• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial: Reds v Blues, Toowoomba, Saturday 2/2/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Jono Lance apparently:

Full gambit for Quade Cooper in Reds' win
Wayne Smith, The Australian: February 02, 2013
QUADE Cooper was his mercurial self, wonderful one moment, woeful the next.​
..... Still, he was one of only four players McKenzie kept in the contest for 60 minutes – the majority were given only 40 – and he was pleased with what his champion playmaker delivered in what was his only pre-season trial. (He will miss the Chiefs trial because his charity fight is scheduled for the same night.)​
..... “Quade was fine. We played a little wide early but then we played more direct. From 14-0 down, we scored three tries in a row while he was out there.”​
..... Cooper, collecting a loose ball in the last line of defence, embarrassingly was stripped of possession in front of his own posts and could only sit and watch helplessly as Nikoro scampered away for a shock try.​
That was to be Cooper’s last contribution to the night’s proceedings, with Jono Lance taking over in the playmaking position.
..... Regular goalkicker Mike Harris stepped up to take over from Cooper and instantly reminded Reds fans of his unerring ability to land pressure goals by converting Gill’s try from the touchline.​
Read more: HERE

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wheatman said:
If you were a Blues fan I don't know what you would take from this apart from the good work of Braid and the loosehead prop. He seemed to set their play in midfield when setting up phases. Their #10 found space early with some good tactical kicking - then was quiet. Apart from that, it was broken play when they looked dangerous. It would have been good to see some more of their starters/stars, maybe next time.

Basically don't think the Blues have any stars left Wheatman, apart from Weepu and Ali Williams, think most of them have left.
Going up to Caloundra on friday to watch Reds/Chiefs, so will be interesting to see how they go.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
[quote="Wheatman, post If you were a Blues fan I don't know what you would take from this apart from the good work of Braid and the loosehead prop. He seemed to set their play in midfield when setting up phases. Their #10 found space early with some good tactical kicking - then was quiet. Apart from that, it was broken play when they looked dangerous. It would have been good to see some more of their starters/stars, maybe next time.

Basically don't think the Blues have any stars left Wheatman, apart from Weepu and Ali Williams, think most of them have left.
Going up to Caloundra on friday to watch Reds/Chiefs, so will be interesting to see how they go.[/quote]

I actually think that having very few stars is good for us. The Blues have relied too much on them in the past perhaps and these young guns will hopefully be looking to prove themselves.

You did forget about Renee Ranger though. I'm hoping this will be a massive year for him. I'm glad it looks like he will play most of the year at 13....get him the ball more often.[/quote]

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Ranger and Weepu were the main ones I could think of, not sure whether Ali Williams is still running about in NZ. Their backline will be potent if they can use them. Forwards will be a worry as the attacking structure was obvious, and set piece wasn't great.
As for the other 10 it was Jono Lance. Both he and Quade had the 10 jersey on for the 3rd quarter. I really like Jono, did a slide to pick up the ball in defence - used one arm to pick up the ball, to other to push off straight away. So hard to do.. Tough defender, great skills.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Blues look like they are doing the right thing by getting plenty of ITM Cup players involved after what was a successful season for the NPC side.

After a couple of dismal seasons they really need to start rebuilding with some younger players. There has clearly been plenty wrong with their S15 side.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Anyone know if they will have a video highlights package from this game up sometime this week? With all the highlights packages the Reds Team has been pumping out I was kinda expecting we would get at least a minute or two from this game.

Anyone connected to the Reds know if there is any footage floating around?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Ranger and Weepu were the main ones I could think of, not sure whether Ali Williams is still running about in NZ. Their backline will be potent if they can use them. Forwards will be a worry as the attacking structure was obvious, and set piece wasn't great.
As for the other 10 it was Jono Lance. Both he and Quade had the 10 jersey on for the 3rd quarter. I really like Jono, did a slide to pick up the ball in defence - used one arm to pick up the ball, to other to push off straight away. So hard to do.. Tough defender, great skills.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Ali WIlliams is the captain this year as Kevin Mealamu is taking a break for a number of rounds I think.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Finally for those that couldn't make it to the game, The Blues have posted some match video onto YouTube.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Bullrush, I forgot Kevvie too and Charlie Faumuina, though to be honest I not sure I consider Ranger much chop, but having said that he will now probably have a blinder of a season just to make me look silly (ier). I really looking forward to see how Blues go this year, I really rate young Piutau and think he may surprise some this year.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Agree....he looks dangerous.

I'm a big Renee Ranger fan - some of the tries he's scored the last few seasons are just un-believeable. He has a great mix of speed and power (although not fast enough to be a winger I reckon) and he usually good for a pilfer or two each game. He's got real mongrel that just wants to wreck havoc.....hopefully he's learned how to reign that in a bit this year though....

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Finally for those that couldn't make it to the game, The Blues have posted some match video onto YouTube.
Thanks, Scoey.

Eish. No wonder the Reds haven't posted their video. Some ropey defence out there.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Eish. No wonder the Reds haven't posted their video. Some ropey defence out there.
That was my first thought when I saw it too! That's what trials are for but. The maul defence at the start was horrible! They were rusty for sure, the real mark will be how much rust they've managed to shake off between then and Friday!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The ruck defence for both teams was pretty damn poor.

That hit from Lance was a beauty, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.