• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial: Reds v Blues, Toowoomba, Saturday 2/2/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Cheers Sully, thanks again. Good to get under way with a win. The Blues won't be unhappy with that either.

something

Jim Clark (26)
can someone give an update as to who played well? any one play badly? good decision making bad decision making?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Australian's take (I was actually joking with the defence quip):

QUADE Cooper was his mercurial self, wonderful one moment, woeful the next.
Once again he was used at fullback in defence and it would seem all the boxing training he has undertaken during the off-season has not toughened up his tackling appreciably as the big Blues wingers repeatedly treated his attempted tackles with disdain.

Admittedly, the Reds obligingly were keeping them in the game through shoddy handling and even shoddier defence.........
A Fainga'a also requires X-rays for a hand injury.........
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...oper-in-reds-win/story-e6frg7mf-1226567464112

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
To be fair the Blues wingers were at least 20kgs heavier than Quade! he was only at full back on set plays i defence and defended at flyhalf everywhere else. there was 12 or 13 changes at half time and the backline did not defend well.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Albert Nikoro, (Blues try scorer) made a big impression.

iRcF2nCRqzKBW.jpg

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Great to see the Reds hit Toowoomba for the first time in a while. It was a great night for rugby with the temp quite cool and only a little wind. Biggest crowd I've seen at the stadium, but I've only been there for rugby matches.
My standouts for the game (1st Half): Adam Wallace-Harrison, Diggers, Samo (looks fit and keen!), Mike Harris
2nd Half: Liam Gill, Jono Lance.
It took a little while for the forwards to get on top initially with Auckland getting two tries through theirs, but certainly in the second quarter they were dominating. I liked the go of the long-haired flanker (inspired by an youthful uncut Higgers?) hit the ball up hard and was heavily involved. The backs looked sharp, and I'm starting to come around to Harris at full-back - came into line well, made the extra man on a number of plays. Morahan had some good runs at wing, and Diggers made some yards out of nothing and got a bloody nose for his troubles. Second half was only one or two minutes old and Liam Gill had made his first steel. He ran with purpose and a step. Great to see Jono Lance back on the field and was impressed by his skills. It got fairly scrappy in stages with the Reds giving up the ball in attack, and the Blues counter attacking for tries twice plus some poor defence. I'd love to know where they get their wingers, HUGE! Good to see Rocket get a run too, still has some speed although his tackling isn't the best. That said I wouldn't get near the guy he was marking!
Quade - Mixed night. His play was very good in patches, and him getting stripped of the ball in defence (albeit from a hospital pass by Rod Davies) for a blues try was the low point. Look timid in contact, but it's his first game back so I'll give him a pass mark... except for his place kicking!
Ben Lucas v Nick Frisby - Felt Ben was more reliable and his service was more accurate. Nicks box kicks very good and attacking, quick tap run then link with Quade was excellent. A few bad passes and a couple of poor territory kicks (1 or 2 out on the full) unfortunately blotted his copybook. I'd go Ben at this stage, bring Nick off the bench especially if team needs some spark.
It'll be interesting to see how the next trial goes, but I was really happy to see an eager Samo, great pilfering by Gill and the backline + reserve backs doing well. Some selection headaches there, certainly. My only other comment was that I was again confused by some of the scrum rulings, and I hope Scott Allen/Sully and/or some of the other watchers might be able to comment on.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
My only other comment was that I was again confused by some of the scrum rulings, and I hope Scott Allen/Sully and/or some of the other watchers might be able to comment on.

Was too far away to work out what was going on in the scrums but I also didn't see signals from the referee on a couple of occasions so wasn't even sure what infringement he found.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks Scott, by the looks of the photos you and Sully weren't far from me. I'd like to think most of the defensive lapses were due to a little rustiness with combinations, but there was some one on ones that should have been made. If you were a Blues fan I don't know what you would take from this apart from the good work of Braid and the loosehead prop. He seemed to set their play in midfield when setting up phases. Their #10 found space early with some good tactical kicking - then was quiet. Apart from that, it was broken play when they looked dangerous. It would have been good to see some more of their starters/stars, maybe next time.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
We were the guys looking at our phones all night long.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.