• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial: Brumbies v. Force this Friday in Darwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Force have named a 31 player squad for this match.

31-man squad: Chris Alcock*, Phoenix Battye, Corey Brown (Wider Training Group)*, Richard Brown, Nathan Charles, Sam Christie*, Angus Cottrell, Pek Cowan, Patrick Dellit, Sias Ebersohn*, Tetera Faulkner, Kyle Godwin, Jayden Hayward*, Matt Hodgson (c), Kieran Longbottom, Toby Lynn, Salesi Ma’afu, Alfie Mafi, Alby Mathewson*, Locky McCaffrey, Ben McCalman, Hugh McMeniman*, Junior Rasolea*, Mick Snowden*, Winston Stanley, Ed Stubbs*, Heath Tessmann*, Chris Tuatara-Morrison*, Will Tupou, Rory Walton*, Sam Wykes.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Brumbies have indicated they will play their best XV in the opening 40 minutes with Pocock, Moore and Rathbone amongst the starters.

In other news, the ref will be Andrew Lees.

M

Moono75

I see Salesi Manu isn't included in the squad for this trial? I'm not aware of any injury with him. I'd expect him to get a big run with the Force this year. Could be interested trial if it buckets down as usual.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I did ask the question on the force Facebook and they said that he wont travel with the team but would be available next week so not sure why he didn’t go up. there are 4 props making the trip and I’m most looking forward to seeing how Maafu goes.

He is looking like he has slimmed down ALOT if I remember right he was about 128kg when he came to the force he is now listed as 118kg. This would be his first preseason in a long time and hopefully it helps with his work rate around the park and will only do wonders with his set piece as he wont be so puffed all the time.

If he doesnt have a big year i doubt we will see him next year with Manu coming into the squad and Ollie to the EPS.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Ta, Gaffa. Was also wondering about Manu.

So this is my guesstimate side for tonight based on Foley's recorded comments. Should there be any positional swaps? Maybe Dellit gets a run at Fullback?

Possible Force Lineup

1 Pek Cowan ║ Kieran Longbottom
2 Nathan Charles ║ Heath Tessmann
3 Salesi Ma’afu ║ Tetera Faulkner
4 Sam Wykes║ Rory Walton º
5 Toby Lynn ║ Phoenix Battye
6 Hugh McMeniman ║ Richard Brown ║ Angus Cottrell
7 Matt Hodgson (c) ║ Chris Alcock
8 Ben McCalman ║ Locky McCaffrey,

9 Alby Mathewson ║ Mick Snowden º
10 Sias Ebersohn ║ Sam Christie º
11 Patrick Dellit ║ Ed Stubbs
12 Jayden Hayward ║ Kyle Godwin
13 Chris Tuatara-Morrison ║ Winston Stanley ║ Junior Rasolea
14 Alfie Mafi ║ Corey Brown
15 Will Tupou ║

º EPS

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
And similarly for the Brumbies. White is keeping his team list close to his chest but has said he'll be starting a full strength team in both trials. McCabe, Tomane, and Fainga'a are out but it looks like Rathbone might get a run at centre in the 2nd half.

Possible Brumbies Lineup (guesstimate)

1. B.Alexander ║ R.Murphy ║ R.Smith º
2. S.Moore ║ S.Siliva ║ J.Mann-Rea º
3. D.Palmer ║ S.Sio
4. S.Fardy ║ E.Oosthuizen
5. S.Carter ║ L.Power
6. B.Mowen (c) ║ P.Kimlin ║ T.Cree
7. D.Pocock ║ I.Vaea
8. F.Auelua ║ J.Smiler º

9. N.White ║ I Prior ║ M.Swanepoel º
10. M.To'omua ║ S.Windsor
11. H.Speight ║ S.van der Walt º
12. C.Leali'ifano ║ Z.Holmes
13. A.Smith ║ T.Kuridrani
14. C.Rathbone ║ T.Cox
15. J.Mogg ║ R.Coleman

º EPS

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ta, Gaffa. Was also wondering about Manu.

So this is my guesstimate side for tonight based on Foley's recorded comments. Should there be any positional swaps? Maybe Dellit gets a run at Fullback?

Possible Force Lineup

1 Pek Cowan ║ Kieran Longbottom
2 Nathan Charles ║ Heath Tessmann
3 Salesi Ma’afu ║ Tetera Faulkner
4 Sam Wykes║ Rory Walton º
5 Toby Lynn ║ Phoenix Battye
6 Hugh McMeniman ║ Richard Brown ║ Angus Cottrell
7 Matt Hodgson (c) ║ Chris Alcock
8 Ben McCalman ║ Locky McCaffrey,

9 Alby Mathewson ║ Mick Snowden º
10 Sias Ebersohn ║ Sam Christie º
11 Patrick Dellit ║ Ed Stubbs
12 Jayden Hayward ║ Kyle Godwin
13 Chris Tuatara-Morrison ║ Winston Stanley ║ Junior Rasolea
14 Alfie Mafi ║ Corey Brown
15 Will Tupou ║

º EPS
Looks about right. Stubbs has also been training at 15 so expect him to get a go there aswell

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Looks about right. Stubbs has also been training at 15 so expect him to get a go there aswell
Ah, thanks. Stubbs might prove useful at the back.

Competition for backline positions (especially in the centres) is a good problem now for the Force to have. it makes a difference.

Now, if only Force TV could set up a live web feed!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ah, thanks. Stubbs might prove useful at the back.

Competition for backline positions (especially in the centres) is a good problem now for the Force to have. it makes a difference.

Now, if only Force TV could set up a live web feed!

jump over to twf.com.au there is a group of them there right now they will be doing loads of updates and they may also attempt to upload some video.

M

Moono75

Will have a good visual reference on Maafu's progress weight wise when I see him in a Force jersey. Hopefully it will be a little less like the pumpkin it has been in the past (not that there's anything wrong with that).

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Will have a good visual reference on Maafu's progress weight wise when I see him in a Force jersey. Hopefully it will be a little less like the pumpkin it has been in the past (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Some visuals of what im talking about

From this

salesi-ma-afu-420x0.jpg

To this
maafu.jpg

393617_278068705565219_142068615831896_730417_336859487_n.jpg

Sal1.jpg

Ill let you in on a true story. Last year i was down at the local junior rugby and i was walking pass one of the fields there was this massive guys walking towards me. He had that fat man waddle and he had a young kid walking next to him in a local teams jersey and i didnt think much of it untill i went past him and he had a force hat, but still it didnt click.

Now that day all the force boys where down running water for the juniors as they have done so now and then i stopped turned around and he was talking to a group of force players then it clicked IT WAS MAAFU... by the looks of it he has trimmed down abit.

Attachments

• Sal.jpg
    Sal.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 307

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Brumbies

Plenty of changes.. First half team is off.

On are (positions assumed, not confirmed)

1. Ruaidhri Murphy
2, Siliva,
3. Ruan Smith,
?. Tim Cree,
5. Oosthuizen,
? Fardy,
7. Smiler,
8. Fotu,

9. Prior,
?? Holmes,
?? Van Der Walt,
??. Rapana,
??
?? Cox,
15 Coleman.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting second half team in the forwards.........

I wonder who hasn't played tonight?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A possible first half pack could've been:

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Power/Kimlin
5. Carter
6. Kimlin/Mowen
7. Pocock
8. Mowen/Vaea

So there's at least one or two players verging on a starting position who might not have played.........

And I haven't even included Sio or Mann-Rea.........

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Brumbies 2nd XV just doing enough to hold on in the last 40.

We can await the video highlights.

Force players with some of their fans:

BCBGAAjCIAA1E0Y.jpg:large

BCBFDiMCIAIATc5.jpg:large

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In fairness, it would seem tonight that Godwin missed a long penalty from halfway and a conversion from the sideline.

But from watching the JWC, he's got a fair way to go as a goal kicker.

====
Report from Foxsports

Former Test winger Clyde Rathbone showed he has lost none of his skill, turning in a solid performance in his return from retirement as the Brumbies beat Western Force 20-18 in a Super Rugby trial.

Rathbone, who retired in 2009 due to injuries and suffered depression while away from the game, showed power to score Brumbies' second try of the night at TIO Stadium in Darwin.....​
As lightning crackled overhead on a warm Darwin night the Brumbies dominated the first half, with Matt To'omua also scoring a try to help build a 17-3 halftime lead.​
At the start of the second half Brumbies coach Jake White gave some of his less-experienced players a run, taking off Rathbone and former Force captain David Pocock. Pocock had been strong early in defence against his former teammates but never shone.​
Against the new faces and as the monsoon rains began to fall in the second half, the Force powered back. Brumbies loosehead prop Ruaidhri Murphy was sin-binned early in the second half after a professional foul.​
Force reserve Junior Rasolea scored a try with 10 minutes left in the game, but the conversion that would have levelled the scores was missed. The Force then pushed two penalty goal attempts wide.​

Status
Not open for further replies.