Toeava, Kahui, Guildford, Dagg.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I wonder if Henry will come under the same criticism PdV did for not taking a 'full strength' squad. There's 9 top choice names not going there.

However, even without those guys, it's still a bloody good looking team - on paper anyways.....

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
No O Franks, Thorn, Read or McCaw. That's a shit load of oomph missing from the boys up front and then there is no Carter to manage the ball emerging from a weakened platform, and no Conrad Smith to marshall the defense. On top of that, we can expect the selection of Woodcock, Dagg, Kahui and Toeava in their first big game coming back from injury.

I just can't see the ABs winning this game on the road; they're not playing Scotland here. Think Henry might be missing an opportunity to put the Boks and their confidence way down. It's not as if the likes of McCaw really needs the additional week of rest.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I wonder if Henry will come under the same criticism PdV did for not taking a 'full strength' squad. There's 9 top choice names not going there.

However, even without those guys, it's still a bloody good looking team - on paper anyways.....

Unless Fox have it wrong, there's only a six day turn around after the SA test to the test in Brisbane. If, as I suspect, Henry thinks Australia is a more dangerous opponent at this world cup than SA and wants to establish dominance going in, then he will want his strongest possible team fit and fresh to run on in Brisbane. If so, then players like Kaino, A Williams, Nonu and Weepu are probably going to be on the bench for this one. Serves the Saffers right if they don't like watching the "B" team. It would really start tongues wagging if NZ won, what does PdV do about team selection then? All the back-up players will be throwing everything at it in order to make the 30, so its not beyond conceiving that NZ would win.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
If Boric's foot is given medical clearance, he will surely replace Hoeata in the squad for the WC.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Curious as to the lack of an out and out fetcher in that squad, or an openside at all really. Maybe they feel it's not needed against the Boks - maybe true a few years ago, but if Brussuow plays, I think it's a risk. Who will be the openside - Messam? Perhaps Thomson?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Curious as to the lack of an out and out fetcher in that squad, or an openside at all really. Maybe they feel it's not needed against the Boks - maybe true a few years ago, but if Brussuow plays, I think it's a risk. Who will be the openside - Messam? Perhaps Thomson?

I'd go with Thompson. To me Messam is more of 6 or 8. Both these guys get thru a pile of work tho.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Have to say as a Wallaby supporter I don't like the Saffa midline, don't like it at all.

If the ABs were fielding their T1 team np, but no Carter, McCaw or Smith to run the ship in the face of Du Preez, James, De Villiers and Fourie? Hmm. Lots of pressure on Slade. I rate him, but its early days in his career, be interesting to see how he goes. SBW too for that matter.

However from a RWC point of view, full points. Supporting crew get an opportunity in the cauldron, while pivotal players can't get injured and are fresh for Suncorp.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Have to say as a Wallaby supporter I don't like the Saffa midline, don't like it at all.

If the ABs were fielding their T1 team np, but no Carter, McCaw or Smith to run the ship in the face of Du Preez, James, De Villiers and Fourie? Hmm. Lots of pressure on Slade. I rate him, but its early days in his career, be interesting to see how he goes. SBW too for that matter.

However from a RWC point of view, full points. Supporting crew get an opportunity in the cauldron, while pivotal players can't get injured and are fresh for Suncorp.

I don't know if those guys will play at Suncorp....especially if they win in SA. I mean, what's the point? Bledisloe and Tri-Nations will pretty much be in the bag. If the Wallabies lose this weekend or don't get a bonus point win but the ABs do get a bonus point win....Brisbane becomes Hong Kong effectively.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seeing as NZ is resting a lot of stars, I reckon $8 for Australia to win the TNs is a fantastic bet.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
SBW will definitely start against the Boks. He's been a bit sore about bench warming & may turn his back on the NZRU at years end.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
No team has ever won the 3N & RWC in the same year. Maybe they are just throwing it away, with the ABs and Boks playing their second sides, and the Wallabies just playing like the Wallabies?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe they're trying to out-Bok the Boks by having no fetcher?

With what I said on the other thread, I don't think McCaw has been playing the fetcher role that he used to in any event. The ABs now play more a counter ruck game and with that a true fetcher isn't really needed just somebody who can take advantage of an opportunity if it presents - IMO that is Thompson in spades.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

What's a midline?

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
Crockett's last chance? Sad Boric isn't fit to travel. How I'd love to see a backline of Gear, Weepu, Slade, Toeava, Kahui, Guildford, Dagg.

The bolded are looking good to be playing the boks, swap Toeava for SBW. Kahui and Dagg came through their respective first games looking good. Hopefully the step up to international wont be too much too soon

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Coaches have to try something.

15. Lambie - Never again Steyn or Aplon.
14. JP
13. Fourie
12. Juen de Jongh (lost of man love for Jdv from PdV - must be they share a surname)
11. Habana
10. James - "Last chance saloon at the high tackling coral"
9. du Preez
8. Spies
7. Alberts
6. Brussow
5. Matfield
4. Botha
3. Bj Botha
2. Bismarck - Assuming Smit is gone
1. CJ - need game time

Who the hell knows though?