• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial - Rebels vs Waratahs - Saturday 1 February 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronzewhaler

Stan Wickham (3)
From where I sat - bloody hot.
1st half absolutely brutal in pace and venom.
For the Tah's: First time I have ever seen Will Skelton SMASH in to the rucks and mauls ( as apposed to flopping in). Great to see.
McKibben showed his class in deceiving defence by using the referee and racing away to score great try. Beale showed he is clearly up for the challenge.
Rebels: Higginbotham lead from the front with Reid being an absolute menace at the breakdowns.
2nd half: different style of game.
Tah's: early in third quarter deliberate off side by Metcher stopped a try, deserved yellow card and lost the game for the Tah's. Phipps was all class with passing off the ground.
Rebels: Higginbotham lead from the front with Kingston & Woodward showing good pace. Good for Australian rugby to see Rebels keep there foot on Tah's throat when they were down a man.
Man of Match: Higginbotham.
Runner up: everyone else who played what was an entertaining no quarters given game in subhuman conditions.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I note, in the Rebels team in the first two quarters included Lalakai Foketi. I'm assuming that is the 2012 Aust schoolboy and 2013 Manly 1sts colts, if so, impressive!

Yeah that's him—and he also played for Oz U/20 last year and will repeat in 2014.

A classy type of outside centre who is, however, fast enough to play on the wing.

Watch this kid.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Any reports on how Jono Lance and Rob Horne went? It would seem that they were the main two in the starting side who will be fighting it out for a starting jersey in round 1.

Betham is also a certain starter on one wing (especially as Crawford is out).

Aside from those three players I'd guess that perhaps only McKibbin is a chance to be a starter in round 1 and that will probably depend on whether he gets the goal kicking duties. Sounds like he played well though.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Did I read somewhere that the Rebels scored three of their tries while the Tah's had a player in the sin bin?

trevor cork

Stan Wickham (3)
Yeah that's him—and he also played for Oz U/20 last year and will repeat in 2014.

A classy type of outside centre who is, however, fast enough to play on the wing.

Watch this kid.

So how will it work? will he play in the NSW or VIC team at the nationals?
assuming that he is not trialing with NSW at the moment.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So how will it work? will he play in the NSW or VIC team at the nationals?
assuming that he is not trialing with NSW at the moment.
Victoria doesn't have a team in the Oz Under 20 nationals to be held in Canberra in March.

NSW and Qld each have a team and there will be a third team from the rest of Australia—Foketi will play for this team.

The fourth team will be an invited team from Tonga.

Details of how the players will be selected for the third Aussie team are in a blog I did in January.

It is here (on the top of page 2):

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/new-aussie-competitions-part-ii-under-20s/

Further discussion on the Oz Under 20 team should be made in the Under 20 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.