• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial - Rebels vs Waratahs - Saturday 1 February 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
I wasn't there, but from what I read, the Rebels had pretty much their entire squad available. No Neville, but almost everyone else. I may be wrong though....
Looking at the team sheet, Tah's had no Kepu, TPN, Robbo (although I did hear he had some time in the second half) Douglas, Hooper, Dennis, Palu, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Folau.
I wouldn't look too deeply into the result, and judging by Cheiks comments after the game, he isn't to concerned.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Correct. Just a trial and it doesn't mean too much. But as we can see on the other thread the tahs are in dire financial strife. Another trial loss (who do they play next?) or two won't pull the crowds in.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Next trial is against the Blues. The Folau v Benji mungo mashup will get some bums on seats but only for that fact.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It was so hot in Albury this arvo (41 degrees at 6:30pm) I couldn't work out who was who when they were running around. The Tahs had someone carded at the start of the third quarter resulting in the Rebels running in three tries to start the last passage of play up 33-21. That was essentially the match. There were extensive stops to carry away the wounded (and exhausted) which stretched the game out quite a bit. I searched for yourmatesam at the officials' tent only to be shown a puddle on the ground where I was informed he sat a moment ago.

It was bloody hot. Spectating was extremely difficult.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
From the Tahs Media Unit.

NSW Waratahs get season underway in Albury

2/02/2014
By Waratahs Rugby Media Unit

NSW Waratahs 28 – 33 Melbourne Rebels
Super Rugby trial match, Albury

The NSW Waratahs last night completed their Waratahs Volvo Community Roadshow with an encouraging hit out against the Melbourne Rebels in an Albury scorcher.

NSW Waratahs coach Michael Cheika wasn’t disappointed about losing their opening trial 33-28 to the Rebels but he was disappointed they didn’t follow instructions, especially at the breakdown.

“I don’t care about the score, I care about the rules of engagement and we didn’t deliver on what we said we would,” said Cheika afterwards.

But the coach was not overcritical, claiming, “We are fit enough and will improve for our next game.”

It was a tough opener for both team. With the temperature hovering around the 41 degree mark, the match was played in four quarters but the heatwave conditions had little effect on the Waratahs’ start, with scrum half Brendan McKibbin scampering through a massive hole, 20 metres out to post his team’s first points after just two minutes. McKibbin converted to have the Waratahs leading 7-0.

The rest of the opening quarter turned into an arm wrestle, both sides unable to convert chances. The Rebels were denied an opportunity right on the bell, over the line but unable to ground the ball, leaving the scoreline unchanged at the first break in play.

The Rebels atoned early in the second quarter, with Mitch Inman crossing in the corner for Melbourne’s first try. The effort put them just two points off the pace, at 7-5.

Quick hands from a scrum put the straight-running Matt Carraro into space.

Although the winger looked set to be mowed down short of the line, a ‘don’t argue’ fend saw him power over untouched for the Waratahs’ second try. Brendan McKibbin converted to have the Tahs leading by 14-5 midway through the second quarter.

An overconfident Waratahs side was caught napping when Scott Higginbotham kicked from the scrum base, allowing flyer Ben Meehan to win an 80 metre race to cross on debut. Angus Roberts’ conversion cut the Waratahs lead to 14-12.

Trialling for a contract with the Waratahs, former Wallaby and Brumbies’ captain Stephen Hoiles put three years of injury behind him when he stormed over for a converted try to have the Waratahs cruising 21-12 after 40 minutes of football.

“Getting through the game without any discomfort to my Achilles is a great confidence booster,” says Hoiles, who went to Sweden for an operation to have one last shot at playing Super Rugby.

Also returning from injury, No. 8 Wycliff Palu started the third quarter, playing his first game since the Lions tour and coming through unscathed. “All good,” was Palu’s response after his first game since knee surgery nearly six months ago.

But the same could not be said for the Waratahs. Unsettled by the Rebels’ commitment at the breakdown and a string of penalties, the Waratahs were down to 14 men when Tim Metcher was yellow carded for a deliberate offside infringement.

The Rebels took advantage of the Waratahs being a man short. With momentum turning their way, young flyhalf Bryce Hegarty crossed for the Rebels’ third try and Jason Woodward’s conversion had the Rebels trailing by just two points at 21-19.

It was fullback Woodward who put the Rebels in front for the first time in the 66th minute, after backing up a break by hooker Pat Leafa . After converting his own try, the Rebels assumed a 26-21 lead.

But the Rebels weren’t done and, in the final minute of the third quarter, Tom English crossed for Melbourne’s third try of the period, extending their lead to 33-21 at three-quarter time.

The Waratahs improved in the final quarter but despite Peter Betham’s runaway try late in the match, they were unable to overtake the Rebels, going down five tries to four in front of the 3854-strong Albury crowd.

Despite the loss it wasn’t all gloom and doom for the Tahs, with Kurtley Beale making a successful return from shoulder surgery. “I copped a couple of serious knocks on the shoulder and it came through without any problems,” said Beale.

“I can’t wait to line up against Benji Marshall next week when we play the Blues.”

Melbourne Rebels 33 (tries: Inman, Meehan, Hegarty, Wooward, English; cons: Woodward 3, Roberts) def NSW Waratahs 28 (tries: McKibbin, Carraro, Hoiles, Betham; cons: McKibbin 3, Foley)

Half-time: NSW Waratahs 21 – 12 Melbourne Rebels
Yellow cards: Tim Metcher
Crowd: 3856

Good to see a little candour in a Tahs media report.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was so hot in Albury this arvo (41 degrees at 6:30pm) I couldn't work out who was who when they were running around. The Tahs had someone carded at the start of the third quarter resulting in the Rebels running in three tries to start the last passage of play up 33-21. That was essentially the match. There were extensive stops to carry away the wounded (and exhausted) which stretched the game out quite a bit. I searched for yourmatesam at the officials' tent, to be shown a puddle on the ground where I was informed he sat a moment ago.

It was bloody hot. Spectating was extremely difficult.

I hope you are not suggesting that @yourmatesam has the constitution of a popsicle are you?:)

Well done to the nearly 4000 spectators. If Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun, what about 4000 Southern Inlanders (and guests) in the 5pm heat?

Alternate report on the game here:

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This from AAP

The Melbourne Rebels reaped the rewards of a tough pre-season as they surged home to overcome the NSW Waratahs 33-28 on Saturday in their Super Rugby trial.

With the temperature hitting plus-40 degrees at Albury Sports Ground and the game played in quarters, the Rebels scored three tries in the third period to set up the win.

Melbourne had never previously won a trial game in their three years in the Super Rugby competition but, thanks to a gruelling pre-season campaign under new coach Tony McGahan, they powered home.

Rebel-turned-Tah Kurtley Beale played three quarters in his first match back from a shoulder reconstruction.

The Wallaby utility back rejoined the Waratahs after a tumultuous two years in Melbourne where he battled disciplinary and alcohol-related issues.

His Test season ended in June with a shoulder injury but Beale looked fit in his return and had some nice offloads in a busy game.

Beale played the opening half at five-eighth and then moved to fullback for the third quarter.

Regular NSW fullback Israel Folau, who only recently returned to training due to the Wallabies' tour in late 2013, ran the water for his team.

Melbourne trailed 21-12 at halftime, with NSW halfback Brendan McKibbin opening the scoring for his team.

The try of the half was set up by Rebels skipper Scott Higginbotham, who showed his rugby smarts to take a quick tap from a penalty and grubber the ball downfield.

Halfback Ben Meehan won the 40m race to the ball to close the lead to 14-12.

However, former Wallaby back-rower Stephen Hoiles, playing for a NSW contract, extended that to 19-12 with a try just before halftime.

Bryce Hegarty started at five-eighth for the Rebels in the second half and sparked the attack as he sidestepped his way through for a try.

Fullback Jason Woodward converted and then crossed for a try of his own to give his team the lead for the first time in the match.

Former Waratah Tom English scored after the three-quarter time hooter in his first match for his new team.

Another former Rebel Peter Betham crossed for a late try, converted by Bernard Foley, but the Waratahs couldn't close the gap.

Rebels coach McGahan was delighted for his players that they were able to secure the well-deserved win.

"It was hard to get a read on it because both sides used 30 odd players but, for us, we want to develop a winning culture and this was a part of it."

He praised the work of his back-row, whose plentiful turnovers were crucial to the victory with Wallaby Higginbotham - returning from shoulder and hip surgery - leading the way.

"He played himself really hard and, the way he has trained, he was able to transfer that to the game."

NSW coach Michael Cheika felt his side needed to improve at the breakdown but was satisfied with the performance.

"I just wanted them to get a hitout.

"There was a couple of areas where we struggled a bit.

"We didn't have a lot of ball and, when we did, we looked good but we struggled a bit on attacking ruck and turnover defence.

"All in all, that's the first one down and we got what we wanted from the week."

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
It was deadest scorching there yesterday but a great show put on by the Steamers down there. The Albury Tigers AFL side deserve some wraps for having that ground looking the way it did. There must be some serious dosh rolling around in the O&M League down on the border to maintain that pitch.

Box Hill looked handy in the 10's comp before the main game, not sure how they will fair during the season as I've not seen any Vic Premier Rugby but they were fit and showed some handy skills. They drew against the Albury League Team (Albury Thunder 2013 Undefeated Premiers) and the winner was decided on count back - most tries in the day 16 v 14.

Adam Frier had a run during the 10's tournament which was good to see.

I don't think the Tahs will be too stressed about the loss, Folau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would have made a difference. The Rebels played pretty well with a near full-strength squad from what I could make out. The Rebels appeared to be fitter that the Tahs IMO.

Rebels #9 Stirzaker was throwing some wild passes at times during the game and this would be something they'd be keen to get under control if he's going to be a backup to Burgess.

I had the chance to get into the Tahs shed just before kickoff and it was unreal how relaxed the NSW shed was, Cheika, Palu, Fatcat, Dennis and the rest of the team just seemed very calm before kickoff. From what I've heard about Cheika, he has that relaxed, cool, calm attitude which is something the Tahs need more of. Putting this game into context, it was a trial game and things might be different during the season?

D

daz

I was there, and it has taken me this long to recover.

41 in the shade, hotter out there on the paddock. The boys were playing the game at the entrance gates to Hades. It really can't have been good for them.

Don't read a single thing into this. It was nothing more than a rust-shedding exercise for both teams, and it was great to see rugby back in 2014. Great also to see Albury roll out the welcome mat, but I saw it self-combust around 5pm.

Spent time with a few of the Rebels lads afterwards. Fair to say they were absolutely knackered.

Very relaxed atmosphere and both teams did seem to enjoy a regional setting for a bit of a change.

D

daz

Rebels #9 Stirzaker was throwing some wild passes at times during the game and this would be something they'd be keen to get under control if he's going to be a backup to Burgess.

There were a few wild throws during the game, but as a few of the boys said afterwards, with the amount of sweat out there the ball was as slippery as a bar of soap.

I tell you what though, young Nic has hit the gym in the off-season. he is still a pretty wirey kid, but he has certainly added a bit of upper body bulk to his frame.

He provided quick service, and directed things pretty well. And he is still a yappy little bugger!

Having said that, Burgo was clearly still a few steps of class above the kid, as you would expect.

trevor cork

Stan Wickham (3)
I note, in the Rebels team in the first two quarters included Lalakai Foketi. I'm assuming that is the 2012 Aust schoolboy and 2013 Manly 1sts colts, if so, impressive!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I note, in the Rebels team in the first two quarters included Lalakai Foketi. I'm assuming that is the 2012 Aust schoolboy and 2013 Manly 1sts colts, if so, impressive!

Yeah he's down here full time, but he's got a weird type of contract that's not even EPS.

He's going to play club footy at Box Hill all year and then play in the NPC for Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.