• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial: Reds v Blues, Toowoomba, Saturday 2/2/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Toowoomba Sports Ground: Sat 2nd February, Kickoff 7pm

Queensland Reds

1. Albert Anae
2. James Hanson
3. Jono Owen
4. Blake Enever
5. Adam Wallace-Harrison(vc)
6. Nigel Ah Wong
7. Eddie Quirk
8. Radike Samo

9. Ben Lucas
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Anthony Fainga'a (c)
14. Luke Morahan
15. Mike Harris

Replacements: Curtis Browning , Jarrad Butler, Rod Davies, Saia Fainga'a Kevin Davis, Nick Frisby, Liam Gill, Greg Holmes, Jono Lance, Tom Murday, UJ Seuteni, James Slipper, Rex Tapuai, Aidan Toua

BLUES

15. Marty McKenzie
14. Waisake Naholo
13. Malakai Fekitoa
12. Jackson Willison
11. Frank Halai
10. Baden Kerr
9. Bryn Hall

8. Peter Saili
7. Luke Braid (c)
6. Kane Barrett
5. Ronald Raymakers
4. Liaki Moli
3. Angus Ta'avao
2. James Parsons
1. Tom McCartney

Reserves: Albert Nikoro, Lolagi Visinia, Pita Ahki, Francis Saili, Jamison Gibson-Park, Joe Edwards, Sean Polwart, Brendon O'Connor, Steven Luatua, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Tim Perry, Quentin MacDonald

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
McKenzie giving a number of fringe players a chance up front. Room was made yesterday for yet another rising youngster when Wallabies hooker Saia Fainga'a pulled up sore in training and was replaced by former England under-20 frontrower Kevin Davis, a regular prop being converted to hooker.

www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rugby-union/gloves-come-off-as-quade-fights-to-win-back-respect/story-e6frg7o6-1226567061281

Multiple twitter feeds here:

[twitter=Reds v Blues]from:Reds_Rugby OR from:BluesRugbyTeam[/twitter]

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That looks like being the Reds full strength backline with the possible inclusion of Shipperley. Quades not being available for the next one has probably forced Link's hand into running it out this week. In contrast, with everyone fit I can't see any pigs in the XV on Feb 16.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Who i making the trip up the range?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Perfect weather in Toowoomba: pics via twitter courtesy of RugbyReg:

BCDSqbSCYAEUv-4.jpg%20large.jpg

BB_-uHRCEAAjU0O.jpg%20large.jpg

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Gillian wants to go I'm hesitating. 2 hours drive each way! I reckon we should go!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Ruggo, others will know more on Enever but the Reds had him in a PR story recently for the Sunny Coast trial next week.

Ex Sunshine Coast Stingrays player, now with Easts (I think):

ibyg3QJIaVMVnu.jpg

THE Queensland Reds will play reigning Super Rugby champion the Waikato Chiefs in an enticing trial match on the Coast in February.

The Reds plan to field a top-strength side for the February 8 clash at Stockland Sunshine Coast Stadium as they finetune for a Super Rugby season-opener against the Brumbies eight days later.

A former Sunshine Coast Grammar student, 21-year-old Blake Enever, is vying for a Reds run-on spot against the Chiefs.

..... The 200cm, 112kg Enever is unsure what to feel at the prospect of running out again in front of hometown supporters.

He made his Reds debut in last season's exhibition match against the Wellington Hurricanes on the Coast.

"It'll be both exciting and nervous at the same time," he said. "But if given the opportunity I'll give it my best and see what happens, but a home crowd advantage would be nice."

Enever, who is yet to start in a Super Rugby match and has played only a handful of minutes off the bench, is no guarantee to play against the Chiefs.

Graham said: "He's playing well at the moment (but) you've got 35 guys, and Blake's one of the locks fighting hard for a spot."

Graham said Enever's main competition for the starting lock spot were former Wallabies captain James Horwill and Rob Simmons.
Read more: Clicky. Also: Here.

FORMER Sunshine Coast Stingray Blake Enever has bolted into contention for a spot in the Queensland Reds' top 22. Enever was named yesterday in the Reds' starting line-up for their first trial, against the Blues in Toowoomba on Saturday night.

He will start in the second row alongside Adam Wallace-Harrison in a side that features 11 Wallabies. The selection has put the 21-year-old firmly in the frame for regular Super Rugby appearances this year.

He gets his chance in the starting side due to the absence of captain James Horwill (hamstring) and Rob Simmons, who will return from suspension in round one. Horwill is a chance to make his return from injury in the side's second and final trial, against the Chiefs on the Sunshine Coast next Friday.

Reds director of coaching Ewen McKenzie suggested yesterday that Horwill was one of a handful of players he would be willing to take into the Super Rugby season-opener against the Brumbies without a trial under the belt.

Whether he is willing to take the same gamble on Simmons is unknown, leaving room for Enever to elbow his way into the frame early in the season.

While former Stingray Enever, who has one Super Rugby cap to his name, is behind Horwill, Simmons and Wallace-Harrison in the pecking order, he has established himself as fourth in line and a big chance to play regular football this season.

McKenzie said form would dictate selections and there were opportunities for players such as Enever to push their claims during the pre-season.....

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well we decided to drive up the hill to watch the risk. Perfect weather nice looking field with a nice slope to the west. The locals are friendly and the Reds boys look raring to go. Haven't seen the blues team yet. Looking forward to the first game of the year.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Bernie, Jake and Laurie just strolled past.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Can't be too wise they're in the wrong country town

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Angus taavao in off the back of a maul. 7-0 blues.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Another ruck on the goal line same result. 2nd man looks too wide in defence. 14-0

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Best bit of play for the Reds. Nice break out and chase from Nigel Ah Wong. And a good run from. Ioane

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Try Reds A Forward over off yet another ruck. 14-5

Status
Not open for further replies.