• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial - Rebels vs Waratahs - Saturday 1 February 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
NSW Waratahs team to play the Rebels
Pre-season trial match, Saturday February 1 (5pm)
Albury Sportsground, NSW
1. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
2. Tolu Latu (Sydney University)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
4. Greg Peterson (Manly)
5. Will Skelton (Sydney University)
6. Stephen Hoiles (invited player)
7. Pat McCutcheon (captain, Sydney University)
8. Tala Gray (Eastern Suburbs)
9. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
10. Kurtley Beale (TBC)
11. Matt Carraro (Randwick)
12. Jono Lance (TBC)
13. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
14. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
15. Ben Volavola (Southern Districts)

Replacements have yet to be confirmed.

The game will be broadcast on Rebel Radio http://melbournerebels.com.au/club/live-now

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not sure whether to post this here or in the 2014 Tahs thread: Is Crawford over his shoulder (?) surgery?
At least it not being played on Sunday:
Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 4.28.36 pm.png

Do they not know that it gets really hot in inland NSW in summer?

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rebels team with lots of new faces and positions:

1st Quarter: Tom Kingston, Alex Rokobaro, Lalakai Foketi, Lachlan Mitchell, Joe Kamana, Angus Roberts, Luke Burgess; Scott Higginbotham (C), Jordy Reid, Sean McMahon, Lopeti Timani, Luke Jones, Laurie Weeks, Steve Foulau, Max Lahiff.
2nd Quarter: Tom Kingston, Alex Rokobaro, Lachlan Mitchell, Lalakai Foketi, Joe Kamana, Angus Roberts, Ben Meehan; Scott Higginbotham (C), Jordy Reid, Sean McMahon, Lopeti Timani, Luke Jones, Cruze Ah-Nau, Steve Foulau, Eddie Aholelei
3rd Quarter: Jason Woodward, Tom Kingston, Tom English, Mitch Inman, Telusa Veainu, Bryce Hegarty, Nic Stirzaker; Lopeti Timani, Scott Fuglistaller, Colby Fainga'a, Luke Jones, Hugh Pyle, Paul Alo-Emile, Pat Leafa, Toby Smith
4th Quarter: Jason Woodward, Tom Kingston, Tom English, Mitch Inman, Telusa Veainu, Bryce Hegarty, Nic Stirzaker; Colby Fainga'a, Scott Fuglistaller, Sean McMahon, Luke Jones, Hugh Pyle, Paul Alo-Emile, Pat Leafa, Toby Smith

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'll be supporting the boys from my Fridge-like lounge room. As mentioned over on the Rebels thread I'm surprised not to see Cayden Neville on the list - injury? I would have rotated the front row each quarter; it's gonna be a hot one for the bookends.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
for tha rebels no Sam Jeffries, Cadyn Neville or Chris Thomson ! are thay all injured ?

no Debreczeni either

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fark me,Peterson must be dropping horses heads in people's beds.
He's not even one of the best two locks at Manly.

For some reason he was given a multiple year contract based on being an Australian schoolboy.

It appears as though he's been downgraded to an EPS contract this year. Based on what i can tell, Peterson, Lucas, Alofa, and Horwitz make up the EPS with one still to be named.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Outside of Lopeti at lock (him and Jones are a very small back row), the interest to me is in the subtle back line differences.

Kingston has obviously been signed as a outside back utility rather than a 13/wing. Inman is also playing a lot of 12 which makes me curious about how we'll play, specially with Ellison coming.

Though, like I think has been said, no point reading TOO much into it.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
hard to say its a top line waratahs starting line up, only a few regular first XV'rs (Ryan, McKibbin, Horne and Betham plus probables in Beale and Skelton (?) )

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
No Fanga either for the 'tahs? Still on his #BloodyVolvoDriver tour accross NSW? I thought they were planning to meet there for the game?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No Fanga either for the 'tahs? Still on his #BloodyVolvoDriver tour accross NSW? I thought they were planning to meet there for the game?

They've only named the starting side. He's definitely on the tour so I imagine he'll get some gametime.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Rebels teams for the second half look stronger than those for the first half. The Waratahs team has only been announced for the starters, so we don't know their whole squad.

In times past there seems to have been agreement between coaches that for the early trials, that is all except the last, that each team will run on their best team in opposite halves, presumably so that people don't get panicky if one team goes badly. From that Tah list you might guess that the second half squad might be stronger, but its hard to tell. Peterson at lock certainly does not inspire.

I don't know about horse's heads as ILTW has suggested, but I suspect that Peterson looked so good at schoolboy level that the Tahs put a lot of work into him that they are loathe to throw away. Tight five players mature somewhat later than backs and I think there is just a hope that he will suddenly blossom into the player they want him to be.

Being inland it will still be very hot at 4pm on Saturday, probably only two degrees off the max for the day. If the max is 40 then it will be a brutal game from a temperature point of view.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yeah, it'll be bloody hot at 4:00pm on Saturday, that's when the curtain-raiser competition will be in full swing. Let's hope it's cooled down a bit by 5:00pm. Good to see the trial's in four quarters, with plenty of drinks breaks.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't know about horse's heads as ILTW has suggested, but I suspect that Peterson looked so good at schoolboy level that the Tahs put a lot of work into him that they are loathe to throw away. Tight five players mature somewhat later than backs and I think there is just a hope that he will suddenly blossom into the player they want him to be.

I actually thought that Peterson looked pretty good for Manly in 2011 and has had 2 injury riddled seasons since then.

Given the Tahs are short on locks, I would be interested to know who else the Tahs could have signed from club land (who hasn't signed for another franchise).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I actually thought that Peterson looked pretty good for Manly in 2011 and has had 2 injury riddled seasons since then.

Given the Tahs are short on locks, I would be interested to know who else the Tahs could have signed from club land (who hasn't signed for another franchise).

I thought Monroe (spelling?) for Randwick looked pretty good last year. Has he signed up anywhere?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah, it'll be bloody hot at 4:00pm on Saturday.

Great planning by the teams for this one, 4pm - 6pm has been the hottest part of the day in this part of the world. I live in Wagga and the temp last night at 10pm was 29 Degrees at my joint, the tip is for warmer weather this weekend and this match will be played in 40 plus degree temps easily.

The Albury Steamers have organised misting tents for the teams but it will still be a bloody hot 20mins on the field!

Is @lindommer leading the #GAGRWineTour of the Riverina this year? I heard the local accommodation had stocked up on #ValeAle for this match

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Munro just filling a weak spot at Randwick last year, Very Handy Back Rower but yeah not tall enough for row, also only 21

Status
Not open for further replies.